• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Oil Sampling - any success stories?

GOINGBROKE

Occupation
Diesel shop owner - truck, farm and heavy equipmen
Below is the results of oil samples that were taken out of a Acert Caterpillar truck engine. Air filters and oil were changed at 500,000 and then sampled 2 times after that with the same results. The hope was to get some warranty coverage even though it ran out at 500,000. Caterpillar said that there had been a problem with broken rings and that was there guess in this case, but no warranty until it has completly failed but you are over 500,000 sorry.

My question and problem with oil samples, other than fuel and coolant contamination is at what point do you tear an engine apart to determine the cause of the bad sample. This sample was taken in sept. and there has been no problem since and have not taken another sample. There has been another 30,000 miles on the truck.

I have also had metal chunks on drain plug and an oil sample that showed good. Send the samples to local Caterpillar dealer, $18.00 can have results in email the next day.

E490-39266-0070 9/19/09 508875 HR
Monitor Compartment SHARP INCREASE IN IRON, ALUMINUM, AND SOOT NOTED. CHECK THE INDUCTION SYSTEM FOR RESTRICTIONS. REPLACE AIR FILTERS. OTHER READINGS APPEAR TO BE NORMAL.
9/23/09 No Unknown
E490-39246-0053 9/2/09 502936 HR
Monitor Compartment HARD CARBON SOOT LEVELS ARE WELL ABOVE THE RECOMMENDED LEVELS. OTHER REDUCTIONS NOTED THROUGHOUT. CHANGE AIR FILTERS. OTHER READINGS APPEAR TO BE NORMAL.
9/3/09 No Unknown
E330-39230-0058 8/13/09 497701 HR
UNKNOWN MILES ON OIL. IRON AND ALUMINUM REMAIN UNACCEPTABLE. VISCOSITY REMAINS ABOVE RECOMMENDED MAXIMUM OF 16.3 CENISTOKES FOR 15/40 OIL. OTHER READINGS
Monitor Compartment APPEAR TO BE NORMAL. A NEW INFRARED METHOD OF ANALYSIS WAS IMPLEMENTED; TREND WILL NEED TO BE RE-ESTABLISHED. RESAMPLE IN 10,000 MILES TO MONITOR.
8/18/09 Yes Yes
E330-38246-0049 8/28/08 9000 HR 9000 HR
IRON, ALUMINUM AND SOOT ARE UNACCEPTABLE. VISCOSITY IS ABOVE RECOMMENDED MAXIMUM OF 16.3 CENISTOKES FOR 15/40 OIL. CHECK THE AIR FILTER FOR CLOGGING. SUGGEST
CHANGE OIL AND FILTER(S) AND RESAMPLE IN 3,000 MILES TO MONITOR.
9/2/08 No Unknown

rigandig

Thats intresting. Will C@t supply other than their own I wonder.
Will have to make a call and ask. :drinkup

Rob, Here you can buy your sample kits from Cat, have them do the analysis, and there is no problem with whether the unit being sampled is Cat or not. The report will show you all the metals, and dirt or other pollutants. Biggest thing is the regular samples and then look for any increase in the contaminants. Any spike will generally be something that at the least needs a closer look to determine what caused it.

They are a cheap maintenance tool that can save lots of money when done regularly.
Just my .02 worth

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Rob, Here you can buy your sample kits from Cat, have them do the analysis, and there is no problem with whether the unit being sampled is Cat or not.

Thanks for pulling this back up, I had completely forgotten to check with C@t for pricing :thumbsup

ON EDIT

No time like the present. Just rang Slough depot, £13:50 each even if I buy 10, but that includes postage paid within UK so thats cheaper than buying from the Lab.

Last edited: