• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Opinions or insight Cat 903

fuggly

Hello all. Our area is forecast to have a cold wet winter so I am looking to pick up some relatively cheap equipment to go through over the winter to justify salaries. I'm supposed to go look at a package that includes a Cat 903 wheel loader. Can anyone tell me what to look for? Problem areas? The stuff has been fleet maintained but I expect the hours to be in excess of 6K. Thanks

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Any machine with 6000 hours will have had most of the hoses changed already. Any hoses not changed yet will be any day . Traction motors and pumps can be anytime on a machine with this kind of hours. That doesn't include heater motors, or anything else . Good idea to have oil samples done on the hydraulics, engine , differentials, transmission.
A good inspection is worth paying for in my opinion.
Simon C

fuggly

Sorry, Evidently my reply got stuck in que and I tried several times to send it Then they all broke loose.

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I have worked on some bit larger models , Have to look at all bucket pins. middle of the machine articulation and all the boom pins. If your not that familiar with inspecting, worth hiring a good experienced guy. You can easily drop 20-40000.00 dollars into a machine that has something hidden going on. Just have to change some drivelines and you will be shocked at what they are worth. Sometimes people put that kind of money into a machine and never get it back. Be careful out there as there are very experienced people playing with the money of others that know less.
Worth hiring a guy for 6-8 hours, take oil samples and then decide the value from the comprehensive inspection. $1000.00 with samples is less than a large major hidden defect worth $30000.00
Hope this helps you make a wise decision.
Simon C

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I have worked on some bit larger models , Have to look at all bucket pins. middle of the machine articulation and all the boom pins. If your not that familiar with inspecting, worth hiring a good experienced guy. You can easily drop 20-40000.00 dollars into a machine that has something hidden going on. Just have to change some drivelines and you will be shocked at what they are worth. Sometimes people put that kind of money into a machine and never get it back. Be careful out there as there are very experienced people playing with the money of others that know less.
Worth hiring a guy for 6-8 hours, take oil samples and then decide the value from the comprehensive inspection. $1000.00 with samples is less than a large major hidden defect worth $30000.00
Hope this helps you make a wise decision.
Simon C

fuggly

Simon,

Thank you again. I'll have someone check it out before I pull the trigger. Were these designed to be production machines or light duty pieces? I'm looking this and a few skid steers that were used to clean up under conveyors at a plant. They have been maintained but not loved. I was looking for a yard piece and for smaller jobs where a Deere 644 or Komatsu 180 were too big and a TL 130 might not be the right fit for either capacity or tracking up the terrain. I haven't had any Cat equipment in the last 20 years because as a smaller contractor that doesn't typically buy new anymore, we get better support from some of the other dealers.

Thanks again,

Stuart

Simon C

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I own a Deere 332G bought new in Jan. 2022 for snow removal and land scaping. It is very fast for snow removal compared to a whell loader. Turns on a dime and weighs 10000 Lbs.
Mine came with 5 Year 2000 HRS powertrain warranty. Used for half of 1 winter and very good.
Be careful for used skidsteers as their life is average only about 5000 Hrs. Some who change oil and all filters more often and who change out hoses before they blow and run a pump dry might get 6- 10000 HRS , but that depends on a lot of factors. Buy new an keep 3000HRS and let someone else do the fixing is my idea. Don't forget that bought cheap will probably mean some large repair bills on these harder to repair units because of emissions. Need a laptop program to test lots of it. Also will be down till the parts arrive.
Simon C

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The two issues I have seen on the small wheel loaders are loose center hitches and problem transmissions. You might post a serial number of what you are looking at. Is it a power shift machine or hydrostatic transmission?

Chan

Hello mate. Anyone might give some idea and help me the problem ive encountered, the caterpillar cs533e ,3054c engine done replacing new fuel injection pump cos the problem is engine hard starting. Now the engine start quickly and smoothly but the problem is engine experience low power under load condition .