• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Old conventionals at work

Tugger2

Looks interesting.We did the exact same thing years ago with an 044 Madill grapple yarder ,brand new hadnt pulled a log yet. The bucket was rigged with a bridle off the top to a block which ran on the haul back. A scab block as its called in the bush. Once we got the bridle holes in the right place it keep the bucket from rolling around on the way out it worked well i think we were pulling around 400' ,dredging sand to make a booming ground. We also had a mobile tailhold,a TL15 Washington set on what became the outer breakwater. Looks like you can only rig tailholds on your site . Great job your doing .

ryanmueller

Looks interesting.We did the exact same thing years ago with an 044 Madill grapple yarder ,brand new hadnt pulled a log yet. The bucket was rigged with a bridle off the top to a block which ran on the haul back. A scab block as its called in the bush. Once we got the bridle holes in the right place it keep the bucket from rolling around on the way out it worked well i think we were pulling around 400' ,dredging sand to make a booming ground. We also had a mobile tailhold,a TL15 Washington set on what became the outer breakwater. Looks like you can only rig tailholds on your site . Great job your doing .
Yeah I only have a few trees to rig to. It’s a 130’ span im digging. I cant quite cast that far with a 40’ boom

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Going to be handling a Suction head instead of bucket work? Moves more materials quicker. The Silt Screen kind of infers that method.

Tugger2

No we are clamming. I have one more anchor group set off the stern of the barge so im keeping the block reeved in case of any problems with that anchor. Its reeved 3 part so its quick to drop for clamming .

Tugger2

PA292045.JPGThis is the offshore anchor group. we take it out on a gear float under direction of a surveyor .Between the shore anchor and that one we will have a good acurate offset line parallel to our pipe trench . Just have to take the comalong of and zip disc that cross chain off to trip it

skyking1

Great thread and pics, I will need to go through this :)
My first crane gig was in 1980, pilebucking and oiling for a 1960 Lorain 50 ton truck with those banana outriggers. It had an 830 cubic inch gas 6 cylinder for the lower, and weighed 80,000 with the counterweight off. He would put the counterweight in a dump truck up against the tower for a cheap transport.
This is the closest picture to it I could find.
img.axd

skyking1

I posted a picture of a Bucyrus Erie 30B getting picked by a 140 ton derrick over in my "working on the water and land" thread.
I think i got the wrong thread, LOL!

skyking1

How many winches do you have set up to run your anchor lines? Just in and out on the offshore and inshore anchors, or do you have anything else out to the side?

Tugger2

How many winches do you have set up to run your anchor lines? Just in and out on the offshore and inshore anchors, or do you have anything else out to the side?
I have a 2 drum Hayes Lawrence winch running an anchor onshore and one off shore,there are set up to be off set from the trench line so theoretically we are kept on center when sucked down tight. The spud winch is a 3 drum Skagit . The 3rd line was going to be a side anchor ,but we are running in a full depth silt curtain with anchors and furling lines all over the place ,so that canceled the side anchors. I have a good laser set up on the beach so we can shoot the center line of the trench before we spud down. I set a couple of marks on the deck for the sides of the trench. Biggest problem is the silt curtain as we are in 45 ft of water ,one side is always drifting down on us .

skyking1

Yikes, that sounds a little harrowing with the silt curtain. I bet one of those big purse seine tenders would be handy there.
Edit: I see a pretty stout workboat in one of those pics above.