• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pictures to share #2

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
Was that asphalt hard? Looks like a city street. How fast was the machine able to travel in the cut? Were both the engines putting out HP at the same time?

Guaranteed both engines were running with that deep of a cut John. You can mill with the single engine, but not more than a couple inches and not a high production rate either.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Aight I wasn't sure how that setup worked, seems kinda confusing.

They told me Zak quit over here and is back in CO. Is he with you guys? Out of 8 people that applied this year with experience, I'm the only one left so it looks. Getting a PDA this week so there will be some pictures too come:O

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
Yeah Kodiak apparently made alot of promises when they hired him and didn't keep a single one. He is back with rocky mtn right now until we get enough work to buy another mill, then he will run that crew.

milling_drum

Occupation
That mill just don't look big enough to have two engines. Maybe I've lost touch with reality anyways when it comes to newer mills, seems I haven't run one in awhile. hahaha

That sucks about Zak, they sure haven't given me the run around atall, but then we never made any promises to each other either before I came here. They aren't the best but they aren't the worst either.

jenstarltd

Hay John we were doing 13 inches about 30 ft/min 330mm 10 meters/min and changed a set of bits in a 1/4 mile when the bits got flat we hardly moved good old Canadian Rock and both engines boost together sounds like a turbine engine we love it.

UltraClassic

Take a look at the accident we had a couple years ago on the Baltimore beltway. This guy never even hit his brakes. He's lucky he hit it square, if he was off to one side it probably would have killed him.

Attachments

• 695 milling accident 004-400.jpg
    695 milling accident 004-400.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 522
  • 695 milling accident 001-400.jpg
    695 milling accident 001-400.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 528
  • 695 milling accident 029-400.jpg
    695 milling accident 029-400.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 525
  • 695 milling accident 027-400.jpg
    695 milling accident 027-400.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 517

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
Wow, I bet the groundman was crapping his pants knowing he could have been behind the mill. Were you there when it happened? Did it knock the operator down?

milling_drum

Occupation
Hay John we were doing 13 inches about 30 ft/min 330mm 10 meters/min and changed a set of bits in a 1/4 mile when the bits got flat we hardly moved good old Canadian Rock and both engines boost together sounds like a turbine engine we love it.

What kind of teeth are you using? Flat spotting usually happens because the drum wasn't warmed up properly in the morning. Hey, I saw a Kennametal holder that fits type 3 and type 4 Wirtgen drums. They are trying them out here.

UltraClassic

Wow, I bet the groundman was crapping his pants knowing he could have been behind the mill. Were you there when it happened? Did it knock the operator down?

I was there. Thats me in the yellow hard hat. Luckily he was backing up to make another pass. So no one was near the machine when it happened. The operator did get thrown forward and hurt his back a lil bit.

jenstarltd

I think we used w6's now we use w7's and I'm not sure of that term flat spotting can you explain further . PS let me know about the Kennametal holders

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
I think we used w6's now we use w7's and I'm not sure of that term flat spotting can you explain further . PS let me know about the Kennametal holders

Flat spotting is when the tooth stops rotating and half the tip wears at an angle, leaving a small ridge. I just ran a set of w7's a few days ago, only put 7,000 sy's on them and a quarter of them flat spotted...not cool. So I am going to try a set of the kennametal rz-04's, and then a set of the rx-04 eco's. I'm anxious to see how the eco's do.

UltraClassic

Flat spotting is when the tooth stops rotating and half the tip wears at an angle, leaving a small ridge. I just ran a set of w7's a few days ago, only put 7,000 sy's on them and a quarter of them flat spotted...not cool. So I am going to try a set of the kennametal rz-04's, and then a set of the rx-04 eco's. I'm anxious to see how the eco's do.

I noticed with some of the extremely long crabide tipped teeth, like sandvik, W7's, W8's and some of the other kennametal teeth, that they flat spot before you get the full wear on them.

I also noticed that having a puller groove seems to make them flat spot because material builds up in one side of the groove and causes them to stop rotating. We have stopped using teeth with puller grooves altogether. We get better wear and having the groove in them actually costs more.

I currently have a set of Kennametal RZ07's or 302's, I guess they call em now, that have over 80,000 Sy's @ 2" on them and still going strong. I have had great luck with kennametals RZ06's and RZ07's. I'm interested to know how the eco teeth do, please let us know.

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
I noticed with some of the extremely long crabide tipped teeth, like sandvik, W7's, W8's and some of the other kennametal teeth, that they flat spot before you get the full wear on them.

I also noticed that having a puller groove seems to make them flat spot because material builds up in one side of the groove and causes them to stop rotating. We have stopped using teeth with puller grooves altogether. We get better wear and having the groove in them actually costs more.

I currently have a set of Kennametal RZ07's or 302's, I guess they call em now, that have over 80,000 Sy's @ 2" on them and still going strong. I have had great luck with kennametals RZ06's and RZ07's. I'm interested to know how the eco teeth do, please let us know.

Will do on the eco's. I quit ordering the teeth with the puller groove as well, I never used the groove and saw no sense in paying more for something I wasn't using. 80,000 sy's on a set??? That's unreal, I would love to have that asphalt over here, I'll be lucky to get 20,000.

hardtooth

I believe 8020 was the better 800 APP had. But I heard it was highly abused after I left. I blew the engine in 8017 in Denver. That was quite a few agors ago.
New here.

Toegrinder

Occupation
Milling Foreman
I believe 8020 was the better 800 APP had. But I heard it was highly abused after I left. I blew the engine in 8017 in Denver. That was quite a few agors ago.
New here.

Hey...who are you?? I took over 8020 from 2001 until the end of 2004 and I took VERY good care of that mill. The guy that took over it when I left for a year laid it over on its side in downtown phoenix...from that day on everything was tweaked and it was never the same since then. I blew the engine on 8017 too in tucson in '04. 8015...what a pile...