• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Operator's Wages

What does an operator get paid?

• $10 or less

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • $10.01 to $13

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • $13.01 to $16

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • $16.01 to $19

Votes: 41 15.8%
  • $19.01 to $22

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • $22.01 to $25

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • $25.01 to $28

Votes: 35 13.5%
  • $28.01 to $31

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Over $31

Votes: 58 22.4%

• Total voters

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Back in Ontario Canada i was making 36 n change for up to 90Ton rate plus more for pension and benifits ..the package worked to about 44-46 $'s an hour ....

None-union guy's were getting 44-50 an hour ..but no benifit's and no pension ..and actually thought they were further ahead ..ever hear of tax's and what it does to that kinda money...
truth be said after 14 yr's of service as an operator (16yrs in OE's total)given what i spent to get in, get trainned ..certification and so on ...
my pension right now would make a good doctor cry with all things considerd..

basspro

Don't suppose they are still hiring in Canada as this thread is from 2006!

I could fit in eh? knew wat i'm taking aboot?

DS150

Occupation
Heavy Equip. operator
44.30 an hr. plus benefits for certified excavator operator in Il.

Drc

I pay lead men/operators $25.00/hr the pipe layer/Crew Boss/Superintendent get more than operators

Boss

As a loader operator we are getting $31.52 an hour plus bene/fringes which total out to about $49.00 an hour. Our screen/crushing plant operator get $27.60 plus bene/fringes which would be around $45.00 an hour.

Mark Thompson

Occupation
Heavy Equipment operator and superintendent
When I was working in Northern Virginia pay was all up and down the charts, some smaller companies were paying far more than the big ones and had better benefits.

Depending on your skills, experience and being close to D.C. your criminal background since many jobs required some type of background check working on government jobs. My pay at the last company I worked for started me out at 19.00 per hour but they also paid fuel for my pickup to just drive it to the job once in a while with a compressor, once I was one for 3 months was making 25.00 per hour and ended up after one year as the dirt superintendent and was making 36.50 and hour. I refused to go salary and was paid well by the hour but not screwing around like my former supervisors did, the owner paid as little as possible to some.

Barfly

Hi guys, I'm an Allrounder in mining (excavator, loader, grader, water cart, haul truck and dozer) I'm at the bottom end of the scale for Western Australia and get around $40 an hour. But, I get to go home everyday so it suits me. People living north of the state are getting the good $$$$, $50 + an hour, but most are fly in fly out jobs.

Cheers Max.

olezy

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Hey guys, new to the forum.

Up here in Northern Ontario were getting maybe $15 if your lucky.

windrow

I went on my own last year. but in ND $34/hr for operators. in 2010./2011 but as far as cost of living, $28/hr was the prevailing wage back in 1996/1997. or $ 17/hr back in 1981. certainly does not go as far as it used to. Somebodys gettin rich but it is not me!

1-5-3-6-2-4

Occupation
Heavy equipment technician
Hi guys, first post. I know this is a long running thread, Just came across it while surfing. I work for Suncor oilsands in Fort McMurray Alberta. As HD mechanic. I got some info from the blacksand box. 2012 rates are Journeyman tradesmen $55.09/hr. mine equipment operators are tier'd based on experience and time worked. I think theres 7 tiers. Operators starting at It is a union mine. Mechanics too. Phase 1-$34.04 to Phase 7-$53.15. Then theres a Senior operator level - $55.09 then Shovel operators rate is $56.39

theres a bunch of other things to add to that. those numbers are only base rates. theres shift differentials, hot shift change differential for operators, yearly safety and environmental bonus (SIS bonus). We got $3,000 last year for that. Retention bonus is currently $18,000/year. that will be renewed this summer. probably for more. Likely $20k a year for a couple year term.

Them full benefits are included. Company matches upto I think 10% or 12% per year into retirement savings.

All overtime, is Double time.

Its a good gig. Suncor oilsands wants to triple output by 2020. From 330,000 barrels per day to 1 million barrels per day. Its real growth. There is real demand for skilled trades and operators up here. And this is just 1 mine up here. Theres got to be 5 other operations in the area I think.

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
Well depending on machines but i will show examples of my area's

In Australia in my area the mining area of the hunter valley a PC200 size machine operator is on about 36-44USD per hr + 11% Super
In china in my area a PC200 operator in the south working in the city is on about 31-38USD per hr + free housing and food.

