• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

skyking1

Most major highways date back to 50's 60's 70's.
Dad worked for PKW on I-90, I think the stretch between Ellensburg and Cle Elum. I have looked around and can't find any good history about that.
He also worked on I-82 across the ridges to east Selah, that was an epic earth moving job. He purchased a new 1968 Datsun pickup and put 60,000 miles on it doing that job, most of it in the dirt roads coming up out of the canyon over to the job.
They had at least one quad 9 on that job.

HATCHEQUIP

Someone correct me on this if they know something different. RR pays for their all of their own infrastructure "land, bridges, tracks, right of ways, ect" not the taxpayer. But you cant depend on the US's RR's to meet any kind of timeline, hence you have to have the trucks on the road. Alot of coast to coast should be on trains unless a critical timeframe like spoilage ect.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Someone correct me on this if they know something different. RR pays for their all of their own infrastructure "land, bridges, tracks, right of ways, ect" not the taxpayer. But you cant depend on the US's RR's to meet any kind of timeline, hence you have to have the trucks on the road. Alot of coast to coast should be on trains unless a critical timeframe like spoilage ect.
You are correct in your basic observations. It is much more complicated than that though.
The causes of these transportation woes date back to the Staggars Act of 1980 for the RRs and The Motor Carrier Act of 1980 for trucking. Hundreds if not thousands of PhD dissertations have been written about these two fiascos. Whole forests have been logged to create the paper for these dissertations.
I will leave it at that because HEF justifiably frowns on political pronouncements.

cfherrman

Originally us gave land to the railroads to pay for it, at least to connect the coasts with rr.

To ship by rail you have to truck to rail, rail to rail, then truck to location. It's a lot simpler to just hire 1 truck especially in sure your not saving very much by hiring out the rail.

The rail out here is in bad shape and needs a lot of work, they can't go very fast anymore because of soft spots in the rail.

Truck Shop

This mess went in just down the creek from me at Wallula---It went defunct in 2017,
operated 8 years I think. Huge cooler buildings setting idle.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Rail is nearing death currently, an estimate of 60% of the US Rail system is either abandoned or in RTT devolvement leaving fewer roadbeds to fewer major hubs and fewer still ports of dispersal. As to Truck to rail and truck from rail are speaking Apples to Oranges to Interstate freight. That requires Small trucks to major docks, to larger trucks to shuttle dock to dock to dock, then small truck to disperse said LTL freight, has not ever been One Truck Source to Delivery.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Rail is nearing death currently, an estimate of 60% of the US Rail system is either abandoned or in RTT devolvement leaving fewer roadbeds to fewer major hubs and fewer still ports of dispersal. As to Truck to rail and truck from rail are speaking Apples to Oranges to Interstate freight. That requires Small trucks to major docks, to larger trucks to shuttle dock to dock to dock, then small truck to disperse said LTL freight, has not ever been One Truck Source to Delivery.
IIRC 85 trains a day run thru Erie, pa head both to NYC or chicago.
Lot's of containers.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
At one time RRs had Terminals in most every larger city, as in greater than 3000 population, now are lucky if have Six per States. Loads of CONEX and AUTORACK trains, see maybe one general freight of mix manifest boxcar, tanks, flats or spine cars and gondolas. Rest are Autorack, CONEX and Coal. Just few to any Refrigerated cars, not many basic freight consists of all boxcars. Gone too are the set out tracks at smaller cities for freight dispersal and small switch yards for bulk commodity handling as Local Grain elevators, those are all gone and trucking moving five to six trucks to one rail car worth.

Clay haul currently performing, places 180 truck loads in ONE river Barge, in a string of four to six to be sent to a lash up group of 12-24 barges sent down Mississippi to Memphis then be set out to be sent up Ohio or Kentucy rivers or on to Arkansas River as these will be to go of all places, Muskogee OK. DAL Tile.

Truck Shop

That's horse manure---Union Pacific will build track to any door, right across front yards, back yards.
Of coarse trucks have to deliver to rail docks. Imagine Amazon going total rail delivery. Rail is good
for commodity shipping at this point.
americans are just a impatient lot----all this boils down to I want it and I want It Right F@cking
Now-----------it's what will get us in the end.:)

Truck Shop

Someone was a little peeved when they couldn't get their license renewed.

I don't find that shocking, it's all part of what I said above.
americans are just a impatient lot----all this boils down to I want it and I want It Right F@cking
Now-----------it's what will get us in the end.:)

cfherrman

Union Pacific out here is in bad shape, they can barely go 45 is some spots and have to go slower. They need to replace probably the whole rail across the country