• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pictures from shop and field

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I typically heat not only the piston ring seal but the piston as well in hot water. The reason being that when you take the seal out of the hot water and attempt to install it by stretching over a cold piston the the seal looses the heat to make it pliable rather quickly. By heating the piston as well, this keeps the piston seal warm and workable.

Once installed, I compress the piston ring seal with a typical ring compressor and chunk it in the freezer for a few to cool things down for installation in the cylinder.

A couple good ideas!:idea

HATCHEQUIP

11-21-13 039.jpg
loaded her up and pulled the wheels and tires did this yesterday when it was cool and dry, glad it wasnt today 37 f and pouring down rain that they say will turn into snow tonight. I think willie and gramps been been whispering sweet nothings in each others ears again:IMO

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Is this something you took in on trade? Or do you buy and resell auction equipment? Did it get exported or stay in the states? I don't need all your secrets just curious....tio

HATCHEQUIP

wwww 013.JPGwwww 014.JPG
before
wwww 058.jpgXAGB.png
after
These 2 were in good shape when they were brought in, they weren't ours and we went thru them repairing any problems that were found, then ran them thru the body shop. customer had seen others that we had went thru and wanted us to go thru these. These stayed in the states. Up until about 6 years ago we kept 2 or 3 euc hitachis instock we would bring them in and rebuild from the frame up with all components rebuilt and modify the beds as wanted or install water tanks. After the economy went down we sold the last 3, a r40 and 2 r60s. We tried to stay with 35s 40s 50s and 60s here is some that weve done
get-attachment.jpg
We have bought very little from auctions but do sometimes but even then they all go thru the shop. Most of the equipment stays in north America but we have shipped all over the world. Plus we have a great group of customers that we do major and minor repairs and rebuilds for.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I have to agree, that old Ford caught my eye. But JMHO, give that old Ford some love and give it a paint job. ;)

mitch504

That would still be a dadgum nice service truck by my standards, I know when you compare it to the Pete.....

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Heck yeah, that's a nice old Ford F-series service truck, a lot of space on that rig. :drinkup

HATCHEQUIP

auto crane 6,000lbs extenda boom its pretty much old school now as they are all electric, but I grew up around and using them and they still do the job plus I know how to work on them and keep them going:D

HATCHEQUIP

12-10-13 001.jpg
700 lorain twin disk master clutch rebuilt with new bearing, disks and linkage kit
12-10-13 006.jpg12-10-13.jpg
700 lorain travel and swing gear boxes rebuilt found the vertical swing shaft and pinion splines ready to strip and replaced both while we were doing the bearings and seals in both boxes
12-10-13 007.jpg
700 lorain pump drive rebuilt with new bearings and seals

HATCHEQUIP

wright bros.jpg
Had to go down to Birmingham for a trans that wouldnt move, it had been setting in the same spot for 3 years as a yard crane and wouldnt you know the problem was both shifter cables were stuck solid, ordered new cables and another trip later had the old gal back going

HATCHEQUIP

11-21-13 033.jpg 2900.jpg
Got the telescope cylinder back together now loading the sections of boom back in to each other and hooking all the chains back up. When we got the rod out the piston packing didnt look bad so we preasure checked the tube inside the chrome rod and found that it leaked air and this cylinder didnt have a removable tube so had to have both ends turned off so the tube could be repaired then rewelded back together