• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old Euclid 1LLD

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry

Well looks like I need to go out in the barn and dig around. i believe I have some old Euclid sales brochures, but they may be from the 1960's so probably too new to show this twin engine model.

Have to wait till late morning after wife is gone, with hand in splint from surgery she doesn't like me doing too much these days outside!

The only twin engine set up I even got close was a genset the company had at a small quarry near here years ago. That had a mirror image pair of 6-71 Detroits coupled together to run one generator. They also had some small, maybe 15 to 20 ton Euclids they used there that summer. Not sure how old they were but do know at least one of them was old enough that the Cummins engine did NOT have a PT pump! It had the old Disc fuel system.

Truck Shop

You have to click on the {see more} button in that link, it's powered by tan engines.

Cody danos

Evening Fellas , here’s some specs on the 1lld

Built from 1951-1953
Originally powered by a pair of Cummins NHRS-600 for a combined 600hp

Trans was a pair of Allison 3 speeds

Empty weight was 103,3000lbs

In all there were 46 built
Western would own 34 of those units

In 1957 it was replaced with the 3lld(r50). That one came with the twin 6-110 and twin 4 sped Allisons. In all there were 7 of these made.

Cody danos

I'll have to dig in the library now, IIRC was equipped with Cummins engines originally, but later had the 12V's.

The big western truck was originally built with Cummins NHRS-600. The engines were later swapped to Nrto-6-bi. Then in 1960 it had two 12v71s put in.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Hope this thread pulls Scrub Puller out of the Scrub.

kshansen

Occupation
Kind of surprises me that they needed all that complication of twin engines for only a 50 to truck. But then I guess Detroit and Cummins had not got the horse power up on their engines yet.

When I started the quarry was running R-35 Euclids with non-turbo 12V-71's and the larger quarry a few miles away was running R-50's with non-turbo 16V-71's. Then Mack started building the off-road trucks and that other quarry was running M-65's with the twin turbo 16V-71's.

They did have a problem one day with one of the M-65's. Seems the working pit was on the top of hill across the main road from the crushing plant. Loaded trucks ran down a steep hill and had to make a 90º left turn at the bottom then cross the road. Good thing the DP8000 transmissions had good strong hydraulic retarders! Bad thing is a hydraulic retarder does not work for sh!t if you blow one of the -40 hoses going to the trans-cooler!

That happened right as the truck left the loading face. Loader operator say the oil spraying out but could not get drivers attention on radio and the Mack could out run the Hough H-400 loader.

To make matter worse, if that even seems possible, there were a few guys working in a drainage ditch for the road construction at the bottom of the hill right where the truck needed to make the hard left turn.

So now you have about 130 to 140 tons of truck and stone heading down a steep hill with no retarder and even under the best of circumstances brakes that were barely adequate. Well the men working in the ditch had been around these trucks enough to know the sound of that truck was not at all right and they scattered like crazy. Next good thing is they had built up a nice tall berm along that ditch at the bottom of the hill.

What happened next was violent but somewhat of a miracle. When truck hit the berm it literately knocked the front axle out of the truck which in turn dropped the front bumper down into the berm. Weight of truck and stone kept the forward motion up and truck did a forward flip and landed upside down on top of the stone that had been in the dump body!

Per company policy driver had actually been wearing his seat belt and despite some bumps and bruises walked way from the accident, heart probably took a day or two to get back to normal!

Repairs on truck would fill up another thread! And that would be just what I can recall these many years latter!

kshansen

Occupation
OK, a little more On Topic, sorry for going off the deep end with upside down Mack story!

Found the old binder with some Euclid info in it and below is the page on the LLD models.
LLD Models02.jpg

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The goats I fought with at the Mississippi lime quarries were 5LLDs , Wore to hell and back. Only had TWO of those that I ever saw and were always broken. The more common were R15s with 110s single axle single engine.

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
The goats I fought with at the Mississippi lime quarries were 5LLDs , Wore to hell and back. Only had TWO of those that I ever saw and were always broken. The more common were R15s with 110s single axle single engine.
I can imagine those twin power trucks were a nightmare when stuff started wearing out, shift linkage, throttle linkage, etc. trying to synchronize 2 engines tuned by different mechanics would be a pita. Knew a guy with a twin powered Euclid crawler that gave up on it because of too many partial overhauls. He didn't really realize both sides should be done together.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Twin engines common throttle, Allisons but worked off internal speed govern against engine speed so one got slack the pull got slacked the other engine and driver took all the work, not good and I avoided those beasts as much as possible. R15s were fun as when the brakes went out the operators would skid them down the haul road cut wall to slow them, would destroy the right side mirror mount, just abuse to every moving part of them. 6/110 would hold back NADA!!!

Tugger2

Did they make a smaller model than the R 15 ? I drove one that was single axle with a 6 71 and a 5 speed doing logging road construction when i was 16. I know about no brakes backing down a hill to the spread cat with ballast for a culvert i let it fall out of reverse on a little flat and away i went backwards. Luckily it wasnt far to the cat , the operator knew what was up and stepped back from flagging me and i plowed into the arch on the back of a D7 ,no harm done . A bit of dirt thru the back screen of the cat and me darn near having heart failure. Another unforgetable lesson at the school of hard knocks. Who would ever let a 16 yo. kid drive stuff like that these days!

kshansen

Occupation
Did they make a smaller model than the R 15 ? I drove one that was single axle with a 6 71 and a 5 speed doing logging road construction when i was 16.

Well going by the records I have if it was a 6-71 then it should have been a R-15. There were R-10, R-12 and R-13 but those all would have been running 4-71's The R-10 is shown to have a 10 spd Fuller and the others are 5 spd Fuller. The R-12 was built from 1963 to 1966.

Tugger2

Thanks kshansen . I ran across another one similar a few years ago,but someone had put a tandem rear end under it. That would be a great use for those planetary s ive got at least you would have brakes.