• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oroville Spillway Repairs

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
A recent flyover....

Just a side note, it is amazing the amount of nonsense that various attention seeking internet people have taken footage from various sources, slightly modified it and claimed the dam was going to fall into the ocean and everybody north of San Diego would be drowned. And also that the Illuminati are quietly slipping out the hundreds of tons of gold each night that they are getting out of this rock pile.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Rather awesome video! with that heavy downslope, it looks like they need some air injector slots to cause the turbulent flow to happen sooner!

The dam is totally going to end up in the ocean, probably in less than a half million years too.

Shimmy1

They were one of the ones mentioned in the news that fired some guys for posting spillway pics on the internet.
Fired for what? Are they trying to hide something? Or are they just being that funny about guys having their phones with them?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Fired for what? Are they trying to hide something? Or are they just being that funny about guys having their phones with them?

Company policy of not posting photos of the job site. I expect they always had this policy in place. You know how safety nazis and environment nazis and air pollution nazis and whoever's hands this might fall into might damage the company. I would enact the same policy. Too little to gain, too much to lose.

And having dealt with the ignorant media, the less ammunition they have to hang you or your employer with, the better. The media was really out for blood a couple weeks back asking all sorts of accusatory and ignorant questions at the press conferences. They seem to have tamped that down pretty good. I am sure there are problems but the media has about a 0% chance of digging up real truth and delivering it to you so the less rocks you can give them to throw back at you, the better.

Been following this series. Least amount of hype I could find.

Juan is a commercial airline pilot and also moonlights for a civil engineering firm here so he is of the analytical mind type to give facts and not spin. Also he is doing this on his own time. Lives just a mile or two from here and went to the local paper so he could get a press pass and went right in there with the Director and head engineer and helicopter pilots and everybody and asked intelligent questions.

Most others you find on YouTube are just regurgitating video they ripped off from elsewhere and have little to no first hand knowledge and are just trying to get clicks. Some other locals are Pee Wee the Pinstriper and E 72 Knight though he tends a little toward the conspiracy side, at least he is in there generating his own video and story.

daddy2kids

I too think it's company policy. They should have posted those anonymously.
If they're trying to hide something, that's the only way people will know what's really going on with the spillway and the repairs.

DPete

Supposed to be a free country? Not only that but we the tax payers are footing the repair bill, we should have the right to know and see what's up!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It is free if you are there freely. If the boss is paying your wage you have to do what he says, quit if you don't like it. Which is effectively what these guys did.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
It's a safety issue also, that jobsite is organized chaos, enough things to worry about let alone a bunch of distracted operators taking pictures and videos.

I'm frequent GM plants for my job, on the factory floor there is no walking and using a phone allowed. Would guess someone walked into the aisle and got pasted by a forklift.

Ed

Catsparky1

My grandfather worked on that dam . 8 or so years ago I worked in that dam on the powerhouse . Wish I was still on with SRC cause I would be there right now . I had some really cool pics of it be built by grand daddy .

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
The company I worked for and most of our clients had a no photo without permission policy. I don't know how many times I have seen photos in the newspaper of some idiot hamming it up in a photo while committing a dozen OSHA violations. Fortunately, not on my jobs. Always fallout for the contractor. We let the media take photos and write stories but we always checked the stories to see if they got the facts straight and we checked the photos for safety violations. Its amazing how a reporter with no clue about the project can accidently twist up the facts and stir the pot. They usually are grateful for the time spent helping get the story factual.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
My grandfather worked on that dam . 8 or so years ago I worked in that dam on the powerhouse . Wish I was still on with SRC cause I would be there right now . I had some really cool pics of it be built by grand daddy .
It would be cool if you could post some of the build pictures.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
So much for accurate climate predictions. California is at the forefront of 'global warming prevention' and the 'practice' of climate science, and yet they can't predict some winter rain! DWR nearly destroys a dam, because California knows so much about climate change...

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Flyover of the whole situation. Good before and after of the rock pile. Looks like they are going to turn the spillway back on again soon so there will likely be a new rock pile only much smaller. With all the machines and systems in place I am sure they will make short work of it.

Catsparky1

It would be cool if you could post some of the build pictures.
If I could I would but after the divorce all pics are gone . I had thousands of pics from late 50s to current all gone . Grand daddy worked on I 5 , orroville , San louis , California aqueduct , I 80 , US 50 , Grand Coulee , Friant , Kern Friant canal , Cleared the dust bowl and the list goes on . I had pics of all of that . The two pics I miss the most was of him on an rd8 when he was young and the other was him on a d8L . He sat on and skinned all those cats . Long time in the seat pulling sticks !!!!!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
If I could I would but after the divorce all pics are gone . I had thousands of pics from late 50s to current all gone . Grand daddy worked on I 5 , orroville , San louis , California aqueduct , I 80 , US 50 , Grand Coulee , Friant , Kern Friant canal , Cleared the dust bowl and the list goes on . I had pics of all of that . The two pics I miss the most was of him on an rd8 when he was young and the other was him on a d8L . He sat on and skinned all those cats . Long time in the seat pulling sticks !!!!!

Thats to bad. Lots of cool history gone. The old photos are so cool to look at. Recently after 20 years my X sent a single small set of slides that I had taken in the 70s. Looking at them against a lite I believe they are dirt photos of when the Big Stone City power plant was build in the early seventies. I need to get them to someone that can get them digitized,

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Looks like they turned it back on...we'll see how it does this time.

jspplotservlet