• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pictures to share #2

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
Got some pics of a new W2200 with a used 8 ft drum, and it's a heavy mill.

Pretty nice machine, gonna take a little getting used to. Upper conveyor seems weak. Stalled it 4 times on Friday.

Attachments

• Picture011.jpg
    Picture011.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 700
  • Picture015.jpg
    Picture015.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 732
  • Picture003.jpg
    Picture003.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 701
  • Picture007.jpg
    Picture007.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 726
  • Picture006.jpg
    Picture006.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Dam...Looks cold!!!

Hey, Make sure before you run, that the conveyor is turning for a good little while warming up and make sure you do a good cleanout on washdown ESPECIALLY the lower tall pulley. In that kinda weather if material gets caught in there and freezes over night it will be a problem in the morning. Also that knob on the control panel for adjusting the conveyor speed might be whacked out. Turn them all the way up on BOTH control panels. Wirtgen might make a nice machine and all but its peak operating features depend on whose running it and how well they know them.

In Alabama years ago we left the washdown hose with water in it, that night we had a freeze and the brass swivel fitting snapped in half.

milling_drum

Occupation
Hahahaha Just noticed that hotel, looks like where I stayed when I was up there in Billings, Montana.

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
Dam...Looks cold!!!

Hey, Make sure before you run, that the conveyor is turning for a good little while warming up and make sure you do a good cleanout on washdown ESPECIALLY the lower tall pulley. In that kinda weather if material gets caught in there and freezes over night it will be a problem in the morning. Also that knob on the control panel for adjusting the conveyor speed might be whacked out. Turn them all the way up on BOTH control panels. Wirtgen might make a nice machine and all but its peak operating features depend on whose running it and how well they know them.

In Alabama years ago we left the washdown hose with water in it, that night we had a freeze and the brass swivel fitting snapped in half.

Now, I hate to go against what you say Mr Drum, cuz we all know you are the man when it comes to 2200's :) and the fact I haven't been on one in close to 4 years. But if I remember correctly there was only one water pump and conveyor speed control, and they were both on the right side only...right? Or have I been sniffing too many exhaust fumes again?

milling_drum

Occupation
You are right. The controls on the right have that goofy compu serve window too. The 2200 I was just on had a few items on it that were different then others I've seen and run. Texops 2200 didnt have any additional controls for water or conveyor atall.

I never was much of an operator anyways, last week with those Roadtecs, I couldnt even find the master switch or engine start:)

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
You are right. The controls on the right have that goofy compu serve window too. The 2200 I was just on had a few items on it that were different then others I've seen and run. Texops 2200 didnt have any additional controls for water or conveyor atall.

I never was much of an operator anyways, last week with those Roadtecs, I couldnt even find the master switch or engine start:)

Haha, don't feel too bad, I wouldn't even know how to climb up on a roadjunk I mean roadtec :-/ don't have much desire too either

milling_drum

Occupation
Its all good these days....I won't even apply to companies that only run Wirtgen:O

That "brand new" Roadtec APP has, had less than a year on it (Oct. last year) and looked slap, WORN out. I couldn't believe it.

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
Couple scenery pics.

Attachments

• Picture017.jpg
    Picture017.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 589
  • Picture020.jpg
    Picture020.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 590

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
First Three are mixing gravel with 3.5 inches asphalt. Got to where I was loading a train 35-45 ton in two minutes and 30 seconds. They couldn't bring gravel fast enough.
Last 2 are some hard teeth burning cutting. Could only do 30 foot a minute at 5 inches deep, all the mill could handle.

Attachments

• Picture021.jpg
    Picture021.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 523
  • Picture022.jpg
    Picture022.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 517
  • Picture025.jpg
    Picture025.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 525
  • Picture027.jpg
    Picture027.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 526
  • Picture028.jpg
    Picture028.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 557

milling_drum

Occupation
Dude .... check those water tips out real good, its still so cold up there who knows what gets in them at nite when it freezes, I got in the habit of completely removing those silly filters in the tip heads for good. No way 5 inches will slow that thing down unless something is wrong. I had WSP's W2200 at 55 fpm at the Army Proving grounds in Yuma Az cutting 11 inches deep like it was nothing, and that road saw plenty of heavy traffic AKA tanks and all that junk...I know theres a chance I'm wrong being its Montana, We are at I-90 just east of Missoula and I'm told the asphalt will not be a joke out here...

