• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Similar to axle limits in the major metro commercial zones here, so long as axle weights are good can have as many axles as want and gvw can go to the moon.

Just not on interstate roads.

suladas

Which ever way one needs a CDL now, good luck it's mandatory paying to go to school for it, it's out of reach for those who can take the test without sitting in a class. I predict more tickets will be handed out as more skirt the law of requiring one.

I got in right before that BS got in here, I didn't have to do the 120 hours, just do the new road test. Absolutely stupid. Pre trip was like an extra 30 mins, because you have to open the hood and touch every single thing, which is of absolutely no value. The driving part was exactly the same, they made the backup a bit harder, but stupid. Old one was 3 tries to do a 90 backup, only 1 pull up. New one is 20 minutes to do a 90 backup and a parallel park, pull ups virtually unlimited. I took the old test in dump truck with my pintle trailer and I nearly failed because combination is so long and just doesn't turn short enough. New backup I did in 7 minutes, because it's not hard. The 90 makes sense, but the parallel park is retarded, even the examiner said it's something you'll never do again. It baffles me how many cannot do the backup though, examiner said so many fail on it and they are looking at making it easier so more pass, and some are more lax on it and let people slide a bit.

License here is more straightforward, never needed for a pickup. Need 3 once you are a tandem on air, and a 1 if trailer is on air.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
In VT, I see plenty of triaxles, maybe half the big haulers use some triaxles. I NEVER see the third axle on the ground.
I believe they only push the third axle down when they see the sign for truck check point.
Never seen local haul trucks with more than three rear axles.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Everybody has recently started using a flimsy pusher/tag super dump config around here. I have noticed drivers not lifting when they should. I think they are able to lift from the cab. Saw one entering a job site loaded with the rear axle still down. The entrance was covered with 2-4" crushed to knock the mud off tires before entering the county road and the rocks were flying from the little tires as he made the corner. Surprised it did not knock a tire off the bead or cause a flat. Or scrubbing around a sharp corner with the tread all rolled out to one side.

Truck Shop

Drop axles are to be raised in tight turns on asphalt off road not as much a problem. Should be wired to reverse backup light switch. But when
raised the steer is maxed out and it puts a strain on power steering pump and steering gear.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The tri axle in the fleet I work for does not steer so has to be raised for tight cornering, the quads are all spring loaded king pin axles and are generally a must due to wheelbase when loaded. With greater than 22t on the steer will be carrying close to or over 23000 with the axles up. Ours do have a backup circuit over ride.

skyking1

around here the popular newer truck is 7 axles. the usual three plus three drops in between those, and the strong arm at the back. Because Washington State follows the bridge rules, that is what it takes to haul 25 tons legally here.

colson04

backed up to a paver? That is what a lot of these trucks do, haul top course and then mix.

I see 11 axle tractor trailers here all day hauling asphalt and backing up to the paver. All are live unload, rarely see a dump truck hauling asphalt, but they are around too, just not the preferred choice given our weight restrictions.
20210816_210714.jpg
11 axles like this can go to 158,000 pounds gross. If they space them a bit different, they can go up to 164,000 on 11 axles.

Truck Shop

They scrub like hell, tire shops always stay busy.

Which also means the suspension and wheel seals take a beating along with frame stress plus higher fuel consumption. I would bet the drive tires
get worked hard. Which is added into the high cost of the project. Out here bridges are posted with axle groups and max tons. Even with that many
axles the weight is concentrated wouldn't pass out here without special permit and even then not steady use. Sometimes it gets to grandiose.