1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Old conventionals at work

Discussion in 'Cranes' started by Tugger2, Mar 24, 2018.

1. terex herder

terex herder Senior Member

Heavy timber has its own type of fire rating. Heavy timber is a minimum of 8" x 8". The outside wood chars and protects the interior of the beam. In the old construction where cast iron was used for connections, in a fire the cast iron will fail before the timber.

None of the wood used for the roof looks to be large enough to be classed as heavy timber.

Nige and DMiller like this.
  2. HATCHEQUIP

HATCHEQUIP Senior Member

Ahhh pi$$ on the beams and the wood look at that sexy yellow and black girl all decked out with her jib and her skirt blowin in the wind . She's lookin fine Ryan

DB2 and DMiller like this.
  3. colson04

colson04 Senior Member

Those beams might survive a fire, but the TGI purlins they're hanging between them go up like a popcorn fart. I've seen them burn and they went hot and fast in a fire.

Nice crane work Ryan, I love seeing the old girl out working.

Truck Shop and DMiller like this.
  4. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I recall in my mis-spent youth demolishing a building that had been the workshops for a coal mine in the town I grew up in. Somewhere about 300’ long x 60’ wide. All the equipment in the shop was powered by a single shaft running along the roof trusses. IIRC the trusses were 18”x12” pitch pine with cast-iron caps in the corners and on the hip of the roof that were all held together with wrought-iron rods. The building dated from the late 1870’s when the colliery was first opened. It’s centre left on the sepia-toned photo in the link below.
    https://www.oldminer.co.uk/southgate.html

DB2, dirty4fun, DMiller and 1 other person like this.
  5. dirty4fun

dirty4fun Senior Member

Nige, had to be some very hard working men back then to dig down over a 1000', in tough conditions!

DMiller and Nige like this.
  6. Nige

Nige Senior Member

You're not wrong. I investigated my family tree a few years ago and back somewhere in the 1880's a relative of mine had been wed & widowed twice by the age of 30. Both her late husbands were listed as miners at the time of the wedding. She was left to bring up four children as a single mother.

7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Looking more closely it was actually my great-grandmother on my mother's side. Coal mining ran in that side of the family right down to my mother's brother and his son. Both did over 40 years underground and survived to tell the tale.

upload_2021-3-11_18-58-30.png

8. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I had to find these photos. The lowboy & shovel parked right in front of said building. Probably late 1950s or early 1960s.

upload_2021-3-11_19-9-12.png
    upload_2021-3-11_19-11-0.png

Apologies for hijacking Ryan's thread........... :oops::oops:

Truck Shop, Buddy, Jonas302 and 9 others like this.
  9. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Its ok it was worth it for the picture of that shovel. Nice to see them when they were a respected piece of iron.

HATCHEQUIP and DMiller like this.
  10. kenh

kenh Senior Member

Steam power was a great leap forward as a power source.
    We need to start a movement to outlaw Diesel/Electric locomotives.
    Only Steam allowed. 4-6-6-4 or larger allowed

HATCHEQUIP, DMiller and dirty4fun like this.
  11. Nige

Nige Senior Member

We had three of them as I recall, and had face shovel and crane equipment for all of them. Here's the same machine building prefabricated housing just after WWII, probably early 50's. This was housing built to replace what the Luftwaffe flattened during the war. One of my cousin's lived in a similar housing development, known locally as "Concrete Canyon".

upload_2021-3-12_16-10-38.png upload_2021-3-12_16-11-10.png

Buddy, doublewide, Old Doug and 5 others like this.
  12. Nige

Nige Senior Member

This is where the shovel in post #428 was heading. In fact that's probably it in the centre of the photo.

upload_2021-3-12_16-13-59.png

Buddy, Jonas302, doublewide and 8 others like this.
  13. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

A busy month with the Lima P3032333.JPG P3042335.JPG P3092343.JPG P3102351.JPG

14. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

15. HATCHEQUIP

HATCHEQUIP Senior Member

Looks like the weather is cooperating

DMiller likes this.
  16. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Almost Retired
    Cannot remember seeing Vacuum Breakers on Spuds before, someone got ingenious. Site demo or moving it?

17. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member

Weather was great ,once we started. Moved the crane in on the weekend. Went back early Mon am to rig up,it was snowing slush.Nothing like crawling around the machine jacking the tracks out with slush running down the back of your neck.The sun came out around mid day and stayed until Sunday am when i had to jack the tracks back in ,guess what more slush /snow. Job went well, Lima is back in the yard for a breather and a few repairs .
    As to the vaccum breakers ,we arent that ingeneous, just what came with the former fuel barge we had rented. It was another site demo , more industrial infrastructure taken from our fading forest industry.
    The log booms in the background are destined for export and now i hear theres plywood sold here thats stamped made in china. Ill cut my 2X4 s with a friggin broad axe before i buy one from overseas

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    dirty4fun, colson04, Hank R and 4 others like this.
  18. ryanmueller

ryanmueller Well-Known Member

19. ryanmueller

ryanmueller Well-Known Member

B1E7B068-550A-4C82-AA37-1B229621E55D.jpeg CFE6B1B0-0D2A-43E4-A213-E65B158DF693.jpeg Doing a job with the bantam

Truck Shop, Buddy, 72hayes and 12 others like this.
  20. Tugger2

Tugger2 Senior Member