• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pacific trucks in the logging industy

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
There are lots of things to consider when you check out the condition of the tires on a logging truck . You can get by with well worn tires from about April to October depending on what kind of hills your climbing up to loading sites . The mileage on the tires depends on the driver and the make of tires . I had a good working relationship with the tire man Dan Reid at HBO . I got between 45,000 - 50,000 Kilometers out of a set of Michellin tires . As Dan was working with a fleet of trucks he didn't do tire rotations . Instead he would put a new set of tires on the drivers on the truck I was driving in October or early November . Once in awhile we would pick up a nail or spike and unless the tire was ruined , it was repaired and put back on the truck it came off . As we were traveling some where's about 60,000 to 70,000 Kilometers a year , when some of my tires were getting worn down in late summer , Dan would match up some decent used tires for the middle or back axle with the less worn tires on my front axle (drivers) . Late fall I would have new tires for the Winter . Guy's I hauled with like Bill Nicol who got out standing mileage from their tire's always had new tire's for the Winter . Some guy's that didn't get decent mileage , didn't always get new tires for the winter . They would get the best of the half worn tires .

HDX

It is sad when the trucks are abused and neglected. What I've noticed is that 98% time when you see logging trucks no matter what condition the trucks are in, they always seem to have almost new tires with low wear. Is it just because they are low speed and/or off road?
This is awful to see her like this She was Chris Taylors truck out at Franklin/Sarita when she was there with us. He always kept her clean and well looked after.. Was a good productive truck and went back and forth every day. Very sad indeed.

Truck Shop

For highway, tires put on in early fall have enough time to wear the square edges of the shoulder down
which makes installing chains easier. Plus it works some of the squirm out of the tall tread. The higher
the torque the faster they wear. And with gravel roads it's the rock drilling.

What is the ply rating on those logger blocks?

Old Doug

It is sad when the trucks are abused and neglected. What I've noticed is that 98% time when you see logging trucks no matter what condition the trucks are in, they always seem to have almost new tires with low wear. Is it just because they are low speed and/or off road?
Its hard to believe but i bet 10 percent of all new tires made never get used they are put on and set and rot down.

Welder Dave

What were the common engines in the big log trucks? I think the 12V-71's were common but what Cummins or other engines were used in them? Nice to see a bunch of them still running. They seem pretty bullet proof if taken care of.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
I put P-16's together from 77-87 at Pacific..Most common engine was the 12V71NA,then Cummins KTA 625's.Did some 3408's.Then the 7 super trucks.3 for mac blo with Cat 3412's.The four CZ super trucks were one (Ian Browns) 16V71NA and 3 12V92TT..There were a few 12V71TT and 16V71TT

Welder Dave

There were definately some big engines put in them. We're they all pretty reliable and long life or some were much better?