• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pin & Bushing turn

Bandit44

I have a 550H Deere dozer that has around 1900 hrs. How many hours should I get on the pins and bushings after having them turned? I have been told they won't last long after the turn because they are hard to get sealed back correctly to keep the oil in them.

TimHay

Occupation
Self employed
I go with a rule of thumb you should get half as many hours one them as before you turned them. you got 1900, so you should get about 900-1000hrs, in the PERFECT conditions. If you are in sand or fine mud not even close. They can go dry at any time I think the biggest problem is there is not as much meat for the sagments to run on now so they wear alot faster. Lots of guys including myself won't turn any more it is not worth it

SterlingR

Formerly DRESSTA1
When I worked in the Virginia Beach area we would do a turn between 700-1200 hours due to the sand. At which time we would change sprocket segments and carrier rollers. Once the turn wore out we would have to change everything botom rollers, idlers, sprocket segments and carrier rollers.

KTBAUGH

Site Sponsor
Hello,

we don't turn the pins & bushings in the smaller dozers either because of the price of getting them turned vs. Changing them. In my opinion you are better off just running them until they are worn out and then replace em.

Thanks,
kent

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
From my experience if you got to 1,900 hours and haven't already turned them it is too late. Look close and the bushings and you will probably find several that have already worn through.

Has someone measured the undercarriage and given you quotes yet? The dealer should do that for free.

Good Luck!

grandpa

Ever size machine and working conditions are different. There is no hard and fast rule on undercarriages. The best method is to measure, measure, measure. Some places the bushings dont wear out before the links and someplaces its the other way around. Make your own decision on your own machine. You will figure out which is best for YOU!

QuickTrax

450/550 H's and J's are one of the most common machines in our shop. 1900 hours usually means you have wore though the bushings. By turning the pins and bushings on your machine, you would end up saving quite of bit of money. If you have broken bushings, I would run your tracks until you can't go any longer. At that point, you will either need new pins and bushings or new chains. You need to price check, get a couple quotes. Compare new chains vs. new pins and bushings. Check your rail height and make sure your link height is worth installing pins and bushings. Your local John Deere dealer or track shop can measure your link height. We probably average around 1000 hours after the turn depending on what material you are running in.

For all of you who don't think installing pins and bushings into smaller chains is worth it....
We installed dry p&b into D20 chains and saved our customer around $300 dollars. He picked his tracks up today and was tickled pink!

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
For all of you who don't think installing pins and bushings into smaller chains is worth it....
We installed dry p&b into D20 chains and saved our customer around $300 dollars. He picked his tracks up today and was tickled pink!

What was the total bill?

John C.

Occupation
What do D20 chains fit? Is that a model of machine or a manufacturer's number on the chains?

I haven't seen a Deere in years get more the 2,100 hours on chains, turned or not.

QuickTrax

John C., Komatsu D20P Dozer, same as the D21 Dozer or PC60 excavator. 2100 hours before the turn must be a lot of idleing time. We had a set of case chains come in yesterday off of a 850k with the extended life chains on it. These chains have the Rolling Bushing and all of the bushings are shot. They have only 1067 hrs on them. You can't do a turn on these, you can only replace the chains.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
John C., Komatsu D20P Dozer, same as the D21 Dozer or PC60 excavator. 2100 hours before the turn must be a lot of idleing time. We had a set of case chains come in yesterday off of a 850k with the extended life chains on it. These chains have the Rolling Bushing and all of the bushings are shot. They have only 1067 hrs on them. You can't do a turn on these, you can only replace the chains.

Can you not even replace pins and bushes on these?

Bandit44

Thanks for the information on the undercarriage, I was confused by all the information from the guys that come out and check if for you. Most don't even measure anything they just bend over and take a little look and say you need to have them turned. But they were telling me that 900 hours ago. One told me on the sealed tracks that you would only get around 200 hrs. after having them turned because they usually don't seal up good enough to keep the oil in them. I think I will just run them until they have to be replaced, I can't see any bushing that are worn through yet so maybe I can run for a while longer.

QuickTrax

CPS, Noone has an aftermarket listing on pins and bushings to fit the extended life case chains w/ the rolling bushings. I tried to fit different pins and bushings into them but I have had no luck.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
That's a bummer!
can they be replaced with an other chain! or are they case only!

QuickTrax

Thanks for the information on the undercarriage, I was confused by all the information from the guys that come out and check if for you. Most don't even measure anything they just bend over and take a little look and say you need to have them turned. But they were telling me that 900 hours ago. One told me on the sealed tracks that you would only get around 200 hrs. after having them turned because they usually don't seal up good enough to keep the oil in them. I think I will just run them until they have to be replaced, I can't see any bushing that are worn through yet so maybe I can run for a while longer.

Some salesman judge by looking or feeling the bushings but this doesn't tell them the internal wear on the bushing and pin. If you turn the p&b's in time, you should get a lot more than 200 hours.

QuickTrax

That's a bummer!
can they be replaced with an other chain! or are they case only!

We've been putting the standard aftermarket chains and sprockets back onto them. The standard undercarriage last longer than the Case Extended life does. The pads have the same bolt pattern as the standard chain.

John C.

Occupation
QuickTrax,

There is a bunch of difference between Case rolling bushing chain, D20 Komatsu chain the the subject machine of this thread, Deere 550H.

What is your experience with the Deere crawlers?

The Komatsu D20 and Case machines are more along the line of toys. You run them until something breaks and then fix it as cheap as possible. I've yet to see one of these machines live long enough to wear out two sets of undercarriage.

What are your thoughts?

JASON M

Occupation
Const company owner
Pin and bushing turns were the hot sales ticket years ago......... but my experience has been that it isn't worth the mess. Too much downtime, and too much labor, and you still aren't working with anything! Buy a good U/C, run it till it falls off!