• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old conventionals at work

ryanmueller

Got the 430 all put back together last month. I've been practicing for my nccco that I'm taking next week. I'm taking my test on this crane and a grove at880 and the friction crane is way easier to run than the hydro. The grove is just really jerky and the p&h is probably the smoothest crane ive ever been around IMG_3899.JPG IMG_3925.JPG
Hows the 325 coming Ryan ?

Tugger2

Got the 430 all put back together last month. I've been practicing for my nccco that I'm taking next week. I'm taking my test on this crane and a grove at880 and the friction crane is way easier to run than the hydro. The grove is just really jerky and the p&h is probably the smoothest crane ive ever been around View attachment 186364 View attachment 186365

crane operator

After taking the practical NCCCO with another guy:

Him: "Did you knock any tennis balls off?"

Me: "No- but I was close on time."

Him: "You're lucky- it looked like Wimbledon out there when I got done- there was tennis balls everywhere."

And he still passed.

Good luck.

Tugger2

Do they require a minimum boom length for doing the test? We are required a minimum of 100' on any crane, no matter what size here in BC.

crane operator

Boom length is determined by crane size and type, bigger the crane, the more boom you have out. NCCCO gives out the specs based on the crane.

ryanmueller

Under 50 ton 80' +- 10'. Over 50 ton 120' +- 10'. Hydro cranes is I think 75% max length . We only have 70' for the 430 so that's what she's got in her. I've gotten my times down to under 40 seconds without hitting anything. 31 seconds and hit one ball but I have 4 minutes each way so I need to slow down IMG_3999.JPG

crane operator

I had no problem with time when I did my large hydro- we had a large grove rt, and it was fine.

I struggled for time with the small hydro. We had a ancient neck breaker that refused to do more than one function at a time, without severe protest. Besides that, you need a extra arm.

The instructor started his countdown when I was about 1/2 way back through the course, I dumped the old detroit throttle to the stops and just nailed boom down and hoped the winch would keep up. I didn't knock anything over, but it was close on time.

ryanmueller

You have an extra minute with the friction crane but I can go through the course twice as fast with the friction crane vs the grove at880

Tugger2

P9212172.JPG Yes ,its your typical logging road out here.Id sure like a jake on the 671 in the truck for some of these places. They are deactivating this mainline ,so both bridges and the culverts must be removed. Ive been loading out panels and stripping the bracing on this bridge. The girders are a bit big for the 40 ton , 100 ' long by 7 ' deep . They have a 250 ton hydro coming in for that lift.

Last edited:

Tugger2

Your standards for boom length seem much much more practical than ours . Ours is 100' for any size crane. Its a bit of a handycap for us small crane guys. We only test on friction lattice ,but we can run hydraulic or friction of any size after that . Makes you wonder as i dont consider myself qualified to run any hydro except pickers and small RT s .

crane operator

I don't have a jake on my 671, I asked my local expert about adding one on. He said it wouldn't really be worth the effort, he said they just don't help that much. But I was thinking anything is better than nothing. I'm going to end up repowering mine, and then I'll have jakes.

I have a jake on my 6v92, and it does help, but if you really get to going, it kind of loses its effect. If your geared all down slow like you don't have a jake, then it really saves on the brakes.

I don't think you would want to get onto them too hard on those gravel logging roads, just slide the tandems?

The 6v92 is nothing like the jake in my 60 series. Those really grab on.

ryanmueller

I got the cad drawing for the grove at880 and I run 65' of boom for the test. It has 96' of boom

Tugger2

Im pretty sure with the weight of that crane ,just under 90,000 lbs. if i start sliding im in deep trouble . they have good traction and low gearing with the 5+ 4 . Its got good solid lugs for towing to .

Tugger2

Makes good sense to set the boom length like that. I know what your saying about the swing on the P&H .they are all very smooth. I wish my American was as smooth.