• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

cfherrman

Lol my brand of oil is better

My source is from a dot consultant that was a hypo for like 20-30 years. It has been awhile since I've talked to him since I'm not working for a place that heavily does log books and compliance.

Old Doug

Its like the wild west around here there isnt much law anything gos. The other day some one hauled a load of aluminum if he had anything left when he got there he must have had a big load because he lost a piece every half mile. I know companys that buy farm tags and pull the stickers off . Most every thing i have tryed to figure out was very hard to interpret and the more people i ask the worse it got but when and if a CDL is needed is pretty clear.

cfherrman

It was pretty nuts about 10 years ago with a ton of regs changing, everyone had a different answer.

If you want a correct answer, call dot/hypo or a dot consultant

When I bought a trailer I talked to a hypo about the tag on my truck because the consensus of advice from people was the pickup tag had to have the whole load on it, like I had to add 14k to my tag. Called dot, nope just have to have enough tag for the tongue weight and load in the bed, and not the trailer.

cfherrman

Change your CDL type to type 2, no med card required, you can still drive in state, and is only a med card away from going back to type 1. Only cost you around $20-40 extra each time to renew your license to keep something that will cost 2k-4k to get back

skyking1

Not in our state. Either you're in or you're out. I can do interstate or intrastate. Right now I am intrastate, and have no desire to go on the road.
If I run get anything with my personal pickup and a larger trailer, I will put tonnage on it per Washington's requirements, other than that I am retiring to RSH only.

Last edited:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Willie B,

Are you sure about the 10,001 lb trailer and up requiring a cdl in VT? I looked at the cdl manual for the flow chart as i was curious. It looks to me like it's only a class a requirement if the gcwr is 26001 or higher and the trailer is 10,001 or higher.

View attachment 277150
As I mentioned, It says any trailer rated over 10,000 requires a Class A CDL. Elsewhere, it mentions an exemption if total combined weight rating does not exceed 26000.
I'll have to go back to confirm, Total is based only on GVWR truck added to GTWR trailer, not actual scale weight. 13000 LB rated trailer & 14000 rated truck require CDL regardless of their actual weight. Might be hauling empty plastic milk jugs, still need CDL.
Yes you can tow a 14000 LB trailer with a 11000LB truck as long as you don't exceed the truck's tow rating without CDL.

If laws with exemptions annoy you DO NOT become an electrician.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
As I mentioned, It says any trailer rated over 10,000 requires a Class A CDL. Elsewhere, it mentions an exemption if total combined weight rating does not exceed 26000.
I'll have to go back to confirm, Total is based only on GVWR truck added to GTWR trailer, not actual scale weight. 13000 LB rated trailer & 14000 rated truck require CDL regardless of their actual weight. Might be hauling empty plastic milk jugs, still need CDL.
Yes you can tow a 14000 LB trailer with a 11000LB truck as long as you don't exceed the truck's tow rating without CDL.

If laws with exemptions annoy you DO NOT become an electrician.
Rules are the same here, but I've never seen your flow chart.
Hard absolute you need class A to tow a 10001 or bigger rated trailer. Elsewhere it exempts if combined rated weight is under 26000.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Lol my brand of oil is better

My source is from a dot consultant that was a hypo for like 20-30 years. It has been awhile since I've talked to him since I'm not working for a place that heavily does log books and compliance.
I talked to a lady who's new Jeep Grand Cherokee was shipped with salad oil in the engine to mitigate pollution if it leaked. She tells me the dealer didn't change the oil & the engine seized.

cfherrman

Lol salad oil? I actually bet it it's any kinda of oil the engine would run for quite a bit.

If total tag on your truck and trailer is under 26000, no CDL, but you could still be "commercial" and requires logbook. It's fing stupid rules. If your a small operation don't really worry about it and next truck purchases check the door tag and only buy 10,000 and lower. If your big operation, there's tons of consultants.

cfherrman

Met the guy my story is from at the fuel station this morning. He said they are wanted to put paperless logs on that 1 ton dually now........

Old Doug

I wish every state had the same laws when it came to trucks and CDLs were the same in every state . Then if some one could print a book with the laws that was clear and easy to understand. Things are so different state to state the second you leave your home state and inter into another they could stop you and give you a ticket for not having a proper CDL and give you several tickets for your vehical not complying to there laws even though back in your home state you are legal.

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
314798614_2594174370725049_3959571675879051892_n.png

skyking1

Those big meats on the Mafia Wagon are too big for the standard Uhaul basket tie downs. Uhaul has that all well documented, I just crossed the whole country with one of their trailers and it was a fine experience overall.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Those big meats on the Mafia Wagon are too big for the standard Uhaul basket tie downs. Uhaul has that all well documented, I just crossed the whole country with one of their trailers and it was a fine experience overall.
We had one of those Dodge wagons with a Hemi in it. It was a fast car, and really good road car for long trips. Ours made a quick departure though when our son got his first speeding ticket in it. He was clocked at 110MPH. My wife said that fast car had to go, and she was not letting our son near it again. He got a little 4 cyl car to drive after that episode.