Anomalie

Hey milling_drum,
You don't look like you have time to work with all of this writting. I would like to ask your opinion if this is the right place to talk about this: I have a metal detection sensor that will scan a 8 to 12 foot wide pass. At up to 30 miles per hour make a google earth map of the scanned area with man-holes, water and utility valves marked with GPS coordinates and when the curser is put on them it gives the coordinates, so that you can find them later with just a hand held reciever and take care of them before the milling operation starts. Then when you zoom in on them it goes into streets view and you can actually see the manhole or if you can't then it is buried. This will find all metals both ferrous and non-ferrous. I can also tell the depth to 1/4 " of any targets found and then if they are below the depth we are cutting we can go over them or we can do what ever we want with them since we know how many we have and where they are before we get to them. This will also come in handy for all muncipalities as they are trying to map all manholes and valves with GPS coordinates and this is a much easier and faster way of doing it therefore making it much cheaper than GPR. This can be done under traffic so it can be done well before a job starts taking some of the suprises out.
I have been looking for a way to do this for more than 30 years and now the technology has caught up to us or we have caught up to the technology I am not sure which has happened but I am glad.
Anomalie (Cary) (John M. is this you)

If there is any interest, Please let me know.

milling_drum

Occupation
HEY!!! How the hell are ya buddy? Ya I'm John M. for sure.

When you told me about your GPS capacity I was shocked, that is a great option to have for anyone that does alot of city/municipality cutting. I can't even imagine what it would be like to actually know when iron is buried....specially old railway tracks....hitting those at an angle really makes a mess...

I met a friend of yours out here in Portland, he rebuilds drives and gearboxes. Tony probably told you. I'm running serial number 11 PR1050...its getting me lots of hours;)

Are you busy over there yet? thinking of a change? call me!

Anomalie

Hey there milling_drum,
No we are not doing much yet as we just got 8" of snow and the ground is still covered yet. The Frost laws are still on county rds. so it will be a week or so till everything breaks loose.
That is why I am glad to have found the sensor deal. It does work better than anything I could have even thought of.
If I can show it to a few of the larger contractors and with the homeland security option I should have a good job out of this. I saw here you listed the states you have worked in and I must say you have me beat I have only been in 17. I had a family till last year when my wife passed away. But I am looking to keep going now as I have no reason to stop now. As long as I can I will.
See if any of your contacts would be interested in seeing what I have,
More later,
Anomalie

milling_drum

Occupation
Back east in the densely populated areas there is lots of buried iron. I'm sure a number of contractors would be interested in a tool like that....getting to them at this time of the year would be difficult. Everyone is about to get really busy.

Have you got a plan for being able to demo the locator?

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
New transport setup ,and I'm too heavy on the trailer, not enough weight on the truck. Might not get Montana 5 mph conditions.

Attachments

• Picture031.jpg
    Picture031.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 676

milling_drum

Occupation
I don't understand why you have to have the extra axles? How were they getting by with Reitan's 8ft head W2200 which must be a little bit heavier? Isn't that a 7"2' drum?

The asphalt over here isn't too bad at 2 inches deep. As usual some places are really hard and others its blow and go. The first 2 days were rough because this PR1050 hadn't been run in over a year so it has...issues getting back to business. It really isn't that terrible a machine for being a '92 model. No front mouldboard kinda sucks but...Now we are getting murdered by rain and already too far ahead of the paving crew...

A Kodiak Pacific PR800-7 blew by us today on a trailer and he didn't have that extra axle setup atall.

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
Nope it's the 8ft head that Reitan had on his mill, he's got a 12ft head now. Ready to haul weight is like 98,000 lbs. On eight axles couldn't get Montana's 5mph conditions, so we wouldn't need pilot cars. Dan wanted his heavy haul truck back, so they bought a jeep so I could use my truck. This in turn led me to useing the trailer they just bought, since it has the flip neck, but it's also 9ft wide, so it's heavy. Sitting at about 160,000 lbs loaded.

milling_drum

Occupation
Was that asphalt hard? Looks like a city street. How fast was the machine able to travel in the cut? Were both the engines putting out HP at the same time?