• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

possible case 580 super m bad hydraulic pump?!?

dregula

I bought the backhoe with weak dipper movement, especially cold. I changed fluid and filter with still no change. Someone told me there could possibly be a suction screen so i took an air hose and blew into the fluid for the possible screen with hopes to maybe knock some crud (if theres even a screen) now i have absoluetly no movement on anything. slight engine bog when i try forward and reverse with a tiny whine when i rev it up. Wondering what i could have done and if maybe i finished off a bad pump if thats what it was in the first place, which would be good so i could change it and be on my way. Any thoughts would be great. thanks!!

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
A bad hydraulic pump wouldn't effect the transmission or shuttle but aerating the oil wouldn't help . Let it idle until it's warmed up and dissipated the air then try and move the machine. If it was only the dipper slow then most likely it was related to the dipper cylinder or the dippers control valve is my guess I'm no mechanic.

JBrady

If you changed the hyd fluid and filter, your hyd pump will need to be primed. The hyd reservoir tank is pressurized since it sits physically lower than the pump and can't gravity feed. The operators manual tells you how to do this or there are a number of threads on here describing the process. The forward and reverse problem is not related to your pump not being primed. That all happens on the other side of the engine (transmission,shuttle, etc.). Someone more knowledgeable than me will probably be along shortly that can give you some tips on that.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
As Brady said it needs primed but the movements being slow could be another issue, If you have no movement in any hoe or loader function you either have a very bad pump or an air lock in the suction, I worked many years on those and have seen hydraulic pumps ruined on an oil and filter change on the hydraulic system, for whatever reason some pumps will not pick up a prime and the pumps will run dry and cause internal damage. For insurance when changing the filter and oil I take a fitting and hose and put it onto the pressure test port and turn the engine till oil flows out that hose into a bucket, It is a standard 1/4 " flatface coupler on the LH side of the machine by the engine accessible from underneath on the pressure pipe from the pump back to the loader valve. Do not run it for any extended period not working or the pump will be trash. been there and have the TEE shirt