• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old conventionals at work

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Looks like your man is stretched out nice and long by the off track. Slows the Harley riders down..

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Looks like your man is stretched out nice and long by the off track. Slows the Harley riders down..

No need to worry about slowing the Harley riders down. I have owned Harleys my whole life and other makes of (fast) bikes at the same time. Any one that thinks Harleys are fast never rode a fast bike. But we look good.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor

ryanmueller

I did it all with the crane. I does not have a load cell
Do you have a load cell in that machine, if so what does it take to break a stump loose, or did a dozer break them loose and your just moving them. Either way an impressive task for a crane.

Raildudes dad

Nice looking row of machines:) Things slow? It's fun to play around with a cable crane. Note I said play :)
I work for the local county highway department. We used to replace short span bridges (10-20 feet) with culverts and some culvert replacements with a small crawler Linkbelt years ago. Used the clam-bucket and a headache ball for removal. The operator kept the boom short so it didn't need to be disassembled to move it (bolted boom). I can remember the day (1990) we stepped way out of the box and rented a CAT hydraulic excavator. lol The operator thought he died and went to heaven. The Linkbelt is long gone and we now have 2 hydraulic excavators, 3 mini's, and 4 skids. Things have sure changed during my career - I start year 47 30 days from to day:)

ryanmueller

Nice looking row of machines:) Things slow? It's fun to play around with a cable crane. Note I said play :)
I work for the local county highway department. We used to replace short span bridges (10-20 feet) with culverts and some culvert replacements with a small crawler Linkbelt years ago. Used the clam-bucket and a headache ball for removal. The operator kept the boom short so it didn't need to be disassembled to move it (bolted boom). I can remember the day (1990) we stepped way out of the box and rented a CAT hydraulic excavator. lol The operator thought he died and went to heaven. The Linkbelt is long gone and we now have 2 hydraulic excavators, 3 mini's, and 4 skids. Things have sure changed during my career - I start year 47 30 days from to day:)
We got two 100 ton kobelco crawlers on jobs right now

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals

Holy Moly, Raildudes dad, I thought 44 years and 7 months working on a real job was plenty as in my case. 47 years and still working? I read a statistic that the average construction worker only draws 16 months of pension before croaking. Are you trying to bring that number down all by yourself? :eek::eek:

Raildudes dad

3 years ago with 43 years in I was 18th on the overall seniority list, today I'm #3, a driver and operator were hired 3 months before me. I sure hope to have more than 16 months;). The record at our place is 55 years. I would be 75 just like the record holder - I don't think so, part time maybe.

ryanmueller

I was given two pictures taken in 1953 of the 1947 Lima 34. The guy that operated it back then is who gave them to me. I'm hoping to get the shovel put back on it but I don't have the sprocket lagging that goes on the drum for crowd IMG_3520.JPG IMG_3522.JPG IMG_3523.JPG IMG_3542.JPG

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
3 years ago with 43 years in I was 18th on the overall seniority list, today I'm #3, a driver and operator were hired 3 months before me. I sure hope to have more than 16 months;). The record at our place is 55 years. I would be 75 just like the record holder - I don't think so, part time maybe.

I guess I'm a slacker in this group. Started work in June of 1968 and retired from the same piece of land in April of 2015. So that sounds like just short of 47 years, but the catch is the first two seasons I was listed as "Summer Help" which did not count towards my pension so I actuall was only "Officially" working there for two months short of 45 years.

crane operator

Are you needing pictures of the lagging to build the parts? or are you looking for one to buy? There's a little crawler with digger on display here in town that I moved a few years ago, I could go take some pictures of how its set up if you needed me too. Its a bay city, but I'm sure the principles are the same.

These pictures are from when I moved it.

IMG_20160930_093145847.jpg IMG952016093095090709396.jpg

ryanmueller

I would like to buy originals but I'm sure I'll be making. Yes pictures would help me get an idea of what it looks like

crane operator

I'll try to get by there sometime this week and get some pictures. I think everything was pretty well there inside when we moved it.

It's my apocalypse excavator. After the emp or solar flares destroy everything electronic, I'm going to go fire that thing up and move dirt. When we moved it- I really thought that in a couple days you could have it running and digging dirt, its a pretty simple old rig.

crane operator

Looks like the portion on the drum is a split clamp on gear. Two half pieces with the gear welded to them, so you can clamp and unclamp as needed.

Pay no attention to the cable flopped over and wound around in the chain, some guy (I have no idea who) shoved it in there when they moved it, just to get it out of the way.

20180628_154935.jpg 20180628_154942.jpg 20180628_154945.jpg 20180628_154951.jpg