• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pictures from shop and field

colson04

With all of the AI and set up shots we do(hormones), we probably have a pair of twins per month on the dairy.

The only set of triplets I saw on the farm were stillborn. We had to have the vet come out and cut one in half because they were wedged/twisted together in utero. That was the last ditch effort to save the cow after me, my dad and my grandpa had spent a couple hours trying to untangle them and get them out. It was one of grossest things I've ever participated in.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Hatch, how many guys you got working for you?

Truck Shop

With all of the AI and set up shots we do(hormones), we probably have a pair of twins per month on the dairy.

The only set of triplets I saw on the farm were stillborn. We had to have the vet come out and cut one in half because they were wedged/twisted together in utero. That was the last ditch effort to save the cow after me, my dad and my grandpa had spent a couple hours trying to untangle them and get them out. It was one of grossest things I've ever participated in.

At the time I was the one with the smaller arms-so I seemed to get the job of turning one around.
Stood by and watched the vet cut one up, tough to see. Life on the dairy is a different perspective isn't
it Colson.

HATCHEQUIP

G's were great graders but when the H's came out with the newer style trans. and a parking brake you can work on without pulling the trans. they were even better . I want talk about the !@$%%$^&&(*%%^#^#%^ M,s here in mixed company.
upload_2022-2-9_16-9-37.jpegupload_2022-2-9_16-10-2.jpeg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Cat 140h trans going back up
Sorry I missed this at the time. Not sure if it applies to your machine but I'm pretty sure it might.
Did you do the spring/spacer update on the control valve station for #7 clutch that's supposed to prevent premature clutch failure.?
A Serial Number gets you the info whether the update applies or not but I think it's common to all 140H.

How did you go setting initial pressures on all eight transmission clutches.?
From what I've see/heard they are very temperature dependent and the minimum oil temp mentioned in the service maniual (51 DegC/124 DegF) isn't anywhere near being high enoughin practice. If the tranny isn't hot enough the IP's can be all over the place. I think something closer to 75-80 DegC (167-176F) is what's needed to get stable IP's.

HATCHEQUIP

Nige I really appreciate this the trans has got over 17000 hours and still looked good inside with clutches still in speck but it still got a full rebuild as we would like the customer to get many more thousands of hours out of it . When I saw your post we had just bolted the valve body back on and then got side tracked on some service calls . Friday got a chance to check into the update and then checked the valve and found it had not been updated . Ordered the parts for the update and will install . Thanks again .
On the oil temp i agree set the pressures at the temp the machine will be working at were lucky there as we have alot of areas to work and a few miles of road on the farm and the customers know and like the fact that we can run and test and do any tuning here so when they get them any problems will have already been seen to .

Nige

If you are going to do the control valve update on clutch station #7 then you will have to set initial clutch pressures on all 8 clutches.
Attached the updated initial pressure setting procedure for a control valve with an updated #7 clutch. IIRC the #7 IP increases from 46 ± 2 psi on an unmodified valve to 49 ± 2 psi on the modified version.
Do you have the required 139-7050 Cover Plate for the control valve to do that.? This is what it looks like.

upload_2022-2-14_17-29-52.png

Attachments

• RENR4104.pdf
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Nige

10/4 on the plate
Excellent. On the 143H control valve I struggled with recently even the local dealer service dept didn't have a plate - at least not according to them they didn't. All we got was a blank look when we asked about it, as much as what the f**k are you talking about.?
Strangely enough there was a plate available in the same dealer Parts Dept so the customer ended up buying that one. Go figure.

A bit more back story on that grader.
Two #7 clutch failures in short order. First one probably due to age (14k+ hours on the machine IIRC) , 2nd @ 60 hours after transmission rebuild.
Transmission was rebuilt by an independent mechanic, the control valve was sent to the dealer for refurb with all new springs & orifices, etc.
After installing the transmission the first time a dealer tech did "all the pressure checks" as part of the same Woirk Order for the control valve refurb but amazingly he never bothered to check/set the IPs, he just tested max pressure on all 8 clutches - and then he got that wrong as well. See below.
After 2nd failure the same independent tore down the transmission and found #7 clutch fried.
Digging into the control valve it was obvious it had all been rebuilt. Springs with paint on them, new orifices, etc.
The New style replaces a single spring with two springs (inner & outer) plus a spacer for additional preload. The new outer spring is a different P/N to the former spring.
However an inspection and measurement of the parts in #7 clutch station revealed that the dealer had rebuilt the valve as a mish-mash of Former & New styles. They had used the former P/N of large spring mated with the new P/N of inner spring and had also forgotten to install the spacer. As a result the max Pressure on #7 clutch was 90psi low when measured as per the new pressure specifications. What a clusterf**k.........

Last edited:

HATCHEQUIP

All over i think it was like 25 dollars worth of pieces + time to check all the press. correctly . I remember a D5m company sent to us that wasnt long out of warrenty with trans slipping. After doing some checks pulled it out and found one " I dont remember which " burnt out . Come to find out they had had the dealer out several times over hard shifting "snap your neck" which I had noticed when checking . Dealer had just kept lowering the pressures and thats what got the clutch pack . Got it back together and got out the click box and gauges got her up to temp and started going thru the procedure . When finished you could set a cup of coffee on the hood an change f to r and not spill it .
Bought that same machine last year from the same company and did a major on the engine with trans still going strong .
Sold it yesterday customer supposed to pick up today .

Nige

All over i think it was like 25 dollars worth of pieces + time to check all the press. correctly.
At least going through the IP settings first you know it was right when you sent it out.
I was amazed at the difference the oil temperature made to pressure, especially to the IP values.
We found it well worth the time spent fiddling with the quantity of shims to get the IP setting correct rather than trying to mess with the adjusting screw on the end of each valve section. We just set each screw in the centre of the adjustment range and went up/down with the number of shims to get the IP within the +/-2 or 3psi specification depending on which clutch it was. Then finally if necessary we tweaked the screw a hair to get the pressures bang on.
Not a lot of fun working with a control valve when it's that hot though............