• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Old Doug

Old Doug

He should NOT have done "anything".
Now he's a criminal and should be in jail.
You are wright i have had so much trouble with the license office that i just thought about going without what ever i needed and maybe the officer that stops me would understand and help me. But sometime i have thought if my state goverment was on the ball like there license offices were maybe stuff would be better.

skyking1

That's horse manure---Union Pacific will build track to any door, right across front yards, back yards.
Of coarse trucks have to deliver to rail docks. Imagine Amazon going total rail delivery. Rail is good
for commodity shipping at this point.
americans are just a impatient lot----all this boils down to I want it and I want It Right F@cking
Now-----------it's what will get us in the end.:)
It's not just consumers either.
Business has been adopting a lean model for many years now. Any inventory carried across the fiscal year costs a significant amount in taxes.
Because of this and many other reasons, they adopted a Just In Time (JIT) model. My wife is a capital purchaser for a hospital system, and she recalls that was the buzzword of 2000 on.
Big manufacturers carried little inventory and relied on fast response from their suppliers, who also ran the JIT model. Now the parts and pieces are not even made until ordered, and the raw materials and so on. This rapid response model telescoped and amplified down the whole length of the supply chain.
Each step did not have any room in it for flexible shipping practices. Rail is not compatible with JIT. Somebody, somewhere has to carry some inventory.

skyking1

Then why do I see whole trains of Amazon, UPS, and Fedex containers & trucks on the rails every day ?
Amazon has built stocking warehouses all over the country for their cheap products.
I can think of 3 within a 10 mile drive of me, huge tiltups with 500,000 sf or more.
The irony is the one closest to me is near Fredrickson, port of Tacoma. It is a remote extension of the port with plenty of rail, and yet they did not build in Fredrickson proper and have no rail. It is still all truck.
I'm thrilled you see UPS and Fedex on the rails. I'm a huge fan of railroads.
I hope they can move more and more to rails rather than less.

ianjoub

He should NOT have done "anything".
Now he's a criminal and should be in jail.
I am not a person who needs to be told what to do. I get offended every time I run into government rules and regulations. I feel I am being unfairly punished because I may be a dumbass. I believe people should be punished when they hurt others and/or their property, not before because of what might happen.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I am not a person who needs to be told what to do. I get offended every time I run into government rules and regulations. I feel I am being unfairly punished because I may be a dumbass. I believe people should be punished when they hurt others and/or their property, not before because of what might happen.
FAR from the Only One on here that feels that way!!

skyking1

Don't even try to put this incident on government "oppression".
That guy earned his denial of license in some way. We all have ours and we are far from special. It is just not that hard to do.
Then he came back and committed murder with a truck. We never wanted him on the road in the first place.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Ground Shipping under 3 days is Local, not coming in from a Coast unless on a Aircraft, Set up shipment, set to transport, truck runs LA to Alb, swaps on a dock for further run different truck, heads to Ok City, another Dock, sits and await that third truck to STL. From there is shuttled to a Dispersal office and transferred off to a delivery truck. That is REAL time on a Road run, Minimal Five Days, Most likely ten even on AMZN own fleet.