• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Euclid 1LLD

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Believe it or not, I use to drive this truck. It was one of two that use to be at Mohave generating station, Laughlin, Nevada. It closed in 2006, one had twin Detroit's the other twin Cummins. CTI was the parent company of flyash haulers Inc. Hauled flyash and bottom ash 80 tons at a time. Old days 1976 for me. What a beast.

Well the one in the picture at the top of this thread does have the twin Cummins engines. Must be from before the days of 1710's? Or was it so they could use two smaller transmissions? I'd be guessing the Detroit powered truck was running a pair of 110's.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Looks like it has the typical "auto" transmission used in most Euclids of that era. I am thinking a 5 or 6 speed, but not sure from the interior photo. Maybe mid 50's vintage?

kshansen

Occupation
That sure is a complected truck! What with the twin engines and twin Allison transmissions! Guess you had to build a truck with what was available at the time.

I sure would hate to be the guy who had to work on those engines. If they were like any "normal" 855 Cummins with the fuel pump mounted to the left side of the engine how could you get to the pump on the right engine?

Bluox

That sure is a complected truck! What with the twin engines and twin Allison transmissions! Guess you had to build a truck with what was available at the time.

I sure would hate to be the guy who had to work on those engines. If they were like any "normal" 855 Cummins with the fuel pump mounted to the left side of the engine how could you get to the pump on the righ

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Uh, Guys.… I'm seeing 3406A Cats in the pics above.
Looks like Bluox hit it at the same time.;)

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Looks like it has the typical "auto" transmission used in most Euclids of that era. I am thinking a 5 or 6 speed, but not sure from the interior photo. Maybe mid 50's vintage?

Shift valve on the trans looks like a 4speed forward- 2speed reverse, 5840-5940 Allison. For some reason Reverse 2 is blocked in the shift quadrant.

kshansen

Occupation
Uh, Guys.… I'm seeing 3406A Cats in the pics above.
Looks like Bluox hit it at the same time.;)
Now that you mention it, I guess I was going by mohaveb's comment and what looked like Cummins beige paint that and the air compressor in about the right location for an 855 Cummins. Wonder if by chance it was a repower job? Not sure when 3406A Cats came out but the rest of truck just looks too old for those to be original.

Have to wonder why the choice of major components. Was this truck designed and built before say the 1710 Cummins and the Allison DP8000 transmission existed. If so then I'm sure the 3406A Cat engines were not original!

Last edited:

d9gdon

I see the 3406's too but Cummins or of course Detroit would've been factory.Maybe 6-110's or 335 Cummins paired up...

Kirby8

I hereby nominate this as the coolest truck in the known history of the world.
Anyone want to second that motion?

When I came across it a 10 years ago I was dumbfounded and became more so as I looked closer. TWO ENGINES!! The driveshaft for the rear axle goes through the front axle??? It is amazing. Last time I was there my wife and sister were with me and after taking some photos I looked over at them and they were laughing at me. Women, sheeshh. They just have no idea. So what if I was acting like a 10 year old.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Have to wonder why the choice of major components. Was this truck designed and built before say the 1710 Cummins and the Allison DP8000 transmission existed. If so then I'm sure the 3406A Cat engines were not original!

That's exactly the reason for the choice of components, especially a suitable single power shift transmission. Got a little quick research in today and if those 5640 transmissions (My bad... I thought 5860's) are original, that truck was built between 1957 and 1964. May have had either 6-110 or 335 small bore engines.