• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Off road diesel set up for my skid steer

Columbo

@clydesdale6 its a 100 gal tank. My excavator holds 65 gallons so it’s about as small as I would want to go. I bought the tank and pump used, I think I have about $500 or $600 into the set up. The ability to filter fuel from the tank was a must for me.

Welder Dave

Not a big deal to put a diamond diesel placard on a tank. It's so if you're in an accident they know what they're dealing with. Using an unmarked container like a 55 gal. drum is asking for trouble. Transfer tank is the easiest and safest way but any container needs to be either bolted down or securely strapped in. Not sure when it became illegal but you can't carry bulk quantities of gasoline. Diesel isn't considered flammable. There are double wall transfer tanks but I'm not sure if they can be used to carry gasoline. It might be OK if it's just to go from the pump directly to farm, work site, etc. where it will be unloaded. I bought a 65 gal. half round slip tank and a manual Fill-rite pump and it was one of the best things I ever bought, especially when doing snow removal in the middle of the night. I found a 12V pump on sale and upgraded several years ago.​

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I think you can carry up to 119 gallons of RUG or 100LL under federal rules. State rules often vary. The trick is to try and find a slip tank rated rated for gasoline. Or, get around that by using drums that have a UN# on them ( approved packaging). I’ve never seen an UN31Y rated IBC small enough. Those Global Industry Trans Totes are rated for RUG and they make a cute one that fits in a pickup bed.

I see many slip tanks in my area packing around 100LL. They never get hassled by the man. Probably because people driving around in new Dmax’s and King Ranch Superduty’s enroute to top off their Super Cubs probably have a get out of jail card.

Coaldust

Occupation
Hold on, everyone. Let me ask my Safety & Compliance Officer what our SOP is for hauling gasoline. Duh,....

She says we can load no more than two drums. The drums have to be new. (Can’t fill customer drums). Proper labels, no placards. And shipping papers.

IDK? Tell me if this is wrong. I’m not going to argue with her. Look at that dedication. She’s off the clock but keeps her safety vest ready for go time. 087A4389-0251-4D47-AABF-2BBCFE3390C5.jpeg

Welder Dave

I've seen 165 gal. slip tanks. The double wall tanks might be approved for gasoline but they're expensive. I believe there is a limit on how much you can carry. I also think transfer tank means just that, for transferring fuel from point A to point B and not constantly carrying it.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Have heard of some people using dyed diesel in their slip tank to run their pick up. They hide the fuel line as best as possible and if they get checked the truck tank has road fuel. Big fine if they get caught though.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Have heard of some people using dyed diesel in their slip tank to run their pick up. They hide the fuel line as best as possible and if they get checked the truck tank has road fuel. Big fine if they get caught though.
Heard years ago that the IRS is wise to that, and simply sections the fuel filter to look for dye.
First offense is $10k

cfherrman

If your transferring gas over 5 gallons it has to have a label on it saying something it's approved by dot to transfer gas. I know a few people caught because we use gas in oilfield to clean stuff and it was common to have 20-30 gal gas tanks in the pickup. They had to unload the tank and was no fine or ticket.

This is the pump I used to transfer diesel. If you don't do it much it's a great deal. I plan on using it to fill hydraulic tanks from a drum next.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3047055566...CwcNtyT3/ekJuCfhdSu9IUTH8d|tkp:Bk9SR5CnlIK6YQ

Coaldust

Occupation
This is a cool slip tank we built for home heat delivery for a private remote island. Named the rig Felicia, because Bye Felicia. What a relief to see it leave.

I don’t recall the capacity, but the weight was about 80% of the payload rating for the new 3500HD.

Later, the terminal manager lost the vented cap and used a regular pipe cap. The vapor pressure delta was enough to split a bottom weld and all the fuel fell out.

Lots of bad decisions were made for that entire project, but people were cold and a once annual barge timeline was short. 6091D45F-EBE0-4ECC-B61C-073A2C75C617.jpeg2EDC6630-9066-4856-AFD8-F266A8FFC4EB.jpeg

clydesdale6

Update: I purchased a 106 gallon aluminum transfer tank. The question now is, what is a economical smart pump choice with filter? I am looking for something simple. I even thought of a hand pump, but those don't seem to be cheap at all. The Filtrite hand pump is about $200. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

Tinkerer

I would recommend a piston pump. That is one that you push and pull the handle.
It is moves fluid a lot faster than a rotary pump.
I don't care for rotary pumps because they tire ed my arm when I had to pump a lot of gallons.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
Hand pumps are fine, as Tinkerer said get the push pull kind. Or just get electric, I think they wind up being a couple hundred more than the hand pumps, not really much price difference in the big picture.

clydesdale6

I was thinking hand pump, thinking it would last longer. This will be outside and I don't want it to go bad. I don't mind paying for a decent pump. Just not sure what is the best move for light use. Some things go bad from lack of use. Cousin of mine mentioned a Makita battery pump for $300. That is what he uses.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
You'll be much happier with an electric pump if you fuel much. Anything over 20 gallons transferred gets to wearing on the operator. I always have a generator with me and my "Gasboy" pump is 120VAC and the hoses and filler neck operate just as a service station does including automatic shutoff when full.

cfherrman

I think a hand pump will last as long as an electric, it's really close to the same thing even though it's not, the only thing that would not last on the electric is the wires, which are easy to change and and replace, an also will still last a long time.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Time is money. Electric with an auto-shutoff nozzle allows you to grease while fueling. Size your pump GPM to your needs. If you don't pump more than 10 gal/week, then you might want to consider a hand pump. Electrics last fine in the weather and I think they are easier to rebuild than the manual ones I've had.

I went with a 30 GPM pump on my service truck to cut down on wasted refueling time. I usually have to pump 80-175 gal depending on which machine. Saving time saves money and pays for the upgraded performance. Be sure to filter your fuel at every transfer point.