• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Operator's Wages

What does an operator get paid?

• $10 or less

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • $10.01 to $13

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • $13.01 to $16

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • $16.01 to $19

Votes: 41 15.8%
  • $19.01 to $22

Votes: 27 10.4%
  • $22.01 to $25

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • $25.01 to $28

Votes: 35 13.5%
  • $28.01 to $31

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Over $31

Votes: 58 22.4%

• Total voters

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
It's always interesting to know how much money your job is worth.

It's also been said that people are more willing to openly discuss their sex lives than they are their financial details. For that reason, I'll post a poll.

You can vote in a poll without replying to the thread, and nobody will know what your vote was. Since you are assured of being anonymous, you may as well be honest. :)

The question is, "What is an experienced operator's hourly pay?" If you are an employer, what are you paying, or if you are an employee, what are you getting? I know this was discussd a little in another thread.

If you want to add any comments, please do. (Like, "starting pay is about $5 less", or something enlightening like that)

I realize that the pay scale will differ according to what particular segment of the industry you're in. If anybody wants to say what "Union Scale" is in their neck of the woods, I'm sure we'd all be interested to know. I imagine that people in the green industry are probably getting something a little different form those in residential construction, who are probably getting something a little different than heavy/highway, and mining, and etc. etc. etc. There's probably a difference depending on what part of the world you're in too. (I'm only equipped to think in terms of US dollars.) If benefits are provided, they should be added in to the figure.

It should be interesting to see how much of a variation there is.

Last edited:

John Banks

Well, around here, I have been told that experienced Operating Engineers make about $30 an hour, that's after many years, plus their benefits. Operating Engineers, the old timers run the large machines and most will refuse to get in a backhoe, and almost never will they run a skid steer. The younger guys will run the smaller equipment. Teamsters start about $13 an hour up to about $25 an hour, plus benefits.

Non-union wages run higher than those of the union guys.

A family relative does a lot of the bridge work in and around NYC. Experienced Crane operators there can earn as much as $100-$200 an hour.

A friend of mine runs a concrete shop. He pays his drivers on average $22 an hour, plus benefits. He has three drivers he pays a lot more than that to.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
There's a help wanted ad in last Sunday's Pittsburgh newspaper from an outfit in Virginia. They're offering $19.25 for finish grader operators, $18.50 for excavator, loader, and dozer operators, and $15.50 for CDL drivers. Also, $18 for field mechanics.

Given the poll results so far, it doesn't seem too surprising that they're having to advertise so far from home.

xkvator

a friend of mine's business was a little slow about 2-3 winters ago, so he took a job with an outfit installing sewer lines...i remember him telling me $22/hr.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
It was probably 10 years ago now that I was offered a job by a guy who said he did all "prevailing wage" jobs. I figured for that kind of money I was just as far ahead to park my equipment and go for the nice paycheck every week. That turned out not to be entirely true though, and in the process I learned a good lesson about how important it is to me to be my own boss, regardless of the money. If I recall correctly, at that time laborers were getting around $17, and operators about $22 (That was union wage, plus a couple of bucks added because you didn't get the benefits they got in the union.) That's one of the reasons I'm curious as to what union scale is now. Has it kept pace with the cost of living?

John Banks' comment, "Non-union wages run higher than those of the union guys", kinda surprises me, unless that adjustment for the benefits is the reason.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I worked on a job last year breaking ground for a magnate,I am not sure how to spell that,I have seen "magnet" too but it was one of those over achieving students schools anyway and my payrate was $40.38 an hour which was scale (29.**) plus bennies.Unfortunately there was some family and some politics involved and I only stayed there for about a month and a half.
They sent the super that hired me to another job right away and when he heard that I was out of work he hired me again for the same company and I finished the year with them at about half the pay with the promise of going back to the school job in the spring.Well,guess what I was told in the spring,they always have plenty of help at the school job.lol
I was stacking hazmat on plastic with an old D8K and just had to stay ahead of two rock trucks,a pretty gravy job. :cussing

Nac

Occupation
Construction
If you can find o good operater around hear the min. they will work for is 250 a day and that cash. A union operater makes over 30/ hour in the envolope plus benfits another 20 plus and hour. I was makeing 36/ hour plus benfits as a union carpenter forman

tylermckee

$16 with medical, 401k, profit sharing, and i work 50hrs/week. residential site prep, digging for foundations, backfilling, etc. only been at it for a year and some change. stepdad has been on equipment for 20+ years and he's taught me most of what i know. says im better than most operators he's worked with, dont know if he's stretching the truth or not but i try my best.

itsgottobegreen

I get $20 an hour cash. I only run a backhoe and bobcat in the winter for a friend when its not snowing. Just digging trenchs for utilties. Keeps me busy and pays for christmas. :drinkup

We pay our bobcat, backhoe and plow truck drivers $15 an hour when its snowing. Loader operators get $20 an hour. Usually they get 10 hours of work per storm or more.

