• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pc150-3 track tension

JohnnyG1212

Hey guys. I have a 1988 komatsu pc150-3. One of my tracks is way to loose and I tried to pump grease into it to tighten it up but it keeps seaping out through the fitting. Is this just a bad O ring/Seal or could I have a frozen adjuster on my hands. Below I will attach 2 pictures of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Thank you for your time

Attachments

• 83FE4E90-DD2D-4279-A8B4-BD8A190B0C2D.jpeg
    83FE4E90-DD2D-4279-A8B4-BD8A190B0C2D.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 07945AED-1446-432A-AC03-A0F5B1AEACE7.jpeg
    07945AED-1446-432A-AC03-A0F5B1AEACE7.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 29

DIYDAVE

From the second pic, looks like you gotta leak coming from that big nut, or under it. I'd get a look at the parts manual, and see what's under the nut...;)

JohnnyG1212

From the second pic, looks like you gotta leak coming from that big nut, or under it. I'd get a look at the parts manual, and see what's under the nut...;)

Thank you for your advice. Yes as I pumped the grease into the zerk it all came out from that big nut. I am hoping all I need to do it replace and O ring but not sure if that’s all that needs to be done

JohnnyG1212

Yes it can. I’m pretty sure I need to replace all of the seals. Just hoping the piston spring and idler wheel arnt stuck

heymccall

That hex headed fitting, under the grease zerk, is a needle-type valve. When the valve is loose, or the needle within is damaged from overtightening, grease will escape where your picture shows grease coming out. There are no seals to replace in there.
Grease the zerk to tension the track, after ensuring that that hex headed valve is tightened.
Loosen the hex up to two full turns to loosen the track.

Last edited:

heymccall

If the grease jack had bad seals, grease would leak out at the other end of the recoil spring.
It ain't a seal leaking.
The only thing that big nut does is hold the recoil spring in compression. Don't even think about taking that nut off.

JohnnyG1212

When I try to grease the zerk to tension the track the grease comes out where I circled in the picture below

Attachments

• FDAB09CE-BD8E-4A62-BC01-9F881555AB74.jpeg
    FDAB09CE-BD8E-4A62-BC01-9F881555AB74.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 24

heymccall

I understand clearly. Again, tighten the hex head (22mm, I think), then add grease. If it is tight, then, since your track is already loose, remove the two little bolts and bracket (sometimes the bolt heads are tack welded), and unthread/ remove the hex headed fitting, and inspect the needle.

That hex headed fitting can hold a ton of more of grease pressure, so, they put a stopper bracket on there to prevent full removal by knowledgeable personnel. Once the track is loosened like in your picture, there will be no pressure behind it.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Purchase and install a new adjuster fitting before you do anything else. The get a ring worn into the cone where they seat inside the cylinder.

Here is a video showing what you need to know for maintenance on your machine. The video shows Dash 5 machines but it will be the same for the Dash 3.