• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pin Drivers

johntims

Occupation
Service manager
I am looking to build/purchase some pin drivers for my shop. Any one have any suggestions? I have used a few different styles but none that worked really great. I would like to come up with something that could be used by one person for field use. Most of the ones I have used are just a large drift welded to a steel handle but they vibrate like crazy.

CDNDIESELMONKEY

Cut up old hydraulic cylinder rods for the punch end. Use heavy pipe for the handle. Give the guy holding the handle gloves!

Deeretracks

Occupation
Shop Foreman
My favorite for big pins is a piece of 2.5" hot rolled round bar about 40" long. You don't need a hammer and works great for bucket or stick pins. Other than that I have a selection of what you described. Smaller round bar with handles welded to them. That's the tool that weeds out the sissy shop helpers.

partsandservice

For tough horizontal pins I have a large I-beam with one inch plate welded on one end and an eyelet to attach it to the crane. I get the crane up high so I have swing and use it as a battery ram. I weld an extension to to the pin being driven. Works well . It still takes effort but not as much as a sledge hammer.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
A must have in my book for a single mechanic in the field is a Slide Sledge. I'm a meager 140 lb fella, I don't have arms like Popeye, I wouldn't be without one. A man my size don't do so good by myself with a sledge and a drift. I have knocked out the bucket pins on a 400 size excavators several times by myself with a Slide Sledge. Also use it to change those stupid side pin teeth on Cat buckets. They're a bit expensive, but it's a must have on my truck. >

http://www.slidesledge.com/

lantraxco

+1 for the slide sledge.

BTW, if you do use hydraulic cylinder rods to make pins of, please make sure that the rod is not induction hardened! First off you won't be able to touch it with any kind of saw except abrasive so that's your first clue, the second would be if you do get it cut or machined off, you will see a dark ring at the outside diameter of the steel showing the hardened area. This type of hardened steel rod can shatter and send hard steel shrapnel into your body when impacted!

johntims

Occupation
Service manager
Thanks guys all great ideas, Those of you using the slide sledge what size are you using? I noticed that they make a few different ones. I would be tempted to get the 21lb one... Go big or go home right????

johntims

Occupation
Service manager
Cut up old hydraulic cylinder rods for the punch end. Use heavy pipe for the handle. Give the guy holding the handle gloves!

I agree that this is the easiest option but my problem is that most of my field guys are on their own so I need something that can use without a second set of hands.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I liked two or three inch drill steel. Two of the companies I worked for years ago used air track drills for rock drilling and I saved the worn out steels for drift pins. I would torch them off to length and then grind the ends smooth. I've never seen one mushroom or slab off. They are so hard that they will dent the face of a hammer.

JD955SC

I agree that this is the easiest option but my problem is that most of my field guys are on their own so I need something that can use without a second set of hands.

Slide sledge. Accept no substitute. While work provides ours, I am going to purchase one for home use when I find one for a good deal.

A must have in my book for a single mechanic in the field is a Slide Sledge. I'm a meager 140 lb fella, I don't have arms like Popeye, I wouldn't be without one. A man my size don't do so good by myself with a sledge and a drift. I have knocked out the bucket pins on a 400 size excavators several times by myself with a Slide Sledge. Also use it to change those stupid side pin teeth on Cat buckets. They're a bit expensive, but it's a must have on my truck. >

http://www.slidesledge.com/

You will not find a conventional sledge in our shop. Slide sledge use is mandated by the safety folks as we have had several people seriously injured by flying fragments from striking hardened metal with metal objects.

And personally, for me while the slide sledge will still wear your ass out it's a lot easier on the body to use a slide sledge vs. conventional sledge, especially when you start talking about overhead or sideways use. I can't swing worth a damn sideways. We do have a huge deadblow rubber sledge hammer, but I hate it.

We've got various style tips...offset pin ones for punching out the bucket teeth pins, flat face tips for pounding on stuff, and longer but large pin driving tips for bucket pins.

Last edited:

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
I have the 14lb with the extra 5lb weight. I love it but, sometimes you still need to break out the 16lb sledge to get it moving.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
as far as handles for your driving pins find 1" or so cable cut to handle length and have ends swedged on weld swedges to pins, this eliminates most of the vibration while still having very good control over driving pin. I use the biggest slide sledge with the heavy ball on the end in wont even come close to moving what i can with a 16 pound sledge with someone holding a driving pin..........TIO

FSERVICE

as far as handles for your driving pins find 1" or so cable cut to handle length and have ends swedged on weld swedges to pins, this eliminates most of the vibration while still having very good control over driving pin. I use the biggest slide sledge with the heavy ball on the end in wont even come close to moving what i can with a 16 pound sledge with someone holding a driving pin..........TIO

you can find someone to hold the pin while you swing a hammer at it?? I cant even find a good helper that will show up 2 days in a row here, let alone hold a pin while I hit it... help is real hard to come by here..thats the only reason I have the big slide sledge with all the attachments;) my favorite tool for BIG pins is a bobcat tho!!!

D11RCD

COPPA Member
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Hello again all,
I'm also a fairly small sort of bloke and I struggle to bash anything with a sledge hammer normally... Forget about sideways. This slide sledge looks like a good plan ;) at least until I get a little stronger.

However, I worry a little about cutting up old rams.... As Lantraxco pointed out. I don't know that I would try that myself. Be careful everyone!

JD955SC

I would be tempted to get the 21lb one... Go big or go home right????

The big ones will wear you out quick. When I have to use the big one I try to sling it from the crane if possible so I can devote more force to slamming it good.

For the big one, if I've got somebody to help me hold and aim it, I can throw all of my strength and body weight into slamming it and really give it some force.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
My helper is with me every day. Takes me to and from work most of the time. Keeps me warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Got a big crane on the back to help hold my rigged up drift's. If that doesn't work i'll cut it out and weld it back in.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
That fellow forum member that you had a visit with a while back, you know... the one from way up north... 'worded' this a bit different. Lol, but I got the point... :D
I'm a meager 140 lb fella...

Oh my, they are...

They're a bit expensive...

I find no fault, though... you always did have 'a thing' about hammers...

https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?14287-Could-this-be-true ... :lmao

Happy Thanksgiving Day, Willie, my old friend... :thumbsup

OCR

Firemanmike69

I have a few cut up tie bolts from hydraulic hammers, cut the hex head and threads off and they work great for pounding pins out

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That fellow forum member that you had a visit with a while back, you know... the one from way up north... 'worded' this a bit different. Lol, but I got the point... :D

Yeah, the Minnesota Bush Bunny stopped by one day, took me by surprise. I won't say why he took a southern road trip, he's got a reputation to keep ya know. ;)

I hope you have an excellent Thanksgiving Holiday! :drinkup