• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

old but free crane need info?

Turbo21835

I remember seeing you guys all over the place when I worked down there. I used to work for Performance Site Management. You guys primarily use those unit cranes for bore pits and tunnel projects?

ror76a

We have load charts and most repair data and pars suppliers for the UNIT cranes. we still use and have over 15 in service for us they work great. if you are needing information on a specific part or other info just let me know.

Also if anyone sees these along the road we also buy them and rebuild them for our operations.

How about some pictures? What models do you have?

egoman

Occupation
pipeline and heavy industrial pipefitter
Its been a while since I checked back here(been sick) and there has been some action.Just to update you the crane is just waiting for the snow to recede in order to be retrieved. We just got hit with another 4 inches last night.Turbo thanks for jumping in and will be asking more questions as work commences on the project.

TunnelGuy

Well the long and short - Crawlers we have 614, 617, 1020, 1020A, 1220, and 271C. Wagon cranes we have 1525, 357, and 271W ranging in age from 1951 to 1974

OneWelder

Tunnel Guy There is or was last fall a Unit Crane in one of the local yards they do not use it. If your interested in something this far away I can find out about it ( New Hampshire) I am quite sure it needs repairs

TunnelGuy

We have traveled all over to retrieve these cranes from auctions in TX to southern canada. they are hard to find since they stopped manufacturing in 1974. we can still get parts from some stocking suppliers and old dealers that have them stashed in the back corner. we also use a few local machine shops to manufacture some of the componets. I would like know what the model - serial number is we currently are looking for 1020A - 271 - 1220 models ranging from 9 ton to 25 ton. Never hurts to ask if you get a chance.

ror76a

How do you guys like that 271? I have never seen one in person, but they look like a good machine. I would love to find one of those, some jobs the old 1220 is a little light. :D Do you guys run any Unit excavators?

OneWelder

I go to that area every 4 - 6 weeks I will ask on next my trip.
I knew the owner before this one and would GUESS it to be in late 50tys - first guy had four runners(one shovel,backhoe Dragline and A crane) and a lot of parts
This is the Crane

egoman

Occupation
Road restrictions are off and we were ready to move it on saturday.............
except that it rained a record amount on friday.Moved a cat 955 and a 933 but the driver could not get close to the crane. aaaarrrrgh now it has to dry up a little more before it comes home.We tried to start it to move it to drier groundbut it would only run on ether. Pulled off the valve cover and found that the injectors were seized . They pushed down and stayed there and the racks wouldnt move at all. Oh well the free part had to start to catch up eventually didnt it???????????:beatsme

egoman

Occupation
Went and got new injectors at JIMMY DIESEL in winnipeg and he even gave me a complete copy of the instructions. I even decided to read them!!!!!
Everthing went together and it started up and ran. .......pretty good too.We moved it up front to dry ground and called the haulers. My friend calls me today and says that they will move it tonight:):):)
I go out and mow lawn to kill time and when I come to the house My wife tells me they phoned and it will not happen tonight.:(:(:(:(
Yes the crane is free and it runs but its not at home yet and I am feeling a little depressed.:beatsme

egoman

Occupation
Hooray its at home finally!! After waiting for the road restrictions and a pain in the butt moving contractor I got fed up . Called a neighbor and made my own arrangements. He called me and said lets move it now and (gasp) he actually showed up. I gotta tell you that learning to drive it while loading on a lowbed may not be the best time. My buddies wife watched us for about a minute and said it looked too scary.....should have seen it from the seat!

Attachments

• unit1.jpg
    unit1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,244
  • unit2.jpg
    unit2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,238

fritzie

I have a model 614 [looks a lot like yours] drag line with a 35ft. boom and drag bucket with a chrysler 6 cyl. industrial engine . crawler mounted I'v gottenit to run . but my problem is i need to transport it but don't know what the weight is. I'v removed the counter weight , boom and drag line bucket. if any one knows where I might find a opperaters manual it would help alot

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums fritzie! :drinkup

egoman

Occupation
fritzie is yours a unit? Send along some pics and we can help better. I have leads on several booms for mine and just waiting to see which one turns out the best.

TunnelGuy

We have a few of the 614's and we do not permit them for overweight (just overwidth) when we move them, they scale around 30,500# to 33,260#. We move them with the booms on and have no buckets with them. I have an operation and maintenance scanned as a PDF that we have taken from an manual, most all of the cranes models shared the same information in that aspect, back then they kept all of the paperwork simple as the cranes are.

egoman

Occupation
Finally we found a boom . Its not the exact one but the lugs are in the right spot and I have 80 ft of it. I not only found it but I paid for it and I have it at home. Everthing came together in a total of about 5 hrs. Everything you see was loaded on the trailer by hand. I am lucky the egonephew was available to help.I only can use it as a single line for now so I need to find a headache ball or rework it to take the block that I have for a double line.

Attachments

• b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 973
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 976
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 980
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 964
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 970

egoman

Occupation
You will notice that the sheave end has been frozen and cracked. This would be a problem if I had not taken a piece that had two sheave ends bolted back to back.So now i have a spare sheave if I ever want to reengineer for a 4 pt line.Dont really see that happening.All together I have 5 ten ft sections 1 five ft section 8 ft of starter section and 8 ft of sheave section.All told this should put me at 76 ft. I dont need 76 feet but its nice to know that I have it if I need it.I will probably rig out at 41 ft. The main use for the crane is as a usable lawn ornament so I dont want it to look all gangly.As for the frozen piece I have inspected all the other pieces and they are all sound.I honestly dont know how the water got in there in the first place.

Attachments

• b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 972
  • b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 971