• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Plowing

CAT140H

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
A few pictures after our big snow storm. Had about 1 foot of snow and 50 mile an hour wind for couple days. Also a Sask sun dog.

Attachments

• 2010, Jan 25  004.jpg
    2010, Jan 25 004.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2,519
  • 2010, Jan 25  005.jpg
    2010, Jan 25 005.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,537
  • 2010, Jan 26  000.jpg
    2010, Jan 26 000.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 2,497

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Neat photos. Sun dog is great. What have you got the grader? Vee and wing?

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I enjoy pics, but I expected to see deeper snow coming from a Canadian. Maybe you were just busy pulling levers in those spots and didn't get pics?? ;)

Here's what windy snow looks like in Missouri. First is after plowing a path with V-plow, second is after winged back, last is picture of grader and wing.

Attachments

• DSC00380.jpg
    DSC00380.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 2,401
  • DSC00384.jpg
    DSC00384.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,421

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Ooppss, for some reason the third pic didn't take, here it is.

Attachments

• DSC00391.jpg
    DSC00391.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 2,401

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Here's another one to get an idea of how high and far out the wing will reach.

Attachments

• DSC00379.jpg
    DSC00379.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 2,417

CAT140H

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I enjoy pics, but I expected to see deeper snow coming from a Canadian. Maybe you were just busy pulling levers in those spots and didn't get pics?? ;)

Here's what windy snow looks like in Missouri. First is after plowing a path with V-plow, second is after winged back, last is picture of grader and wing.

We don't plow side roads (trails). Also our mower guys do a good job in cutting the grass and it helps to keep the snow from piling up. I've been here for 22 years and haven't carried a plow only a wing. The other grader has a dozer and if I run into trouble he comes and punches a hole for me which is very seldom.

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
Hey ovrszd, looks like some wet sticky snow? How long does the snow stick around? Days,weeks,months, or eternity.lol. We just had a blizzard on Monday. Only had a couple of inches but had 50 mph winds, had some roads with 6 ft drifts across them. Spent 13 hrs tuesday going over them with the truck plow and today ( Wednesday) going out with the grader w/ v-plow and wing to open some roads that i couldn't get with the truck. sick of winter already. :Banghead we still have 2 months of snow left though.

Alberta

Occupation
maintenance supervisor
Funny how things are changing.....Here in the great white north, our machine only ran for about a week (scarifying roads because of freezing rain) since mid-november. Glad to see that there is still snow out there.
:lmao:canada

w2bstoned

That double wing looks neat.... I would love to see some up close pics... Does the grader handle that well being so far out from the machine?

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Hey ovrszd, looks like some wet sticky snow? How long does the snow stick around? Days,weeks,months, or eternity.lol. We just had a blizzard on Monday. Only had a couple of inches but had 50 mph winds, had some roads with 6 ft drifts across them. Spent 13 hrs tuesday going over them with the truck plow and today ( Wednesday) going out with the grader w/ v-plow and wing to open some roads that i couldn't get with the truck. sick of winter already. :Banghead we still have 2 months of snow left though.

We just missed that last snow, fifty miles North of me they got hit hard, closed Interstate Hwy 35 North of Des Moines which is about 80 miles North of me.

We have had snow on the ground since early December. Still have the drifts but flat land has melted off. I'm hoping next week we'll get some warmer weather so I can take the chains off and do some road shaping. My roads got rutted real bad with our meltoff. They'll really suck to plow snow if I don't get them smoothed.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
That double wing looks neat.... I would love to see some up close pics... Does the grader handle that well being so far out from the machine?

Here's a link to a thread I posted concerning the wing, has some good closeup pictures.

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=15806

The grader handles it very well. Of course that's dependant on how hard packed the snow is. If our snow drifts it's usually because it's light and fluffy. If I get on it quick before a warm sunny day seals it I don't have problems and can stick the wing out as far as I can reach.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
We don't plow side roads (trails). Also our mower guys do a good job in cutting the grass and it helps to keep the snow from piling up. I've been here for 22 years and haven't carried a plow only a wing. The other grader has a dozer and if I run into trouble he comes and punches a hole for me which is very seldom.

TRAILS!!! Those are our main roads!!! You obviously have elevated roadbeds. I've used my plow three times already this winter. :notworthy

Isn't it interesting to see the differences in terrain, equipment, road conditions??

When my township board asks me what we need I always say elevated roadbeds. But that cost serious money. I elevated a mile last year at a total cost of $25,000. We are on a $45,000 annual budget.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
After a windy snow, this is an example of the first thing I see.

Attachments

• DSC00475.jpg
    DSC00475.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,402

graderman52

Occupation
Finish Grader Operator
I would say you need a plow with that snow ovrszd. I was looking at your wing, wouldn't a rear mounted wing work better. When I plowed snow for the county I hated this low roads for the same reason they would plug so badly then with each additional storm they would plug in deeper and harder. With a annual budget of $45,000 you will not get much of a road built, around here at least $85,000 per mile for a good road

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
I would say you need a plow with that snow ovrszd. I was looking at your wing, wouldn't a rear mounted wing work better. When I plowed snow for the county I hated this low roads for the same reason they would plug so badly then with each additional storm they would plug in deeper and harder. With a annual budget of $45,000 you will not get much of a road built, around here at least $85,000 per mile for a good road

I've never used a rear mounted wing so I can't answer that. Where I have drift problems the roadbed is lower than the surrounding area. That's why there's a problem. In the picture above you can see vegetation sticking out of the snow on each side, so it's probably less than a foot deep out in those fields. In that roadbed the deepest snow is five feet deep. The roadbanks are 3-6 feet high. With the wing I use I have the ability to reach up onto that road bank and pile snow. When I cleared that road I piled the snow over and past the old rows which you can see sticking out of the drifts. Would a rear mounted wing reach out that far and that high?? We don't use this wing because it's necessarily best. We use it because that's what we have. It's a carry over from the old rigid framed CAT 12 we had when I started in 1989. Kind of a use what ya got thing. :)

graderman52

Occupation
Finish Grader Operator
I see you can really get that wing up high ovrszd, in a rear mount by lifting the front mast you would not get that high, but I think you could push it back just as well.

Last edited: