• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Old Doug

Im planning on getting a 1980-1995 f150-250 with the 300 and hopefully manual 4x4 for my daughter as her first vehicle.
I just found a 94 f150 for a buddy for his Daughter. It is a 302 i like the 300s but the 302 is better for a daily driver. Its smother and has a better rpm range .

colson04

I had an 86 f150 with a 302 as my first truck. Then, a couple years later, stepped up to a 96 f150 with a 302. Both trucks had solid engines, thought 15mpg was all either of them would do, no matter how nice you drove them. Both 4WD

colson04

I grew up a car guy. Was within days of having to have my wife drive for our honeymoon from suspended license. Now, I have 3 fancy Italian sports cars, 2 with over 500 hp. Won't go over 30 mph, I drive them all over off road, let others drive them, always full rack. Cars just don't impress me that much any more.

And I still have a really sweet garage queen piece of Detroit iron that needs a new home.

Where's the pics?!?!?!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I had an 86 f150 with a 302 as my first truck. Then, a couple years later, stepped up to a 96 f150 with a 302. Both trucks had solid engines, thought 15mpg was all either of them would do, no matter how nice you drove them. Both 4WD
Sounds like my first truck. Last year of the 2nd Gen Ram 1500 with the big 360 in it. I'd get about 600 km to a 96L tank of fuel. It got much worse than that after I lifted it lol.

crane operator

Sounds like my first truck. Last year of the 2nd Gen Ram 1500 with the big 360 in it. I'd get about 600 km to a 96L tank of fuel. It got much worse than that after I lifted it lol.
I got the 360 part, but you lost me on the rest of it. We use freedom units here.

All our Mexican built trucks come set up for screaming eagle measurements.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I got the 360 part, but you lost me on the rest of it. We use freedom units here.

All our Mexican built trucks come set up for screaming eagle measurements.
Lets just say 15 mpg stock, about 12 after the lift and tires. I'd have the low fuel light come on after about 4 to 4.5 hours of driving lol.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Here is a photo of the first truck I owned new. Bought it when I graduated from college in spring of 1973. It is a 73, Ford, F150, v8, 4 speed manual, 4wd, and long bed. As I recall I gave $3200.00 new for it. That was a dependable truck. I remember I bought it with Firestone Super All TRaction tires. They had a very open tread, kind of like a tractor. Bet I didn't get 25,000 on that set of tires. They sure would pull in mud though.

Attachments

• car my new F150 pickup in 1973 two.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG00047.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 34

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Four local guys ordered 1973 F250s same day. None had much for options. All were 351 V8 if I'm not mistaken. All four wheel drive, four speed, 2 had power steering. Those trucks took a beating!

All rusted out in 5 years & one of them I put rockers, cab corners door skins & new front fenders. The owner drove it into the late eighties, then it disappeared. He died a couple years ago. A local guy was cleaning up for his daughter. The truck had been parked out of sight on an abandoned paved road. He dug it out & got it running. He ran it around a while on the farm. I don't know where it is now. About as rusty now as it was in 1978.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Back to the Darge and Frod issues with frames. IIRC from my days in HD Trucking Shops, there was a BAD series of years for ALL trucks as to frame issues. Pete, KW, even IH and the off breeds as Dodge GM and Ford. Seems some Enganearing whip decided was FAR too much Spring Roll in Frames from the ever increasing HP of the day so they opted to Thicker, stiffer, more solid rails. And AGAIN, IIRC we then were at about year three or four of those where the stress fracturing began with a endless chain of trucked in REPLACEMENT Rails for the ones we were finding and the ones that had not been caught yet.
Freightliners were always too light, could almost raise the LF Tire taking off hard with a full 73,280 against a old 335 or later 400 Cummins, those tended to crack or snap at the rear engine mount or right behind the cab latches regardless and crossmember gussets in a steady parade of flux. Petes and KWs usually just ahead of the Forward Drive axle Front Spring Hanger. Whites no matter the model were like freight shakers and the Off Breeds were anyone's guess where would split.
The shop I was in at Feld Rental STL, had some eight or nine full frame changes in a six month span. Following that fiasco trucks came back to Flexing Frames as steel that flexes, at least Some, is less likely to break.

When I saw that first Darge Commercial with that Super Stiff Frame to counter that Oft 'stomach-churning' Frame Twist and roll my own stomach rolled, I was wondering when the catastrophic failures would start. Ford followed suit pretty quick on that Dodge band wagon so should be interesting to see how runs out and how many recalled machines will happen.