• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

skyking1

Actually DOT here would ticket you for that strap on the rear.
Not here. It's all relative. That is one of two straps on the rear, either one could hoist the whole thing up :)
The issue with that little thing is a total lack of good tie down points.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Then there is the driver who runs with drop down on empty refer trailer.
I see 14 yard tandem trucks carrying 17 yards all day. They have an added axle, but I've almost never seen one down. I'll presume they only come down when they see the TRUCK INSPECTION sign. Like aircraft wheels, a set of tires rots off before they wear out.

Truck Shop

Not a overload-but half of the day was real depressing.

Coming back to shop from a far off service call cruising along doing speed limit following 400 yards or so back from a semi in front. Chevy Yukon come up
behind me and passed. It got right up behind the truck ahead and kept darting out looking to pass. Then it started to pass-head on into a early 90's ford
pickup, both at 65 plus. I stopped grabbed my phone and a couple of towels. The guy driving truck I told to direct traffic, person in pickup died instantly.
The driver of the chevy passed on in only a few minuets if that. I'm not a religious man but I said a prayer for both and last rights.

People--can someone tell me what the hurry is about.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Had two morons pass me today(Was doing 60) on a No Passing Double Yellow, on two lane blacktop 55mph limit, IN THE DARK. Got toward Big Spring MO and they BOTH turned off on Hwy Y, pulled into a Anhydrous Pipeline station not a half mile in. NO NEED to pass for them to get there within seconds of when did.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Almost had one hit me head on yesterday, I would of survived easily but they wouldn't. Raining yesterday going down rock and clay road, I came over a hill headed home from CDL test instead of them slowing down they're still doing about 50 mph when I seen their truck go sideways, only thing saved them I was doing 20 mph and they had time to correct before hitting me.

suladas

Not here. It's all relative. That is one of two straps on the rear, either one could hoist the whole thing up :)
The issue with that little thing is a total lack of good tie down points.

That's a good thing. Here no straps on equipment no matter what.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Not a overload-but half of the day was real depressing.

Coming back to shop from a far off service call cruising along doing speed limit following 400 yards or so back from a semi in front. Chevy Yukon come up
behind me and passed. It got right up behind the truck ahead and kept darting out looking to pass. Then it started to pass-head on into a early 90's ford
pickup, both at 65 plus. I stopped grabbed my phone and a couple of towels. The guy driving truck I told to direct traffic, person in pickup died instantly.
The driver of the chevy passed on in only a few minuets if that. I'm not a religious man but I said a prayer for both and last rights.

People--can someone tell me what the hurry is about.

Sorry to hear that, rather awful situation, someone making a foolish decision that started it all and caused so much havoc. I think the hurry is the ME generation, not worried
about anyone else.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Here, it's most often license plates other than green, often BMW or Mercedes, maybe Lexus. 50 MPH 2 lane, not a lot of places with dotted center stripe. Average flow of traffic is 60, ten miles over limit. These people are CRAZY! They pass in no passing zones with oncoming traffic. Typically, somebody has to take the breakdown lane to avoid a wreck.

suladas

I don't think the worst part is people being impatient. It's how stupid people are and how little they pay attention. Years ago I was in an accident where a guy leaving a parking lot turning left just drove right into the side of my truck. Like straight into the side of the box, not icy, not dark nothing just not paying attention at all. A bad driver is always a hazard on the road whether or not they are speeding or driving erratically, sometimes the slowest drivers are the most dangerous. I don't know how many close calls i've had with people doing 20+ under the limit on a clear dry summer day it causes a huge hazard of people trying to get around them and backing up traffic, if you're not comfortable doing within 5 mph of the speed limit and there isn't a reason for it like being a semi, you shouldn't be on that road.

Closest call i've had was a bike coming towards me trying to pass, I don't think he was back in his lane for 2 seconds before we met. I was driving my dump truck pulling my 210 hoe, not sure how anyone can see 90,000 pounds coming towards them at 55 MPH and think "good time to pass". The part that really pissed me off about it is I think a lot of other drivers would have swerved into the ditch or shoulder, potentially writing off the rig, maybe even killing themselves because someone else did something stupid. I didn't budge on the steering wheel, I did let off the accelerator to slow down a bit but that's all i'm doing. If someone is dumb enough to pass and come at me head on in the semi, unless it's a lot bigger truck i'm staying in my lane because it's the safest option.