• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

old but free crane need info?

egoman

Occupation
pipeline and heavy industrial pipefitter
Ok guys this is what I come up with.Unit crane and shovel corp Millwaukee Wisc.Model 1020 or1920 cant clearly tell.Serial 56192 Date of man.2/7/56.
Ok here is what I need ,any info on these machines.

Attachments

• unit1.jpg
    unit1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 4,600
  • unit2.jpg
    unit2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 4,678
  • unit3.jpg
    unit3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 4,294

Lashlander

Looks to be about the same as this one. I think it was manufactured in 1940. They still use it everyday during the Salmon season at a Cannery on the Island. I'm not sure what the capacity is but I think its around 15 ton.

Attachments

• Picture 032 (Small).jpg
    Picture 032 (Small).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 3,962
  • Picture 030 (Small).jpg
    Picture 030 (Small).jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 3,977

egoman

Occupation
Thanks LL I was told by the current owner that he thought it was a 9 ton. Do you have acess to this crane and could you post more pics of the interior and operating instruction plates that are under your rtight elbow while sitting in the seat. The one I have here has these plates but they need to have a lot of crud and paint removed,heck take pics of everthing. Once again thanks for your response. ANYONE ELSE ????????????????

Lashlander

Right now I don't have access to this crane. Its around the backside the Island. We go down to work on the dock now and then so will take a bunch more if we do. These are the only other pics I have of it. Sorry.

Attachments

• Picture 028.jpg-1 (Small).jpg
    Picture 028.jpg-1 (Small).jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 3,858
  • Picture 031 (Small).jpg
    Picture 031 (Small).jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 3,848

egoman

Occupation
Dont be sorry this is a really good picture of the boom and it helps me with some questions I had.

Attachments

• unit15.jpg
    unit15.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,816
  • unit12.jpg
    unit12.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3,817
  • unit9.jpg
    unit9.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 3,847

egoman

Occupation
Well would you look at this. Two days ago I seen the first unit crane I had ever seen in my life and now I found myself a boom attached to another.
This one is the same model but its 3 years older.The glass is mostly there as well as several other pieces that I could use.I am probably going to get the clutches and the brake bands off of this one as well as the boom cables and the block.This is either my lucky day or Im getting in deep.

Attachments

• unit21.jpg
    unit21.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3,789
  • unit22.jpg
    unit22.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 3,776
  • unit30.jpg
    unit30.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 3,729

ror76a

You have a 1020 there. They are rated ten tons lifting and 3/4 yard as dragline/shovel/hoe/etc. The left lever is the swing/travel/boom hoist, middle is lower drum, and the right lever (which you apear to be missing, your machine must only have one drum? but it still has brakes for two drums?) would be hoist. The tall lever off to the front right is the swing/travel/boom selector, the small one with the lock to the right of it is the steering lever. The small lever on the right that swivels is the swing lock, make sure you have it disingaged when you put the machine in swing and try to swing it, or you can rip the lock right off the machine. I am suspecting that your machine also has a torque converter because I don't see the master clutch lever, but there is a pedal in it's place (guess you could have a master clutch peadel, but ive never seen that before :beatsme). Does it have the Detroit 3-71 engine or a gas engine? The old Units were a tough, quick, dependable crane, and most of the clutches/brakes are interchangeable, not only on the machine, but between most models.

Landlasher - I would say that the Unit in your pictures is a 5 or 6 Ton (half yard) model 514 or 614 - due to the smooth counterweight.

We just serviced our 1965 Unit 1220 this weekend and got it ready for another season. My grandpa has always had a Unit crane or excavator, or both, or several of both around here since the 50s so I guess I've picked up a little bit about them. If you have any other questions ask away.

Heres a picture of our old girl

Attachments

• IM0009041.jpg
    IM0009041.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 3,730
  • 1220 1a.JPG
    1220 1a.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 3,719
  • 1220 2a.JPG
    1220 2a.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 3,697

egoman

Occupation
You wouldnt happen to have a weight chart available for the1020 model would you??

Lashlander

Landlasher - I would say that the Unit in your pictures is a 5 or 6 Ton (half yard) model 514 or 614 - due to the smooth counterweight.

You may very well be right. I never knew and asked the guy running it. Thats what he thought. It seemed about the size of our Bucyrus Erie 22B so it made sense. Thats the only Unit Crane I'd ever seen. Nice looking unit you have. Thanks for the info.

egoman

Occupation
Ror76a since you actually know what your talking about you need to be the one thats going to tell me how to lower the boom on the parts crane so it doesnt end up looking like a pretzel. I will figure it out at home where I will have lots of room to play but at the salvage yard there is not much room for mistakes.

ror76a

I take it that the parts crane does not run?
You should be able to slowly back the brake off of the boom hoist drum and bring it down nice and smooth. If I have time tonight I will look through my old manuals and see if I can get more specific for you. Maybe even some pictures.

egoman

Occupation
ror76a you are the best . This is the type of info that makes you feel that the world is going to be OK. Its good to know that there are people out there that are willing to lend a hand.Would appreciate any pics and direction you can provide. I actually work with the previous owner and he says that the boom on these cranes lowers really smoothly and slow.Once I get this home then I can learn it in the open spaces of my acreage.

cat d9

Occupation
manager and general FO in general
So have you bought the one with the stick still on it or are you still gonna try put the other one back in operation.

ror76a

PM me with your email and I will send you the files. I am having trouble posting them.

egoman

Occupation
I cant afford the one with the stick and its not as good mechanically as the other one.
You guys are relentless about me ending up with 2 of these arent you??ror76a I am PM ing you.

Ray Welsh

Banned
I cant afford the one with the stick and its not as good mechanically as the other one.
You guys are relentless about me ending up with 2 of these arent you??ror76a I am PM ing you.

I have no experience with your brand of crane/dragline, however all others (many makes) lower the boom at engine speed. A good safety measure from around 50yrs ago......C ya...........Ray

TunnelGuy

Good Old Cranes!

We have load charts and most repair data and pars suppliers for the UNIT cranes. we still use and have over 15 in service for us they work great. if you are needing information on a specific part or other info just let me know.

Also if anyone sees these along the road we also buy them and rebuild them for our operations.

Turbo21835

We have load charts and most repair data and pars suppliers for the UNIT cranes. we still use and have over 15 in service for us they work great. if you are needing information on a specific part or other info just let me know.

Also if anyone sees these along the road we also buy them and rebuild them for our operations.

You wouldnt happen to work for a company out of the Columbus OH area would you?