• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Perkins 4-236 engine woes on a MF50B

chansey

Occupation
Retired Project Engineering Manager
JCB Fuel System Issues

Hi All,

I have a 1989 JCB 1700B with a Perkins 4-236--1280 original hours.

Have experienced similar fuel system issues as noted in previous posts. If the fuel starvation issue is not located fairly quickly, cranking a dry injection pump can Lead to a pump failure. I have had to replace the injection pump. I have completely taken the system apart and here is what I have found;

Rust, scale and algae in the fuel tank

Plugged hose at inlet at the tank

Debris in lift pump screen

Plugged filters

Plugged injection pump screen

This may be the cause of pump failures. Need to disassemble the large nut on the inlet side to the pump. Inside is a filter, spring and bearing--be careful not to loose any parts. May be best to remove the injector tubes and remove the entire assembly and work on it on the bench.

Even after all the above, I am still having issues with the tank scale. I drained the tank and removed the access cover plate. Used steel wool and scrubbed the tank interior. Thourghly rinsed it, reassembled and refilled.

A year later, I still have issues with the tank. I can run 2 hours, 2 days or two weeks without out a blockage--just don't know how long it will be.

I a product available that can be used to seal/coat the tank interior???

Chris_O

I'm a new member so can't start a new thread but can post in this thread which relates to my problem. Our Massey Ferguson 168 tractor has a variety of problems which include loss of power, engine failing to start, engine stopping. It has a Perkins 4-236 injector pump as discussed in this thread. All components on the delivery side - lift pump & filters - are new. There are no blockages or air leaks and fuel streams out the bleeder screws when opened but the injector pump fails to pump. Any suggestions? I think I will need to buy a new injector pump but I thought there might be something that can be done before reaching that point. Thank you.