• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

old pony start D6

dieseldave

A local test well drilling company needed to get a rig on site, so I used my old D6 to make a road through the woods and to clear a spot for them to work.

Attachments

• D6 at EHS site 20001.JPG
    D6 at EHS site 20001.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 2,545
  • D6 at EHS site  210001.JPG
    D6 at EHS site 210001.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 2,460

nedly05

Nice looking work there dieseldave, what did you do with all of the timber, and stumps and what not?

dieseldave

I'm just pushing everything out of the way. There's not a lot there, really- it's pretty open woods, and getting a 12 foot path through didn't require taking down lots of trees. I'll go back and cut the oak for firewood when I have time. No pine big or straight enough to send to a mill. The whole site will be cleared eventually, and I'm sure all the trees in the pics will go through the chipper, and the stumps into the grinder.

Pic is of the biggest oak I took down, maybe 18" or so, not very big.

Attachments

• D6 at EHS site 130001.JPG
    D6 at EHS site 130001.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 2,318

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Nice! Looks like an old 9U series D6. Do you remember who the previous owner was?

dieseldave

It's a 9U series, '57 or so. I got it from somebody who had picked it up at an auction, so I don't know where it came from. Whoever had it painted their machines blue:eek:

GinNB

Nice old Cat. I bet it's still got a lot of work left in it. I wish mine had a hydraulic blade. I've got a '49 (might be '48) D7 cable dozer. It works fine, but rethreading that cable can be a pain if it comes off the pulley. The blade's heavy, but downpressure would be very nice at times.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums GinNB! :drinkup

GinNB

Thx Countryboy. That looks more like Jill Deere in your .sig though. Wonder if you can get that design in an equipment badge? I've got an old JD 690B that needs a bit of style. :)

dieseldave

I have a couple of old pony 7's, too. This one's a 7M, WWII model, basically same as a 3T. LeT CC unit on the back. Good old machine. :thumbsup

Attachments

• D7 at Camco 70001.JPG
    D7 at Camco 70001.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,013
  • D7 at Camco 60001.JPG
    D7 at Camco 60001.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,141
  • D7 at Camco 30001.JPG
    D7 at Camco 30001.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 2,172

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I caught the C5 flying over in the upper right corner, lol! I figured that last tree was going to give you a little trouble, it was pretty big. Nice job.

Any chance you could film the start up of the machine? I've only ever seen the pony motor machines either parked or working, never saw the start up procedure.

Buddy

Occupation
Equipment mechanic (Retired)
D7

Dieseldave
That is a nice looking D7 you have their ! I would like to find one in reasonable condition in my neck of the woods. Thin I would have a excuse to bring that old scraper I been keeping my eye on home !:D

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Hey Dave...
You've got quite a few nice old Cats.
Watching your videos sure brings back some good memories of when I was a kid running a 2U.
Those were good times....damn good times...
Its good to see someone still using these machines.
Some way, some how, I'll make it out to your end of town one day.
If you've got an empty seat, I'll be more than happy to fill it for the day...
Free of charge...
:cool:

dieseldave

Buddy, With the exception of the engine (rebuilt in '53 by the Army according to the tag) that ol' 7 is pretty wore out. Trans bearings are worn to the point that it tears out the clutch links on a regular basis, and the rest of the machine is not far behind. Not worth fixing, not yet anyway. Maybe when I'm old and senile... come to think of it, that's already started, so maybe I should get to work on it. But, ahead of it on the list is a D7 17A with a rod knock, a D8 14A that needs TLC, and an HD15 in need of a fresh 671, and an HD9G that needs it's 471 freshened, too. If I were looking for an old D7 I'd try to find a nice D7D, the turbocharged version of the 17A. Basically the same as my old 7 with 50 more hp and an oil clutch- a real nice machine.

dieseldave

Hey Dave...
You've got quite a few nice old Cats.
Watching your videos sure brings back some good memories of when I was a kid running a 2U.
Those were good times....damn good times...
Its good to see someone still using these machines.
Some way, some how, I'll make it out to your end of town one day.
If you've got an empty seat, I'll be more than happy to fill it for the day...
Free of charge...
:cool:

You're welcome anytime:drinkup Besides the D6,D7, and D9 I've got a 983 here, an HD9G track loader, a D2, and other assorted junk. If timed right, I might be able to get you on one of our corps of engineers jobs building dike for the disposal areas- lots of fun, and definitley different if you've never done it before. You'd get paid for that, too. LOL

Attachments

• 983 220001.JPG
    983 220001.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 983
  • D2 at acton station 10001.JPG
    D2 at acton station 10001.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 948

dieseldave

As stated above, you're always welcome at my place (forgot to mention, I'm 30 minutes away from Atlantic City, so we could head over at night and lose anything we might have made during the day:pointhead) but if it's a 2U you're after I've got a friend who has a Hi Output in Bakersfield. He just got it a couple of months ago, and is doing some R&R on it right now, but he's not the sort to let the grass grow beneath him and it should be operational soon. He's got a neat little D4 7U with a 6 way blade on it as well. I don't think he's ever run a big dozer, I'm sure he'd welcome someone with some old D8 experience :drinkup

Attachments

• mike's hi output D8 10001.JPG
    mike's hi output D8 10001.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 871
  • mike's hi output D8 20001.JPG
    mike's hi output D8 20001.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 895
  • mike's hi output D8 30001.JPG
    mike's hi output D8 30001.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,042

Case 580e

Occupation