• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oroville Spillway Repairs

RBMcCloskey

Occupation
Heavy Construction Contractor
hvy 1ton, thanks for posting the link to the report. Looking at the report, it doesn't surprise me that the spillway was in a poor state of repair. California has been 'running on empty' for many years.

The California DWR never had enough 'time or money' to maintain and fix the spillway, but they are 'heros' now, and they will replace or repair it in an 'amazingly short' amount of time. For an amazing amount of money.
The hero is Peter Kiewit Sons Company and their people.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hope this is further along and ready for water by now, with the storm rolling in off the coast may have to be used.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
The lake is currently at 712', releases can't even start until ~830, and there has not been a drop of rain since May anyway, so the ground will probably soak it all up.

They are not really "under the gun" until January normally, though they try to get work finished by November.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Spot on, but does that include the landscaping charge...!?

Juan actually asked the question near the end of that video, about re-contouring the mountain side, and he seemed a little surprised when they said it was included, so I think that really is close to the final price tag.

My feeling is that bulldozing the roads off and replanting the sticker bushes on the hillside is very small potatoes compared to what they did already, filling up a chasm with RCC and covering another mountain side with it.

I think maybe next year it will be open to the public again, and I will go take a walk around myself. The scale of this thing is enormous, at one time it was the highest dam anywhere and it is not a thin concrete arch, it is an earth embankment. [man made mountain]

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I don't know.... On jobs we do the 'finish work' always commands a pretty steep price!!! especially with all the 'green' stuff involved anymore, wouldn't be surprised to see a 10 percent/job for finishing.

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Definitely the "glory" part of the job, the final clear up and beautifying. Would think / hope it's a satisfying end to a job well done.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Juan actually asked the question near the end of that video, about re-contouring the mountain side, and he seemed a little surprised when they said it was included, so I think that really is close to the final price tag.
[man made mountain]
I'll give you a dollar if you sneak over there with 5 gallons of green lawn dye and make a green spot.