• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
One of my sons tried to convince me to buy a tandem, or triaxle dump. His first job out of college was a Davis-Bacon federal project driving a dump truck. I've considered it. The down side is NO used truck is on the market ready to run. D Miller entered into his project with eyes wide open, knew it'd be a big job. He has systematically repaired everything it needed. His truck, when finished will run another million miles with only minor problems.
I can't afford new, I SURE can't afford old.

suladas

One of my sons tried to convince me to buy a tandem, or triaxle dump. His first job out of college was a Davis-Bacon federal project driving a dump truck. I've considered it. The down side is NO used truck is on the market ready to run. D Miller entered into his project with eyes wide open, knew it'd be a big job. He has systematically repaired everything it needed. His truck, when finished will run another million miles with only minor problems.
I can't afford new, I SURE can't afford old.

I'm sure it's got a lot worse in the last year or so but if you look hard enough you'll find something good. I paid $7k for my tandem, and 2 years later i've probably spent $20k in repairs maybe doing 1/4 of them myself or I could have saved a ton in labor but it's a solid truck that will go for a long time yet. The thing I like is compared to a 10-15 year old truck that could need exactly the same work, then you also still got electronics and emissions to deal with. Mine has been a lot of regular maintenance like tires, brakes, hoist, etc things that I will never have to do again. I rarely use it, but it's nearly paid for itself already. When it would cost me $800 to move my hoe and I move it twice in a day in and out of a job, it pays for itself very fast.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
If you are over 26k lbs GCWR/GVWR, have air brakes, carrying over 15 passengers or over 100 gallons of any liquid you need some form of CDL.

Some of that is incorrect according to the Fed rules.

26,000 GVWR and below with air brakes does not require a CDL. An air braked truck rated at 26,000 GVWR or less can tow a trailer 10,000 GVWR or less for a gross combined weight rating of 36,000 legally without a CDL.

Now a juice braked 1 ton at 13,000 GVWR pulling an 18,000 GVWR goose neck would require a Class A CDL according to the Feds.

As far as transporting diesel one can transport more than 100 gallons in a single tank. Thunder Creek has figured a way around the rules to transport a lot diesel legally without a CDL and hazmat.

https://thundercreek.com/products/multi-tank-trailers.html

Clear as mud because it's government.

Last edited:

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Some of that is incorrect according to the Fed rules.

26,000 GVWR and below with air brakes does not require a CDL. An air braked truck rated at 26,000 GVWR or less can tow a trailer 10,000 GVWR or less for a gross combined weight rating of 36,000 legally without a CDL.

Now a juice braked 1 ton at 13,000 GVWR pulling an 18,000 GVWR goose neck would require a Class A CDL according to the Feds.

As far as transporting diesel one can transport more than 100 gallons in a single tank. Thunder Creek has figured a way around the rules to transport a lot diesel legally without a CDL and hazmat.

https://thundercreek.com/products/multi-tank-trailers.html

Clear as mud because it's government.