Last edited:

D10N

Occupation
Catskinner extraordinaire
I'm getting $16/change an hour as a mine equipment operator. For our mine, operators cap out at $21/hr, plus benefits/401K/retirement.

Equipment I run now is mostly D10N and D10R dozers, 834B rubber tire dozer, 16H and 16G blades, 793B trucks, 789B water truck (33,000 gallon!) and 992C loader.

kamerad47

this goes to show the differance in pay! I have to pay a bobcat operator $15.00 an hour!! the minimum I would have to pay & excavator operator is $25.00 an hour!!!!

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I do all federal jobs now and get $45 minus benefits. But the first co I worked for out here was giving me $18. After a year I got offered $20 to start, so I wanted a raise I got a whole $0.75 wow. But I didn't want to leave they paid to move me to Socal. Six months later I quit for the job I have now I run into the owner every now and again he wants me back I just laugh. It’s hard to think at 22 I make more than I ever will most likely.

Grader4me

Dozerboy said:
I do all federal jobs now and get $45 minus benefits. But the first co I worked for out here was giving me $18. After a year I got offered $20 to start, so I wanted a raise I got a whole $0.75 wow. But I didn't want to leave they paid to move me to Socal. Six months later I quit for the job I have now I run into the owner every now and again he wants me back I just laugh. It’s hard to think at 22 I make more than I ever will most likely.

Wow!! :eek2 I'm living in the wrong part of the world I guess. Heavy equipment operators do not make big bucks here. Many head out west (Alberta) and make real good money. Be nice to hear some feedback on wages from out there

bozoloaderman

Occupation
loader operator in coal mine
I work at Genesee Mine near Edmonton Alberta. My wage as a loader operator is $29.61/hr plus pension(7%) plus Alberta health care($1080.00 yr) plus extended health benefits(dental etc.) We also have a profit sharing program for safety.(6% of gross yearly wage. approx $3600.00 yr.) and then our safety awards totalling $400/yr. Pretty good if I do say so myself!! Haul truck operators make $26.43/hr plus all the benefits. Dragline and tradesmen make $30+/hr and Equipment operators(dozer, grader, hoe, scraper) make $28+/hr. We are the only non-union Luscar operation and we make the highest wage and get the best benefits of all our operations. I was working as an Operating Engineer until 2 years ago when I started at Genesee and I make more now then I ever did as and OE!!!

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
digger242j said:
It's also been said that people are more willing to openly discuss their sex lives than they are their financial details. For that reason, I'll post a poll.

It should be interesting to see how much of a variation there is.

I'm still waiting for the sex poll:bouncegri :bouncegri :bouncegri

Grader4me

bozoloaderman said:
I work at Genesee Mine near Edmonton Alberta. My wage as a loader operator is $29.61/hr plus pension(7%) plus Alberta health care($1080.00 yr) plus extended health benefits(dental etc.) We also have a profit sharing program for safety.(6% of gross yearly wage. approx $3600.00 yr.) and then our safety awards totalling $400/yr. Pretty good if I do say so myself!! Haul truck operators make $26.43/hr plus all the benefits. Dragline and tradesmen make $30+/hr and Equipment operators(dozer, grader, hoe, scraper) make $28+/hr. We are the only non-union Luscar operation and we make the highest wage and get the best benefits of all our operations. I was working as an Operating Engineer until 2 years ago when I started at Genesee and I make more now then I ever did as and OE!!!

Thats good money. Is your province still looking for and hiring heavy equipment operators as much as they were, or has it slowed down? I know a lot of operators from down this way has packed up and made the move to your province to seek employment.

bozoloaderman

Occupation
loader operator in coal mine
There is still a shortage for all sorts of operators in this province. We hired 12 last summer and 3 more this month. Oilsands operators are all looking for people. Couple hundred will be hired for CNRL for 2008 fly in fly out. www.cnrl.com look under Horizon project.
www.albiansands.com
www.suncor.com
www.syncrude.com
www.nacg.ca
www.kmcmining.com
www.iuoe955.com
www.luscar.com
www.gccoal.com

Check out these sites as they will all be hiring and are hiring right now.
No sign of things slowing down any time in the near future. Read an article last week which said this province will need 100,000 workers( all kinds) over the next 5 years. If you want a job in alberta just come here and stand around for 5 minutes and someone will put a shovel in your hand, stand around for 10 and they will hit you with it!!!

Bozo

Grader4me

Thanks Bozo!! I appreciate your reply. I know a lot of guys down here are looking for jobs and I can pass these links along to them. If I wasn't so dam old I would give it a try myself! Thanks again

Peter