• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

overcharged battery in NH skid steer now NO start?

mrbb

OK so today I went and started the machine up, to check voltage at alt and at battery terminals
when machine started(all good there) right off I seen a new reading on the dash display, only now its reading 15.8 volts
so, I went and checked at alternator and its reading 16.2 volts there, and at the battery its reading 16 volts
when key is on and NOT motor NOT running, battery on display reads 12.6 volts

so, I think I still have something wrong, and possibly its the new alternator, and its making too much power?

factory alternator was a 55 amp alt, and new one is a 70 amp one?
I have replaced any alt over the yrs with higher output one's and never had any issue's
and I didn't buy this one due to it was higher output, was just what I found first? and offered free return shipping over others that didn't, so just bought due to incase WHAT IF> side of things?

so, any thoughts here, or do you all just think I need a different alternator, it was supposed to be for this machine, and I checked numbers twice before ordering/, so don't think its a wrong PER machine alternator, maybe just a defective one or?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The amperage put out by an alternator is independent to the voltage as far as I'm concerned.
A "12v nominal" alternator usually produces about 14v.
Think about this comparison. Consider the battery as a type of accumulator, it stores energy. If the battery gives 12.6v when fully charged then it stands to reason that in order to drive energy back into the battery in the reverse direction, then more than 12.6v has to be applied to it in order for the process to work - hence my "about 14v" comment above.

mrbb

The amperage put out by an alternator is independent to the voltage as far as I'm concerned.
Think about this comparison. Consider the battery as a type of accumulator, it stores energy. If the battery gives 12.6v when fully charged then it stands to reason that in order to drive energy back into the battery in the reverse direction, then more than 12.6v has to be applied to it in order for the process to work - hence my "about 14v" comment above.
yes I get it it needs to charge with more than it stands at to replace what it uses

but I am NOW at 16.volts at the battery,. is that TOO much
at 14 I was OK with being there, even a little higher, but at 16 volts being put into the battery
the battery is being charged all the while motor is running, so
as at some point when motor is running, battery will be fully charged and then will the 16 volts be Over charging it too much
will it harm things being that high on voltage being run thru things?

Bluox

Not according to ohms law.
Bob

Bluox

yes I get it it needs to charge with more than it stands at to replace what it uses

but I am NOW at 16.volts at the battery,. is that TOO much
at 14 I was OK with being there, even a little higher, but at 16 volts being put into the battery
the battery is being charged all the while motor is running, so
as at some point when motor is running, battery will be fully charged and then will the 16 volts be Over charging it too much
will it harm things being that high on voltage being run thru things?
If you have a automotive electric rebuilder or a good parts store take your battery and alternator in to be checked. One or both may have a problem.
Good luck
Bob

ianjoub

All this run around and you still haven't replaced the battery with a known good one?

Have you also tried more than one multimeter to be sure your readings are correct?

mrbb

All this run around and you still haven't replaced the battery with a known good one?

Have you also tried more than one multimeter to be sure your readings are correct?
well I did have battery checked and it IS good, so, I KNOW I have a good battery in the machine, was load tested by a chain auto parts store, and I have swapped to a different KNOWN good battery too
so battery is NOT the issue here at all

and have used two different volt meters as well, mine and my repair guys and both give same readings!