• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Now Just Suppose

Kenskip1

Well, to sum it up. first of all I happen to agree with 85% of the suggestions.
Let me vent a bit. I had spinal surgery in 1990.Declaired totally disabled buy SSA doctor. However I found that working out helped my condition. I left NY because the cold winters hurt my back and was taking pane meds three times a day. In 2006 I moved to Coleman Texas. My back responded to the change in a favorable way. I got a part time job working on a cattle ranch in Coleman Texas. In my spare time I repaired small engines and sharpened chain saws. On the ranch I was constantly moving 5.5 foot round bales around with the john Deere tractor.
While I was in Coleman 2006-2015 I was a volunteer fireman .I kept all the old trucks and pumps in working order. And this was not an easy task. I pumped the fire trucks and drove to many grass fires. I loved my friends in Coleman however,,, the summers heat was simply to hot.
So I arrived in Missouri in 2016. I love it here. But what got me interested in excavators was simply watching videos. I new that this is something that I would excel at. I like working with machinery and I get along with most people.
In 2016 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. The VA told me to wait and see what was going to happen. BTY, I was in the USAF for 12 years working or "crewing B52G"
Anyway after being diagnosed with cancer I did not want to do anything. My PSA was 1.3 and was slowly increasing to as of August 2022 to 5.7. The VA told me to wait. I told them that I was tired of waiting. Anyway I had my prostate removed on November 7th of last year. PSA now is 0.01
So now being older and now free from cancer I decided to pursue something that I liked and this is operating machinery. It appears as if I will not have the opportunity to fulfill this desire.
However I still have an Ace up my sleeve.
In this picture I am the one in the middle. I am the driver of this rig.
Thanks for letting me vent.
2016-02-07 15.47.06 Grass Fire Coleman texas.jpgJohn Deere and trailer JPEG 2.jpgJohn Deere trailer 2  JPEG 22.jpg

MG84

What you want to do isn’t unobtainable, but the way you are planning to go about it is completely backwards IMO. You’re putting all your eggs in one basket, if everything works out you may make it work, if another 2008 comes along you’ll loose your machine and trash your credit, or worse.

As I said before, I doubt your going to make it doing general excavation with a machine that size. A few ideas of things that might work with a machine that size (although they may require some additional equipment): landscaping/hardscaping, cable installer, yard drainage(gutters, french drains, etc), property maintenance (residential and light commercial), walking trail builder, retaining walls. Is it going to be as productive as a larger machine, no, but those businesses aren’t completely centered around machine production. You’re using the machine to complete a task, and if you bid the jobs right you'll be making well above the hourly rate that size machine should earn.

Once you have a business in mind, start to gather all the small stuff you’ll need, get the legal and business side in order and get a few jobs under your belt with rented machines. As mentioned above, if you can’t make money using a rented machine you sure can’t afford to own one. Once you have a workable business model, some contacts and clients and a little cash in the bank THEN you buy a machine. Heck, in 6-12mo you might make enough to pay cash for a machine and leave the bank out of it.

Here’s a good thread from a few years back that you might find interesting:
Story of my business, starting from the trunk of my car

Last edited: