• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pipeline Thread

Turbo21835

I believe it is all union work. I wish I had my union card....

Not only would you need a union card, but a pipeline card. Also, pipelines are considered transportation and vital to our nation, so now they fall under TSA. So this means you would also need a TWIC card.

surfer-joe

Yes, the attachment is a pipe vac. I used to rent them out of Tulsa for work in Wyoming and California. Expensive, but what a time saver. The vacuum runs off a hydraulic motor that is powered by the excavator hydraulics.

Most of the iron is sitting on cribs so they don't freeze into the mud. Good idea. Takes forever to thaw or chip frosted mud off a track and roller frame. Northart and Turbo would know all about that.

Are those Cat side booms equipped with Midwest booms, or is it a Cat model?

Interesting to see a dozer blade on a side boom. Very rare that.

Turbo21835

You got it Joe, this is the freeze thaw time of year. During they day you get mud, and night it freezes. Good recipe for freezing a machine in place. Notice any machine not on rock looks to be on matts. As for the pipelayer dozers. Not sure on who makes em, but they seem to be getting fairly popular on nat gas projects. Seen quite a few Deere 700s for sale with that set up. Never saw the cat version tho. Wonder how it is for blading around? Doesnt look like it would be.

D155

Occupation
Rental Agent
Wolf, last time I was in HOTlanta, it was about 30 degrees and snowing. Felt like I never left home. I grew up about 20 minutes from where those pics were taken, and freezing is a definite issue in Northeastern PA.

Last edited:

9420pullpan

From what I understand after they drill the well they force water down the hole under extreme pressures to break off any fragments left from the drilling process.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
As for the pipelayer dozers. Not sure on who makes em, but they seem to be getting fairly popular on nat gas projects. Seen quite a few Deere 700s for sale with that set up. Never saw the cat version tho. Wonder how it is for blading around? Doesnt look like it would be.

I never ran a sideboom with a dozer blade, but I think in steep terrain the blade would be great for keeping yourself from sliding down a slope.

joedirt

You can find on this website http://pamarcellus.com/ a great video that explains the whole process. It's right on the front page.

Thanks so much for the help gentlemen. This video explains it all so clearly. We have been working for gas companies for the past ten years or so and I was never very clear on how they extracted the gas. Thanks again.:notworthy

LonestarCobra

After the well is drilled, and the production casing is cemented, they will pump water and sand down the casing to hydraulically fracture the formation, so the gas will come out of the ground eaiser. I hope the economy and oil and gas prices get better soon, because it has darn near shut us down here in the Barnett Shale in North Texas. If it does not, that play in PA may play out before it ever gets rolling good. I have a few freinds that are consulting up un PA, and I may be up there soon if the stars all line up right.:slomo