Colorado Digger

There is no way the chinese are paying 31-38usd per hour. not a chance. my dad out a fair bit of infrastructure in out there and i know the pay scales. not to start an arguement but i just don't buy it. only chance is with a foreign multinational company. but the chinese themselves.. nah..doubt it

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
There is no way the chinese are paying 31-38usd per hour. not a chance. my dad out a fair bit of infrastructure in out there and i know the pay scales. not to start an arguement but i just don't buy it. only chance is with a foreign multinational company. but the chinese themselves.. nah..doubt it

mate is your dad in china? and also mate they do pay that is why the chinese oprators schools make you pay nearly 10,000USD to learn there also it is very hard to get a job in the industry and there is really no muilty national jobs in china in the civil side of it and never seen a non chinese operator in china. and by the way i have a PC200-5 and a few other machines working in Guangzhou in china and i get 65USD per hr for it dry hire and with an operator i get nearly 85USD for the PC200 in china you would bee surprised by a lot of things. china is not what you think there is more Bentlies and benz sold in china then any where else in the world. the lowest wage operator i know he runs a little 6ton hitachi and he is on 145RMB per hr so at todays rates that is 23USD per hr

alco

Hi guys, first post. I know this is a long running thread, Just came across it while surfing. I work for Suncor oilsands in Fort McMurray Alberta. As HD mechanic. I got some info from the blacksand box. 2012 rates are Journeyman tradesmen $55.09/hr. mine equipment operators are tier'd based on experience and time worked. I think theres 7 tiers. Operators starting at It is a union mine. Mechanics too. Phase 1-$34.04 to Phase 7-$53.15. Then theres a Senior operator level - $55.09 then Shovel operators rate is $56.39

theres a bunch of other things to add to that. those numbers are only base rates. theres shift differentials, hot shift change differential for operators, yearly safety and environmental bonus (SIS bonus). We got $3,000 last year for that. Retention bonus is currently $18,000/year. that will be renewed this summer. probably for more. Likely $20k a year for a couple year term.

Them full benefits are included. Company matches upto I think 10% or 12% per year into retirement savings.

All overtime, is Double time.

Its a good gig. Suncor oilsands wants to triple output by 2020. From 330,000 barrels per day to 1 million barrels per day. Its real growth. There is real demand for skilled trades and operators up here. And this is just 1 mine up here. Theres got to be 5 other operations in the area I think.

The funny thing is, working non union across the highway, we make more money, have a better pension, better retention, better savings plan, and don't pay union dies.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
and by the way i have a PC200-5 and a few other machines working in Guangzhou in china and i get 65USD per hr for it dry hire and with an operator i get nearly 85USD for the PC200 in china you would bee surprised by a lot of things. china is not what you think there is more Bentlies and benz sold in china then any where else in the world. the lowest wage operator i know he runs a little 6ton hitachi and he is on 145RMB per hr so at todays rates that is 23USD per hr

I have been to Guangzhou China, big city but nothing to write home about. We stayed at the hotel with the rotating restaurant on top. I was there to attend the Canton Fare, which was quite an exposition.

When I was there the RMB was basically worthless in Hong Kong, has that changed?

JGS Parts

Occupation
Owner JGS Machinery
I have been to Guangzhou China, big city but nothing to write home about. We stayed at the hotel with the rotating restaurant on top. I was there to attend the Canton Fare, which was quite an exposition.

When I was there the RMB was basically worthless in Hong Kong, has that changed?

Mate the Chinese RMB (Yuan) is worth more then the Hong Kong Dollar. how long ago was that? now 1 USD buy about 6.1-6.2RMB and everyday the RMB get stronger against the USD. actaully because of this a lot of the chinese companys now will let you pay them in RMB when i first started doing business here in 2002 no way you could talk about paying them in RMB ll they wanted was the USD but sadly the USD has failed. I just hope the market gets better.

Also i agree with you about guangzhou i dont like it too many people dirty and crappy food. but now just to give you an idea i square meter of of a normal shoe box apartment is worth more then 12,000USD super expensive for realestate in china even more expensive then australia.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
The first time I went was 2005, second time in 2007. Our contacts in Hong Kong that accompanied us into the mainland would only get enough RMB for our trip outside HK. No one we dealt with in HK wanted RMB at that time.

I have been reading a lot about China's super hot real estate market for the last year or so. That coupled with an artificially low RMB is really a recipe for disaster. Everyone in the US said the hot real estate market would continue on....:cool2

In 2007, we got lucky and was upgraded to a hotel suite in Kowloon looking over the bay back towards HK proper, close to the jet boat ferry terminal. The nightly light show was really neat.:)

We road the jet boat ferry a couple of times up the river to the mainland. Also went to Shenzhen and bought designer knock-offs in the "shopping mall" close to the border crossing.:rolleyes: