• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Power rake or Preparator

AllDodge

After some construction I need to get the lawn in shape. Have spread around dirt with the backhoe and need to do some smoothing this spring. Rental place has a power rake and Preparator. The power rake will go deeper it seems, and don't know if that would be a benefit or not, just want it smooth enough to reseed.

Tags

Hi personally have never used a preporator, but I’ve had a Harley rake on a skid steer for the last 18 years or so, I would think it would do everything you need, not only does it kick the rocks out but it does a great jobof loosening the soil as well as cutting highs and filling low spots as well. I usually hit the area from a couple of different directions to get it leveled up, then on a final pass I’ll run it forward, place the rake over the pile of soil and stones, put it in float and back up running the rake in the opposite direction, this leaves a great fluffed up soil and only leaves the tire marks from the rake. I’m pretty sure the member KSSS runs a preperator and is very happy with it, hopefully he will chime in.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Yes really like the Preparator. I had a Rock Hound in the mid 90's an it just wasn't heavy enough to handle the large amount of rock we have here. The Preparator holds up a lot better. You can get about 1.5" of depth with the Preparator depending on the wear on the teeth. They make two sizes of the Prep. and when they are full of rock it is pretty heavy. If you go with one, make sure your machine is capable of handling the size you bought. I like being able to move the rock without having to switch back over to a bucket to move the rock collected with the Prep. I think a Harley and Prep both can deliver a similar product at the end of the day.

AllDodge

Thanks guys, but looks like they both can do the same job but the preparator will collect the rocks. My place is red claw mostly and not much rock. One faster then the other maybe

Have 2 buddies with CTL, 75HP Kubota and a 120HP Takeuchi and think they should be able to handle either piece of equipment.

AllDodge

Watched a vid where a beginner used both on hard soil. His comment came down to the power rake will dig in due to being able to apply down force. The proparator bounced some when it hit hard stuff until it got weight being build up from the rocks. The proparator produced a smoother finished surface and collects the rock. Just looking they both would be ready for seeding

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've used both, I prefer the Harley Rake. As KSSS mentioned, the Preparator will collect the debris for you but depending on soil conditions it can come at a cost. If the soil is damp or sticky you can lose a lot of it during the collection of stones. And as you mentioned it won't till as deep as the Harley, important is you're dealing with rough graded soil. With the Harley Rake and box wings on, you can grade road base material like a pro.

It will take some practice but if you're patient you can prepare a seed bed every bit as fine as the Preparator, but you'll have to switch to the bucket to move the stones. I can get soil to the point where I just drag the hand rake upside down over the seams to smooth them before seeding. The Harley Rake can also help you dry soil in wet conditions, make a deep pass to fluff it and let it sit a day or two and it will be workable. I've also taken heavy clay soil and blended in compost, sand and pea gravel with the Harley Rake to make decent topsoil.