I've never known for sure, I posed the question to two different VT AOT officers, got two different answers.
I once owned a Chevrolet C65 with air. It was titled at 25999 LB but nameplate GVWR was 27500. I got two different answers as to a need for CDL.
When I added a 9 ton trailer, there was no longer a doubt I needed CDL.
VT DMV threw every obstacle in my path they could. I showed up a total of six times for my tests. Four of these trips were in a borrowed (bartered) truck & trailer with licensed CDL driver accompanying me.
A written test for Learner's Permit.
A written test for License. At the time of this test I was aware VT would later that year require a medical card for all CDL licenses, but none was required for in state use. I specifically asked, was told none would be required.
I arrived with truck, trailer, & accompanying CDL driver, only to be refused for lack of a medical card.
"You told me I didn't need one."
"Who told you that?"
"You."
"Well, the law changes this year, we are enforcing it early."
My doctor was pissed! I didn't realize I was kicking over a hornet's nest. He said: "I'm qualified to teach other doctors, & nurses to administer the test, but I myself have to attend a weeklong course to keep my certification."
Next appointment he failed me on the Pre Trip Inspection. I failed to inspect trailer headboard & landing gear. I pointed
the trailer wasn't equipped with either. "You need to mention that."
I also didn't inspect the windshield & mirrors. I hadn't adjusted the mirrors. I responded: "I did that before driving to Rutland."
Next appointment was made over the phone. When I arrived he informed me he had no record of me having an appointment.
Last appointment, my Licensed driver, borrowed truck & trailer backed out a few days before. I scrambled, spent a couple thousand on my own truck & found a retired trucker to accompany me. I took two hours on pre trip inspection, crawled around under the truck way too long. I pointed out lack of landing gear & headboard, but checked function of jack. I checked the windshield & mirror adjustment. Asked him to adjust passenger side (it was already perfect). He finally cut me short on pre trip inspection.
I finally got to take the road test & docking maneuver.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Which ever way one needs a CDL now, good luck it's mandatory paying to go to school for it, it's out of reach for those who can take the test without sitting in a class. I predict more tickets will be handed out as more skirt the law of requiring one.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Could Not get a photo as was entering a quarry and the guy came past me coming towards me. One ton Dually packed with tooling and boxes to the front, Lightweight low deck narrow Gooseneck, onboard a Kubota 40-60hp mid sized tractor with cab, loader, bush hog on back, in the RAISED Loader Bucket a Tined Grapple Bucket and a Roll Over Box Blade INSIDE the Grapple Inside the Bucket. One Chain forward, never saw any other tie down, behind him was a 3/4ton Squatted with a tongue low deck and a Mini Ex with two extra buckets on it, One chain to front one to rear and elevated arm with bucket curled under swinging free pointed Rearward. And NO DOT in sight when EVERY DAY otherwise they sit like vultures outside said quarry.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Could Not get a photo as was entering a quarry and the guy came past me coming towards me. One ton Dually packed with tooling and boxes to the front, Lightweight low deck narrow Gooseneck, onboard a Kubota 40-60hp mid sized tractor with cab, loader, bush hog on back, in the RAISED Loader Bucket a Tined Grapple Bucket and a Roll Over Box Blade INSIDE the Grapple Inside the Bucket. One Chain forward, never saw any other tie down, behind him was a 3/4ton Squatted with a tongue low deck and a Mini Ex with two extra buckets on it, One chain to front one to rear and elevated arm with bucket curled under swinging free pointed Rearward. And NO DOT in sight when EVERY DAY otherwise they sit like vultures outside said quarry.
Out here one can do that but won’t pay a fine through DOT. Nope you will pay through shredded tires on the rocks instead, a busted leaf spring or find yourself in a ravine cause you couldn’t make the curve and went straight instead. No speed limit out here either, but you are of your own demise out here.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Which ever way one needs a CDL now, good luck it's mandatory paying to go to school for it, it's out of reach for those who can take the test without sitting in a class. I predict more tickets will be handed out as more skirt the law of requiring one.
Vermont delayed instituting that law planned for 2020. My younger son heeded my pressure & got his CDL at age 19. Older son didn't do it then. He has an appointment September 1. I dearly hope he passes. He will if DMV doesn't pull any of their signature dirty tricks.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
So glad DOT was NOT in Friday, New Guy on loader in the Quarry stockpiles, Usually take 20t and we repeat that every time we enter the load out piles, First Load I left with 22t Second was a Shock where the old gal running the scale asked if I wanted I could go dump and reload at near to 24t, Final of the day was 20 and a half.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
So glad DOT was NOT in Friday, New Guy on loader in the Quarry stockpiles, Usually take 20t and we repeat that every time we enter the load out piles, First Load I left with 22t Second was a Shock where the old gal running the scale asked if I wanted I could go dump and reload at near to 24t, Final of the day was 20 and a half.

25 ton tri-axle loads are the norm and legal on state and secondary roads here in AL. When estimating how many TN's of stone I need for a job I round it to the closets 25 ton load. Of course 25 TN on a tri-axle is not legal on Interstate HWY's.

Truck Shop

When I was working for a ag company 18 years back, I would run four A-trains in grain harvest. It kept the chemical drivers busy during harvest.
I only drove moving equipment for spray operation and that was random.
The drivers would always start a $1 pool every day and let it run until one of them hit the 105,500 lb mark at elevator scales. Hauling out of the
field to port elevators the wheat can vary in weight a lot plus you get to figure fuel burned on a 30 mile trip one way and four to five trips a day.
One of the drivers had a emergency trip to the dentist one morning so I ended up driving that day {I hooked Old Queenie to his set of Western
hoppers. Old Queenie was a 1984 Pete 359 with a very good running 7FB 400, 15 spd overdrive with 3.70's. I had completely rebuilt this tractor}.
First trip I crossed the scales at 105,540. Second trip 105,480. Third time was a charm 105,500.:) Last two trips both 105,460.

It really pissed off the drivers-I didn't take the pool money though.

Truck Shop

When hauling grain it's like a live load-it can shift so some axles may weigh a little more than others. It's just hitting the exact GVW permitted.

Truck Shop

A-train set is a 40' two axle lead trailer with a 20' two axle pup and a three axle tractor. 12,000 on steer,
34,000 on drives, 34,000 on lead trailer axles, 25,500 on pup axles.

011.JPG

Last edited:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
On another note. Could not think where to put this and then my own thread popped up so I thought I would put it here.

The guy did a great job loading that 9 on that piece O trailer.:D