• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pettibone "landcrab"

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i had the honor of running this beast in the mid 90's.
it was detroit powered then. it has since been cummins re-powered.
it is still ugly as sin.:eek:
021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
What does it do? Place materials?

the company that own's this modern marvel, thatcher engineering, is a pile and drilling company. when i ran it i was unloading sheet piling and bringing it closer to the crane. it can pick an unbelievable load and crawl almost anywhere with it.

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
How does it grab the material, are those forks or clamps?

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
How does it grab the material, are those forks or clamps?

they are both. it is hard to describe, but the forks are tucked under in these pics. it is set up kind of like a folding fork on a dry wall delivery truck.

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Qball thanks for the explanation I thought that was how it might work but never have seen one. Thanks for sharing very interest, looks like a real horse.

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
Is that a Super20? Foundation Pile in California has quite a few. Seems when they get old the wheels turn which ever way gravity takes them.

that sounds about right.
it steers like a shopping cart with 3 bad wheels.:tong

Bully

Looks like something they would have. Where were you at? Looks like CAL-SAG below O' Brien lock or Fox River. How are they to work for? I've moved alot of their deck barges and a couple cranes, but never worked for them directly. Their yard is 15 minutes from my house.

td25c

Some jobs call for ugly equipment.It look's like a good tool.Everything has it's place.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
Looks like something they would have. Where were you at? Looks like CAL-SAG below O' Brien lock or Fox River. How are they to work for? I've moved alot of their deck barges and a couple cranes, but never worked for them directly. Their yard is 15 minutes from my house.

i was at the shedd aquarium a long time ago when i ran it.
it is now in north auroura.
i never fit in with the old timers there.
that was about the only tractor that ever scared me:eek::eek:

Kenny R

Is that a Super20? Foundation Pile in California has quite a few. Seems when they get old the wheels turn which ever way gravity takes them.
Does look like a super20... Was over in Foundations yard just the other day Dug Overburden & you're right they got quite a few of them for sure, when they were driving piles on the 5 fwy right past the 91 interchange over here one went speeding down the closed freeway and man that Detroit has some real serious balls cause that thing hauled ass:cool: here's a shot of one of theirs

Attachments

• P1020427.jpg
    P1020427.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 826

Panhandler Bob

Occupation
operator
:eek::eek:1970 Whittaker Metals Greenville,Pa. Ran that ones Daddy.What a handful! Forks for slag pots, bucket for loadin gondola cars.:drinkup

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
looks like it is handy to have around and versatile as well........
thinking maybe something like that could be retrofitted with knuckle boom for loading logs as well.

Backhoe310SG

I remember a customer of ours who used to cut timber talking about having one of those. He said it was a beast. Equipment Echoes, from HCEA had a story about the history of Pettibone.