1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

PC120-6 - oil in the bell housing?

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by 02Dmax, Apr 27, 2016.

1. 02Dmax

02Dmax Senior Member

Just had a customer call asking how much oil should be in his bell housing. I kinda laughed and said none but he didn't laugh. He has a kid working for him that said it's supposed to be up to the check plug on the side.

I'm not an excavator expert but I've never worked on one that's SUPPOSED to have oil in there. Is there such a thing or is his rear main leaking like I assumed?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Sure looks like it needs oil:

PC 120-6 Pump.jpg

3. 02Dmax

02Dmax Senior Member

Ya that does look like a bearing in that diagram.

I guess my next question is it fed by engine oil or should there just be gear oil in there?

Honestly I've never seen such a setup.

4. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Dunno... probably have to get ahold of an owners manual or service manual... or break down and call a Kommie dealer if nobody on here knows :confused:

5. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    It is called a damper case and if you look under the pump and the damper case you will see a hex head that is an O ring plug. That is the level plug. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the bell housing. The thing only take a little over a pint to fill it to the level plug. It take 30 wt. engine oil.

Now the problems come up when people fill the bell housing all the way up to the cap on top or the rear main seal on the engine can leak or the front seal on the hydraulic pump. It can create enough heat to burn the paint off the bell housing. It also burns out out the speed sensor which presents other performance problems for the excavator.

It's about a six hour job to pull the pump, replace the rear main and front pump seals and put it all back together.

6. 02Dmax

02Dmax Senior Member

Good to know John C! Thanks for the info.

7. DK88

DK88 Senior Member

Field service tech.
    Perfect explanation john c