• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Overload of the Day

Truck Shop

Here's a real overload that rolled on it's side at the sharpest curve area of Lime Canyon I-84
near the burg of Durkee Ore. Happened about 5 days ago, had I-84 shut down both directions
for at least 16 hours, windmill support tower. Expensive not to mention the mess it made of the
equipment hauling it.
65f331b874146.image.jpg65f331ae9db6c.image.jpg65f331b9e9a4b.image.jpg65f331b562a5b.image.jpg

Truck Shop

That towing outfit doing the recovery---that's going to be a huge bill. The one they recovered
for us {the Coronado that laid on it's side in same spot}, they spiked the job pulled every rig
out on stand by just setting--our clean up was $46,000--yup 46K.

crane operator

they spiked the job pulled every rig
out on stand by just setting--our clean up was $46,000--yup 46K.
Every big wrecker and rotator I see for sale, prices from $300-700,000, all the ads say "new truck on the way" . They must be making a killing on the insurance calls on the road accident clean up jobs.

Our local wrecker guy retired a few years ago, and no one has taken his place. The concrete and dump trucking outfits are really hurting when there are accidents and guys stuck, all the wrecker services are 2,3,4 hours out when you call.

I still keep kicking it around, but I can't do a midnight clean up and run crane the next day. And my wife doesn't want the 2 am phone calls. But there's a need out there for someone in my area that knew what they were doing.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Can really relate CO. Local north of here walked away from Tow services, next closest is 30-50 miles away as to heavy recovery. Those services keep getting insurance increases with added permitting fees for the big rotators. Those are over axle weight before connect a hook or leave the yard.

No one wants the liability or the hires and fires to run these.

Shimmy1

I don't buy it. What they can't find are competent people willing to do the job required. Liability can be purchased. Equipment can be purchased.

What can't be purchased anymore is a brain and a body willing to do some honest work for a good paycheck.

Truck Shop

But there's a need out there for someone in my area that knew what they were doing.
In the business---that's a catch phrase {knew what they were doing}.
Got that right.
In order to pay for those huge payment class eight heavy tow trucks----you need even more
smaller 550 tow trucks and roll beds to keep the business going. The amount of wrecks
through spring, summer & fall have doubled--winter time is now the bonus season. All this
goes along with TOO many frigging trucks on the road. In Washington State if your tow
company is on law enforcement roster {city, county, state}, the state set the hourly rate for
class eight IIRC at $400.00 plus an hour, that was a few years back more now.
Here's the deal--with all the aerodynamic items on cars & trucks you better have a tow
truck completely {COMPLETELY} outfitted with every towing accessory for hook up. Most
all the forks on my-{company} truck, I custom built just for our trucks. But like I said
above, get a safety vest with a bright Target on the front and back because the average
driver is looking for {SOME ONE TO RUN OVER}.
*310680976_5407620279359612_7517875667616461418_n.jpg

Truck Shop

I don't buy it. What they can't find are competent people willing to do the job required. Liability can be purchased. Equipment can be purchased.

What can't be purchased anymore is a brain and a body willing to do some honest work for a good paycheck.
I think he's referring to the L&I side of things.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Insurance is Insane High for the recovery companies, cover incidental accidents in calls as well the equipment during recovery operations that either fails or gets mauled. Just the little local body shop here, a Single Roll Back ton and half IH or his 1997 Chevy with a Squirt boom, Each is $2400/month, then have to pay wages for emergency calls. Towing is Not Cheap but is Not the towers that are causing the expense rises.

Truck Shop

Towing is Not Cheap but is Not the towers that are causing the expense rises
Correct---but then one gets to add in {if on law enforcement roster in this state} a approved
impound yard. WSP sets the standard on that. Plus it needs to have a enclosed {building}
for some cases. Also you get to deal with all the abandoned cars/trucks, basically your towing
business becomes the disposal site/collector of all the worthless garbage cars left along side
the road that become a traffic hazard. Which means you get to pull all the plates & turn that
information over to DMV, then try to auction the junk in a abandon sale to hopefully get some
kind of return on all included costs of removing from the public eye. Most go for scrap and we
all know what that pays.
D&M Towing & Repair a outfit I worked for years back sold all of his class eight recovery units.
Got sick and tired of cleaning up the wreck sites and or left along side road and stuck for the
bill.
And in the business there called tow trucks/recovery units not wreckers, Wreckers wreck things.
Only thing Ernest Holmes had wrong was the description. Holmes built the best.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Tow truck I ran should been a Wrecker!!
56 Diamond T, GAS.
Good truck hard on operators. Pretty much gone today are Holmes or Squirt boom tow trucks on Ton and Half SA chassis, nearly all are axle lift, roll back or the use of Low boy Landoll style Tractor Trailer set ups with winches and Massive Rotators, next stop before a full crane.

Truck Shop

434031922_7810511325635405_7295233362690125724_n.jpg

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
My life has been wast
Tow truck I ran should been a Wrecker!!
56 Diamond T, GAS.
Good truck hard on operators. Pretty much gone today are Holmes or Squirt boom tow trucks on Ton and Half SA chassis, nearly all are axle lift, roll back or the use of Low boy Landoll style Tractor Trailer set ups with winches and Massive Rotators, next stop before a full crane.
My life has been wasted on people who define any machine painted yellow as a "bulldozer", pi$ses me off.