• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Odd problem getting on site

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
HEF has been targeted with DOS attacks that overload the server and shut it down. Our techs have done everything they can to filter out these attacks but any further steps will dramatically effect our membership. The attacks come and go, I have experienced trouble one minute and the next it loads fine.

Please be patient and reload when you have trouble, you might have to take a break for a few minutes and return. It's very frustrating on my end too, we made a considerable investment installing HEF on a state of the art server. People suck.

chidog

Maybe its the choice of operating system for the servers. I would think by now with all the top computer people all the nasty computer issues would be a thing of the past.

Welder Dave

The hackers are getting smarter too. I don't think it's too far fetched that cyber crime units are hiring top hackers to come work for them.

Shimmy1

Are you paranoid you're going to log off and never get back on? Why don't you put all this stuff in one thread instead of starting 50 threads? Just a question.

Welder Dave

Different problem from not being able to get on at all. I never knew the site was hacked the first time. If you don't have any problems why do read the thread(s)? Obviously with the responses other members are having similar problems. How can the admin. fix problems if they don't know about them??

cfherrman

Dos attacks are denial of service so a attacker finds a port that the server must have and sends bogus requests to it which the server rejects, but it takes a moment of time to do that, then multiply that by 1,000,000 a second.

I know other servers that get attacked like this and it sucks, not much you can do.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Just to clarify, we've never been hacked. Our member's information has never been at risk.

As cfherrman described, the site is under attack from time to time that binds up the server and makes it difficult for membership to access. Because modern technology allows for IP changes on the fly it's very difficult to block them without blocking the membership.

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
I've got the weird problem of not getting the site from my phone but my linux desktop has no problem. Same with other sites tho... I'm blaming android for this problem.... Only goog sites work on it.........

cfherrman

While the site is under attack it's easier to contact mars.

It's probably a competitor to this website trying to drive traffic off it, don't fall for it.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Ever since shimmy outed the scumbags with the bogus excavator for sale, they hammered him and the time frame is right for this site as well. It just sucks that some foreign entity feels the need to disrupt this site. Nothing to do but feed their little superiority complex by pushing a button. Like the little puppet...."I KILL YOU"

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Ever since shimmy outed the scumbags with the bogus excavator for sale, they hammered him and the time frame is right for this site as well. It just sucks that some foreign entity feels the need to disrupt this site. Nothing to do but feed their little superiority complex by pushing a button. Like the little puppet...."I KILL YOU"
What was the story there? I missed all that.

cfherrman

There was a poster asking about a joint with cheap equipment, shimmy (or someone) figured it out as a scam and the scammer was texting and calling him and attacked the site from them on.

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
It was actually his dad he had to convince the seller was a scammer. Shortly after exposing scam and posting ad here, his issues started. No shame on him, several times members (including myself) have tried to expose scams of this nature to try and save someone else from getting taken. Unfortunately this turd has advanced online terrorist skills. The I kill you part is just from Jeff Dunhams puppet Achmed the terrorist.