• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Off road diesel set up for my skid steer

clydesdale6

Great info guys. Can you control the manual to slow it down to a near trickle or is the thing essentially an on off trigger?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Many auto stop nozzles fail in cold weather. Pain in the butt. Some of the fuel contracts require auto stop. I’ve had fair luck with this one. At $199 a pop.

HUSKY | 651910-03 | VIIIS HEAVY DUTY DIESEL COLD WEATHER NOZZLE​

Welder Dave

Welder Dave, just to clarify, are you saying these things struggle to pump at 0 celcius, 32 degrees? Or even -10celcius or 14 degrees? If so, that is a problem. At 32 degrees, it MUST pump. 14 degrees a little easier to plan around, but where I am, 32 degrees can happen for 1-2 months consecutively. I need to clarify this because if it is problematic below 32 degrees, then I would have to go with the manual.
1693ta, thanks. I do see these can be bought for far less on Amazon.
The auto nozzle that came in my Fill Rite kit was such a pain when it was below freezing temps. I'd have to take it off and just stick the hose in the tank I was filling. Some people have stuck the nozzle in their exhaust pipe to warm it up so it will pump. That's a PIA too. The nozzle also drips no matter what you do before you hang it back on the pump. The back window of my truck was always dirty because of the dripping diesel attracting dirt like a magnet. Look on the internet, there's lots of complaints. There are better auto nozzles that work in the cold but they are pricey like Coaldust mentioned.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have the same issue when it gets real cold. I am "stick the nozzle in the tail pipe" guy. While it would be good if Fillrite used the more expensive nozzle, I don't blame them for the nozzle.

clydesdale6

Thanks guys. I will go with the manual nozzle.
I spoke with tech support at Fill Rite, who was very helpful, and I will be going with the heavy duty 15gpm pum. The heavy duty pump comes with a telescopic pickup tube, rather than PVC that you cut, a longer hose, and better warranty. There was some other mild differences, that I don't recall, but that was enough for me to chose it over the standard duty pump. I think I am also going with the filter linked below.
Overall, I think the set up could be considered over kill for my needs, but I could not find a different solution that I was comfortable with.

cfherrman

I've had that filter and not a fan, I just use the regular spin on type. The clear housing yellows and also like to leak over time. You also have to clean it during filter changes and I never used the drain function. I guess it might be handy idk and it's nice to see if the filter is plugged but you will know because it will take forever.

clydesdale6

Did it leak from the bottom petcock or at the base? BTW, I just discovered that I can save about 10% by purchasing the pump and filter from Tractor Supply instead of Amazon.

cfherrman

Both I think, I bought my own recently as the previous were from a place I worked at. I got mine from home Depot online and was a really good buy. I use the cimtek filter till it's done then screw on a Baldwin equivalent, I think it's still 10 micron you can get higher or lower irc.

clydesdale6

I ended up ordering the pump and the filter from Tractor Supply, cheaper than Amazon. But, I may end up returning the filter before even opening the box. I sort of misread the description and I thought it was a water separator. I don't believe it is. It is a "hydrosorb" filter. Anybody know if they make an actual water separator that works on auxillary tanks and pumps? Thanks.

Delmer

I would think a hydrosorb would be a water absorbing filter, rather than a water separator. It will be more effective than a separator, but will be disposable, once it's absorbed it's limit of water, it's done.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I've been using Napa 4389 or Wix 24389 that have a water separator bowl on the bottom. I've been using these filters for over 25 years on all of my transfer tanks with really good results.
24389[1].jpg

clydesdale6

That Wix appears to be the same as Baldwin b10-AL. That is the way they describe it in this link and it looks exactly like the Goldenrod that I ordered on Amazon. I went with the Goldenrod over the Fill Rite because they appear to be the same but the replacement filters are a bit cheaper and most importantly, it uses 3/4 thread instead of 1 inch, so I don't need any reducers or adapters.
I have noticed elsewhere that the Wix appears to be same as Baldwin. The Baldwin looks just like the Goldenrod? If so, I don't think it really is a separator, but a "hydrosorb" type filter instead. At the moment, I am leaning to sticking with the Goldenrod coming from Amazon, unless something better comes to light soon. Thanks!!

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I had a Goldenrod brand filter many years ago with a plastic outer housing. The sunlight destroyed it, it cracked and was tossed. I never went back to that brand again because of that. Once I standardized with the Napa/Wix filters, and they worked well, I've always stuck with the same in order to stick to one filter number for several different pour points. I run up to 30 GPM with a single filter without problems. JMHO, YMMV.

clydesdale6

OK. If I go Goldenrod, I will definitely keep an eye on it. Thanks. My next question about the drain on the tank. This is an auxiliary tank and I did see some installations in truck beds that have a ball valve inserted where the drain plug is. That got me thinking, which could be bad. Maybe I want a ball valve drain, rather than the plug. I would make sure the drain valve is protected from impact. But, is this a good idea, bad idea, not needed, not smart, ect?