• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old conventionals at work

ryanmueller

Out 670 tc was going down some logging roads and the driver was going too fast and came to a steep hill and went to downshift and got stuck in neutral. The brakes overheated and he lost control. Drove it into a bank and took both front axles out of it

ichudov

OK, how difficult is it to prep for this test? Is it much harder than, say, getting a CDL? I have a crane and use it but never passed the nccco...

ryanmueller

OK, how difficult is it to prep for this test? Is it much harder than, say, getting a CDL? I have a crane and use it but never passed the nccco...
I did a 4 day class to learn everything then you take a 90 question core exam then 26 question specialty exams. So I took 4 tests. Hydro swing cab, lattice boom truck and lattice boom crawler. They you have to take a practical test where you go through a course with different tasks

Tugger2

Congratulations! Must be a good feeling to get that behind you.
Both bridges we took out will be reused. I hope we are putting them back in.

crane operator

Congrats, that little piece of paper is more and more important. My insurance company wants all my operators to be certified. Even though it isn't required yet.

We had preparation booklets, then had a one day class with a bunch of practice tests, before taking the actual exam.

Its kind of like a CDL test, its going to depend on how much you know about cranes. You'll have to know how to calculate out a net and gross load and capacity with a given load chart. You better study up on the manbasket, and power line rules, and know the related ASME and OSHA numbers for them.

If you spend a couple days studying the ASME and OSHA regs, you should do fine on a written test. The practical isn't too hard if you've been running crane for a while.

Tugger2

Whats the cost for you guys to do the test. Up here it was 800.00 and another 800.00 for retesting if you didnt pass the written or the practical.

crane operator

The written portion of the test is like $300-400 if I remember right, and then it depends on how many specialties you need. There's your core test, then big and small hydro, lattice truck, crawler, tower, and overhead/gantry.

The practical all depends on who is giving the test, and who's crane is being used. A buddy was taking his down in texas and I think it was like $400 per specialty through them.

If you take a multi day course, I wouldn't be surprised if it was $2-3,000.

Tugger2

Looks good. A nice collection of implements to. A power tag line would really be nice for grapple work ,i find the spring tag very limiting on mine .

ryanmueller

Looks good. A nice collection of implements to. A power tag line would really be nice for grapple work ,i find the spring tag very limiting on mine .
I used the dipper trip as a tagline and it worked for one cast until I realized the cable was too short and pulled out of the drum