• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

open cabs why?

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Open cabs are not an option for us on our wheel loaders, we live and operate in very windy conditions, hot and cold. I like Pete, have ate my share of dirt and I would not expect my operators to work in those conditions, like loading a crusher hopper into the wind. I find myself and the same goes for the operators, they are much more productive in a controlled envirionment, rather than having to battle with the elements day in and day out.

Air conditioners are a constant PITA and are a big expense for us. I have not found a factory fitted a/c that will keep a cab cool in our summers. We usually end up fitting more condensors to dissapate the heat. Without the a/c, the heat in the cab is almost unbearable, but we have to keep the doors and windows shut because of the dust.

I don't think there is any OHSA requirement here to have closed cabs, but they do monitor dust levels in quarries, so by having closed cabs, it keeps the operator from inhaling dust. I doubt that there would be any new machines, apart from very small machines, sold without cabs, in Australia today.

On a lighter note, when pushing out trees and stumps, the space in front of the machine suddenly turns black from an exploding swarm of bees, one is very appreciative of a sealed up air conditioned cab.

RnR.

andoman

We've seen increased production out of enclosed machines of usually 5 to 10%, so all of our dozers, backhoes, and loaders now have them.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
O
Air conditioners are a constant PITA and are a big expense for us. I have not found a factory fitted a/c that will keep a cab cool in our summers. We usually end up fitting more condensors to dissapate the heat.

We have the same problem on some iron you should try tinting the windows. Some tints block out more heat then others too so do a little research. I have hung towels over over the windows I don't need to be looking out of and try and keep that side of the machine facing the sun.

snocrete

Occupation
concrete, light excavating, snow & ice management
I'm surprised see so many posts about NOT having cabs. But to each their own. Spring and fall arent so bad w/o a cab, but the summer and winter operations can be brutal.

We have always painted the top of our Bobcats w/erops white.....drops the temp inside the cab about 10-12 degrees in the hot summer. We never need to run the AC or Heat full blast for extended periods of time.

Hendrik

We have the same problem on some iron you should try tinting the windows. Some tints block out more heat then others too so do a little research. I have hung towels over over the windows I don't need to be looking out of and try and keep that side of the machine facing the sun.
I have seen machines where they have fitted a false roof with a veranda to keep the sun off the cab, we did that to a MF 760 harvester and it made a big difference.

Hendrik

I don't think there is any OHSA requirement here to have closed cabs, but they do monitor dust levels in quarries, so by having closed cabs, it keeps the operator from inhaling dust. I doubt that there would be any new
Whilst there is no requirement for closed cabs you do need to provide dust masks for employees working in dusty conditions and those things are a nuisance.

lgammon

We've seen increased production out of enclosed machines of usually 5 to 10%, so all of our dozers, backhoes, and loaders now have them.

how could you increase production when you add in down time to fix the a/c and the 20-30 mins a day cleaning windows. that is my biggest grip.i hate cleaning windows, grease and dust make a mess! you have less viability, more metal and dirty windows.

Colorado Digger

cabs or not

i have a trim dozer (case850h) it is bald headed and i like it that way. in the winter i have a heater and tarp system rigged up and it keeps me quite warm any large production dozer should probably have a cab. i will never own one but that is my opinion.
the summer never gets too hot out here, maybe 95f so i can handle it. if i live anywhere further south i would have a cab.
the other deal is i only put 500-1000 hours a year on the machine, so it is not quite worth it.,
cleaning windows does not bother be nor does greasing or cleaning out cabs. we clean every cab on friday and blow out the in cab filters regularly.
even my skid and minis have cab and a/c/heat. but these run over 1500-2000 hrs a year.
regards

DGODGR

Interesting opinions here. Here's my 2 pennies. I will not own a dozer without a cab. Of course that will include heat and A/C. If I rent one I would go out of my way to get one with a cab. It's never been an issue though as all the ones I've rented thus far have all had cabs. My main issue is the dust. Dozers seem to do a really good job of kicking up dust (cooling fan). Over the past 25 years I have put enough dirt in my lungs. I don't need anymore. Cab units have never really created a visibility issue before (for me). IMO the only thing you can see anyway is what's rolling off the end of the blade anyway. For me most adjustments are based on feel anyway.

JD955SC

Open cabs also have no glass for vandals to smash out which, according to my father, happened very quickly to any piece of equipment on the construction site that had glass.

I'd still like to have equipment with a cab and A/C, though. Would make spending all day on the tractor more comfortable, for sure...until I get to those happy, happy days, I'll have to stick with a decent pair of goggles and a dust mask.

Deeretime

Occupation
superintendent
Hah i dont think i have ever seen a open cab in alberta in the latst oh say ever!!! My grandfathers d2 even had a aftermarket cab put on it, I did see a feedlot here buy a 644 with a open cab on it and i thought they were stupid for that

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business

You are right, Dozerboy, if we ever have to replace glass, we use tinted glass. I have never been a great fan of stick on tints, some of the old ones went all crappy after a while, but I guess the newer ones are much better. Anything to keep the sun out, towels included, it all makes a big difference.

The problem with a lot of machines, the manufacturers put the condensor in behind the engine bay where it is already hot and it cannot get rid of the heat from the system. On one machine, we have mounted an extra condensor up on the back of the cab, just under the roof line and in the cab, it went from only just doing the job, to very cold. Not only is there more cooling area, but there is also a much larger volume of gas in the system.

I have seen machines where they have fitted a false roof with a veranda to keep the sun off the cab, we did that to a MF 760 harvester and it made a big difference.

That is also a good idea Hendrik, the only problem we have is that we have clearance problems now, especially under trees and a false roof would make it that much higher again.

RnR.

ttazzman

Open cabs are not an option for us on our wheel loaders, we live and operate in very windy conditions, hot and cold. I like Pete, have ate my share of dirt and I would not expect my operators to work in those conditions, like loading a crusher hopper into the wind. I find myself and the same goes for the operators, they are much more productive in a controlled envirionment, rather than having to battle with the elements day in and day out.

Air conditioners are a constant PITA and are a big expense for us. I have not found a factory fitted a/c that will keep a cab cool in our summers. We usually end up fitting more condensors to dissapate the heat. Without the a/c, the heat in the cab is almost unbearable, but we have to keep the doors and windows shut because of the dust.

I don't think there is any OHSA requirement here to have closed cabs, but they do monitor dust levels in quarries, so by having closed cabs, it keeps the operator from inhaling dust. I doubt that there would be any new machines, apart from very small machines, sold without cabs, in Australia today.

On a lighter note, when pushing out trees and stumps, the space in front of the machine suddenly turns black from an exploding swarm of bees, one is very appreciative of a sealed up air conditioned cab.

RnR.

I was doing some brushpile moving work at night with the cab door open and got into a nest of Yellowjackets (ground wasps) and they had filled the cab in the dark before i knew it stung me in the eye etc......so they work good IF they are closed up :eek:

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
That is also a good idea Hendrik, the only problem we have is that we have clearance problems now, especially under trees and a false roof would make it that much higher again.

RnR.

Perhaps some Dynamat (or similar product) installed on the inside of the cab might help you out? It's basically some sort of a dense celulose rubber type product with a foil layer on one side to reflect heat and noise. Dynamat is a brand name and is expensive, but they have a nice website :)

http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_introduction.html

wnydirtguy

very interesting to see the different views. I do wish they came with factory tint. would be nice. Dozerboy thanks for the tips. never thought of a simple towel to get out of the sun.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
You are right, Dozerboy, if we ever have to replace glass, we use tinted glass. I have never been a great fan of stick on tints, some of the old ones went all crappy after a while, but I guess the newer ones are much better.

New stick on tint is way better there are brands you can get here in the states with a lifetime warranty. A nice thing about tint to is if you bust out a window it doesn't go all over.

Who the heck spends 20-30 mins cleaning windows every day? First I would fire the guy that is using so much grease that it falling out on to the windows next would be the window cleaner. Although I bet it does take me 20-30 mins if I do them inside and out on something with a lot of glass that is semi hard to get to like a AG tractor.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I used to absolutely hate enclosed cabs until they started putting tilt mechanisms in them. When you have to do a transmission they could add 6 or 8 hours to R&R times.

The other big issue was the wiring harnesses getting cut up inside the channels. You had to drag the whole harness out and could never get all the ends back in the same place.

Now days when asked by customers what I recommend I ask who is running the machine. If it is a lot of different hired help I tell them get the open units. Lots of different people leave lots of different trash that draws rodents and snakes. If only one operator, get the Cadillac. The other issue is the first time I see someone spitting chew all over the inside of the cab, I generally tell the owner and leave the job until it's cleaned up.

shooterm

Occupation
Operator
I find I like open cabs on D6 down for grading and trimming. Even in the winter just turning the blades changing your floor plate to a grate and putting a tarp around the platform height turns it reasonable. Honestly in MN we just dont running dozers that much when the ground freezes. Most of my enclosed cab experience on larger dozers has been with old TD25 where I hated it and D7g 79 model where I liked it in the sand. The new D9 I ran was like was in a different world and honestly took some time to get used to.

struckzb

1st post! Just trying to be able to start my own topic since I plan on buying a TD8E in the next couple weeks and will have questions...

But on my input about open cabs:

I have operated a 450G with an open cab and a Hitachi EX-60 that my dad owned. I liked the visibility with the 450, but there is nothing like having a heater/AC/Radio/CB all right there, and to stay dry. Also in the summer it was nice to not have dust in your face all the time since you're so close to the work on the little hoe. I guess it was quieter but the little Nissan engine was pretty quiet anyway. Oh, and myself and my dad both bent the door. Hitachi wanted something like 1500.00 for a new stripped, primed door. So my dad just straightened it, probably the better route.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
for dozers, i want an open cab. better visibility is very important to me. the heat doesn't bother me all that much, heck, it makes that first cold one at the end of the day taste that much better. as for cold, a turned fan and a tarp can keep you pretty toasty.
i hate running a hoe or track loader through glass. too much glare. and, i find air conditioning usually won't keep up.