• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Professional equipment inspection

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Paying a little extra for something that needs little or no work, is worth the grief it saves.
Always good to get a 2 ounce sample from the planetaries, hydraulics and engine. I did this for a guy who wanted to buy a machine and we found out that the planetaries that had just had the oil changed still had 10 times the allowable iron and silica in them.
He walked away from the perfect buy without any stress for about $400 total time and samples.
Remember a couple hundred dollars is chicken scratch compared to a new planetary, or hydraulic pump problem. That is my suggestion.
Simon C

skyking1

Lots of guys would know, @John C. @LACHAU are a couple of guys that come to mind.
One of the forum members has one that he has rebuilt completely. I wonder what year he has?
EDIT LOL
Go search 'komatsu PC360" here
Look at all the troubles that they have with the -10
One guy reported getting one over another machine and is happy.
@Dirt Butcher how is that 360 doing for you, 10 years later?

Last edited:

skyking1

For your purposes I would go pre-emissions based on the KISS principle. Nothing triggers issues with complicated systems better than infrequent use. It is annoying as all get out, but the complicated stuff treats you better with regular use.

crane operator

Any particular reason you want such a big machine? They burn a lot of fuel and wear out a lot of expensive undercarriage. And take big expensive parts, and you need big equipment to work on them.

Most larger excavators, used, have been in hard use production work, because that’s what you need such a big excavator for. Either time constraints on big road projects, or mining heavy production. No “light use” in the big machines.

100,000k would buy you such a better machine, in a much easier to haul 40-50,000lbs package .Which would actually be easier to sell when you’re done with it.

Without haul trucks and lots of other help, how can you make the case for such a large ex.?

skyking1

My understanding is this is a fun machine for a large acreage that needs some big doings, stumping and the like. He does not intend to move it after it gets there, so that is not an issue.

ianjoub

Any particular reason you want such a big machine? They burn a lot of fuel and wear out a lot of expensive undercarriage. And take big expensive parts, and you need big equipment to work on them.

Most larger excavators, used, have been in hard use production work, because that’s what you need such a big excavator for. Either time constraints on big road projects, or mining heavy production. No “light use” in the big machines.

100,000k would buy you such a better machine, in a much easier to haul 40-50,000lbs package .Which would actually be easier to sell when you’re done with it.

Without haul trucks and lots of other help, how can you make the case for such a large ex.?
I want a toy. Bigger toys are better than smaller toys. I will likely put less than a few hundred hours per year on it. Fuel costs: it is what it is. I won't fly to Ibiza this year if I spend too much on diesel ;)

I have some acreage. It is going there. It will move there, and maybe move out some day if I sell off or die.

This is not a business. I can afford repairs if needed, though I would like to avoid expenses as much as anyone else. I do want something that will work more than sit and need things fixed, but am not willing to commit to a new machine. That doesn't make sense to tie up that sort of money and realize that sort of loss in the end.