• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Payloaders I can afford

I'm looking at a couple different payloaders... and I know little to nothing about them.

1: Terex 7231 $4000 needs brakes, 4 new tires, detriot 4cyl runs good.
Any ideas what a brake system overhaul costs? It doesnt even have a master cylinder, and have to expect other parts are junk from non use. Would need to transport 200 miles.

2. Hough H70 $7500, looks good, no known issues. Good tires. Local machine. New paint.

3. International 3850 $8500, looks ok. Good tires. Local Machine Extra snow bucket included.

4. Trojan 1500 $13000, new paint, decent tires.

5. 1986 Case W14B $12900. fair condition, tires ok.

6. 1990 Volvo L50B (says michigan on the side?) $15500. Fair condition, tires.

7. 1987 Case W11B $15900. Looks really nice, good tires.

As you guys can tell I have no idea what would be the best bet. I just want it for moving snow. Pushing a box 12-14'. And loading snow. In the summer it would see light use on brothers farm, but its main use is just snow.

I'd like something in the $5-8k range just because its paid off, but do you guys think loaders in that price range are reliable? The newer/more expensive ones I would need to take out a small loan for... and we all know loans suck lol. So what do you guys think?

pwrstroke6john

Im not sure about your area, but around michigan I see alot old houghs running around pushing snow. The fact that theres alot of old h100s and still out working I think says alot for there realibility. I would also take a good look at that michigan too.

The more I look for info on these loaders, I am finding it much easier to find information on the L50 Volvo... makes me think it will be much easier to get parts for also. I also just found out it has a 22mph top speed, which is nice for roading between jobsites.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The Hough would be a hard sell for me because it articulates the rear while you ride on the front.That makes them clumsy and a lot of work to run.Loading trucks is where you would really notice it.The Case loaders are the same way.Otherwise they are robust machines.It is a shame that they were designed that way.Ron G

There is a nice Ford A62 with only 2500 hours on it, brand new tires, and a new grapple attachement. Listed for $16,900 near me also. any opinions on these machines?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I'll second what Ron has said about the IH/Hough and Case models, articulated machines with the cab on the front half are very awkward to run. I guess if you have enough time on one you might get used to it, but I could never load trucks efficiently.

All the other machines you've mentioned are respectable units. One thing to consider is local dealers and parts availability. Older machines will likely be more difficult to get parts for.

Last edited:

swampdog

Any loader can have a lot of things wrong with it. Even one major repair that you miss when buying can make an inexpensive loader too expensive. If you don't know your way around loaders, you might want to pay for an hour or two of a mechanic's time before committing to buy.

I don't see any Cat loaders on your list. Older Cat loaders - pre electronic - are tough and easy to find parts for. Something like a 950 in good condition might work well for you.

Swamp I think that is a great idea. I have a friend that is a mechanic at Zeigler that I can have come with me to look something before I buy. I havent seen many Cat's for sale in my price range within driving distance of me and the ones I have seen look way over priced.

boone

+1 on what Swamp said. If you find one you're interested in buying, take a mechanic or at least a good light and your toolbox. Get it up to operating temerature and don't be afraid to open every panel and look it over good. Look for leaks and cracks anywhere.

Im going to look at a Terex 72-31 in the morning. It has 400 hours on a rebuilt motor and trans. It was rebuilt 4 yrs ago and has just been used clearing snow since. I dont like the 12mph road speed, but I do like the price.

Does anyone know the weight of these machines?

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
1990 Volvo L50B is small we got a L90 its old got a new engine but still weak , parts are high , seals and one front brake with cylinder is 900 or better

zlssefi

The terex will be a solid machine for you. Be ready to catch oil leaks if its detriot powered. i bought a 72-31 BA two years ago we rebuilt the motor, put a missing brake caliper on it, fixed the heat and its good to go. for the money i dont think you could get a tougher machine....ours is seemingly bombproof!

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
lease one for the first year and buy one in about january.....i gotta hunch things are gonna get a litle tighter, I have been buying alot of equipment in the south east they musta got hit a little harder than us and i thought we had it bad. lol

give me a call Image and I'll try to help you find one

Pj

I'll call ya when I hit the road in the am, I got a 3.5 hour drive each way...

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
sorry to hear that.

I had one of my brokers called me today on a '00 komatsu WA120 6700hrs but it's gonna be a little higher ....I have got my ear to the groudn for you and good luck in your search.

Rick

swampdog

You're doing what I did last year - looking for a reasonably priced loader. I found a number of loaders from private sellers for under 20,000 and looked at a few of them. But all in that price range needed far too much work.

One fellow with an early 966 tried to convince me that it didn't matter that the loader only turned in one direction and that the brakes didn't work. Another Cat had a lot of rust and heavy blow by. One seller offered a grease soaked Volvo with a loud knock; he claimed it had run that way for many years. They might have been OK for light, occasional work, but I wouldn't count on getting a full day's work out of them. Repairs to put them in good working condition would have been prohibitive.

Several at RB auctions in Alberta proved tempting enough to bid on, even though they needed repairs. Two that interested me included a JD 540 that would only move when well warmed up, and a Cat 936 that needed the center joint rebuilt. In retrospect, I'm glad that someone else wanted them more than I did.

In the end, I paid more to buy a low hours loader from its original owner. No regrets so far.

Last edited:

PJ im open to any great deals, the closer to $10k the better lol. As I told you on the phone I'm not in a hurry, if its spring before I get something thats ok. I would really like to get something within driving distance of Fargo though just so I can look at it physically before I buy it.

This 1990 L50 Volvo does look really nice. Its up in Winnepeg (5.5 hours) but the seller will haul it to me as he is a ND dealer as well as a Canadian dealer. He assured me that the pins are all tight with no slop, and that it runs perfect, and is clean, even having the original sound deadening material in place. Supposedly has one leaky rear brake cylinder, he reccommended capping it off and not worrying about it. I really like the 22mph top speed. He's asking $15500, but I think I can get it delivered to me for less then that. I think I'm gonna go look at it next week.

One thing that hit me today is I have some cash coming in about feb/march, so I might wait until then to purchase anyways, then I can get a better unit and still no loan. So I'll probally look at a quite a few units in the next couple months, and try to deal with cash on the ones that are still around.

Last edited: