• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Twin Turbo 855

56wrench

If i remember correctly they were known as a twin turbo 475. My cousin had one in a western star. A little more grunt than a 400

kshansen

I kind of recall hearing about them but never saw one in person.

Wonder what the application for this one was as it does not have an air compressor so probably not a truck. Maybe a genset or some kind of pump?

mekanik

That engine does not have the MVT or mechanical variable timing system that was on the Cummins 475.
The MVT was an electrically controlled air cylinder that rotated the cam follower shafts to operate
eccentrics inside the injector cam followers to advance and retard the timing.Until Cummins came
out with the NTC444 the NTC475 was the worst engine that Cummins ever built.

Greatwestcam

I remember one of the local log haulers put one in a HDX, the driver was hoping for good things from the engine and was totally pissed of with it in a short time. said there was no bottom end torque, was hard to lift off with a load, and that the old ntc 400 would out pull it.

Reactions: JPV

Truck Shop

Should posted under Trucks.

That is a oddball stationary-Cummins built a few very few.
The MVT 475 twin turbo like Mekanik says was one of Cummins biggest piles, I worked on a lot.
Keeping the MVT operating smoothly was a issue, real problem was the amount of BOOST. Those
engines would hit 50 lbs in nothing flat. It was a head bolt breaking, block distorting piece of crap.
Keeping head gaskets in one was a challenge-that wasn't going to materialize. The 855 Block was
not designed for that kind of pressure. Those were built in between BCI and BCII series. Main and
rod bearings took a beating. So when someone starts talking about how glorious the 475's were
they never owned one or worked on one. Most all had the MVT removed and turned down to single
turbo, at least the smart ones did. One of Cummins biggest disasters.

Old Doug

If i remember correctly they were known as a twin turbo 475. My cousin had one in a western star. A little more grunt than a 400
That 75 extra would make be great .
Hard to get a good view of it with the "camera" moving around so much but think it might have been bolted to the block/cribbing.
We started a 400 setting the pan and a block i wanted to chain it to the forklift mast but the boss thought it would take to much time. It didnt move any i was surprised and it was wide open at first.

Pops52

The video of the 475 TT reminded me of this engine I acquired several years and then sold to a guy in Oregon. Hope the video works. 1964 NHRS 320 with oil cooled pistons. Originally came with a blower but at some time someone put a T-50 on it.
CUMMINS NHRS320 - YouTube

Truck Shop

What is this thing? No idea they made one back in the old days.

And to further elaborate-the whole idea of Cummins crazy MVT twin turbo mess was to fulfill California's
1980 CARB compliant program. So I laugh when people think the stuff we have today is a problem.
Cummins built that 475 pile to meet emissions 44 years ago, long before most members on here were born.
The STC system was born from the MTV. Cummins built so many oddball engines, all one has to do is look
up how many CPL's for a given year will tell you that. Cummins took their underwear off threw at the wall
and it didn't stick it slid straight down with this design. Below is a data tag from a typical Cummins oddball,
note the build date, 1995. A BCIII only used in a few stationary units.

004 (2).JPG 003 (2).JPG