• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Story of my business, starting from the trunk of my car

Aliate

So Ive always been a member of this forum and lurk around from time to time. A lot of people on here might want to start a business, especially in excavation but they might believe that the barrier to entry ($$$) is too high. Ive been meaning to share my story but Ive wanted to wait until I hit a good milestone to start.

In later posts I will go into more details about my progression with more pictures.

I worked for a large excavating company, about 300 employees for about a year, while living in seattle. I have be around some form of utility and excavating work my whole life, but did not have much hands on experience, aside from a natural ability for operating, and learning very quickly from my mistakes, which were many. I wanted to start a business because after my first child, I no longer wanted to work for someone else into the 7 to 8pm days while my wife was waiting for me at home, while being lucky to take home $1,000 in a week. If I was going to be working late, Id do it for myself and make the money accordingly. I grew tired of people telling me to stay off equipment if I didnt know what I was doing. Which was true, I really didnt have a clue while I was learning.

So off I went, put in my two weeks notice, had about $5,000 saved up, a plate compactor and demo saw I bought used off of craigslist and my ford fusion that I would need to take the car seat out of so I could go do a job. I go a phone from sprint that had unlimited minutes for about $35/month with their framily plan, a PO box to use as my mailing address and a registered agent to use as a physical address, which to this day I still use. I do not like to associate my home address with the biz. And I was off!!

I had recently moved to Seattle a few years back so I knew basically no one, the only thing I knew from a previous business when I was younger was that property management companies had tons of small jobs, like concrete sidewalk panels, that would be perfect for me. So I started cold calling, 4,000mins a month, local property management companies, and kept track of who I called and how often I would call them back to hound them more.

The first year was rough, I did $19k gross. Terrible. Anytime I got a job, I would either use my car, or go to U haul and rent a pick up truck to get done what I needed. I learned to fit a 8' form in my car and actually got quite a bit done that way.

After property management companies picked up in the second year, I moved into digging in utilities for comcast, doing house burials. I saved money from that, which was a huge battle by itself, and started purchasing equipment. We now do commercial foundation backfills, excavating and utilities. We do very little residential work. As time goes on I will add to this thread, I hope some use it as motivation/inspiration to get started on their own. If you have the determination, nothing is impossible and this thread will be proof of that.

This was taken in 2014, somewhere around June

IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0408.JPG

And this was just a few weeks ago (2017)

IMG_2084.JPG

Aliate

Some glamour shots. The 130 is a beauty, 2500 hrs, hyd quick coupler, PSM progressive link thumb, fully loaded. The mini, 35D, is a dog, my first machine, bought it at 5800 hrs, came with hoe pack, tilt attachment (helac head), 3 buckets, has about 6600hrs now, its getting traded in tomorrow morning for a zaxis 35 with 400 hrs, Ill get some pics.

IMG_4893.JPG IMG_4894.JPG

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
That's a heck of a story! I'm very impressed by the effort that you put in and got some dividends finally paying you back!

Hobbytime

nice story, one question, did you get proper insurances from the beginning? incorporate to protect your personal assets from lawsuits? there is alot more to starting a business then just buying some tools and going to work..looks like your doing good..and hustling for yourself is alot more rewarding than for someone else to reap the profits of your hard work..

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
So I would like you to discuss financing if you want.

You started in the car because work flow was not steady enough to finance a new/used truck?

Once it got going were you able to pay cash or finance new stuff or a combination of the two?

Aliate

nice story, one question, did you get proper insurances from the beginning? incorporate to protect your personal assets from lawsuits? there is alot more to starting a business then just buying some tools and going to work..looks like your doing good..and hustling for yourself is alot more rewarding than for someone else to reap the profits of your hard work..

I filed my own articles of incorporation, and filed for my subchapter S designation myself. I was bonded, had a general liability and commercial auto policy from day one. My ford fusion was listed as my first commercial vehicle so I could create a policy in the first place. I also had a amex business credit card from day one which allowed me to build history for the biz.

So I would like you to discuss financing if you want.

You started in the car because work flow was not steady enough to finance a new/used truck?

Once it got going were you able to pay cash or finance new stuff or a combination of the two?

I did not have space for two vehicles first of all. Second I had zero customers and zero income, nothing to justify buying a work vehicle. Property management companies, my first target customer base did not care what type of equipment or vehicle you had, they just wanted the jobs done and looking good.

First excavator, the 35D, I bought cash. Before that there was quite a few tools I had purchased, all cash (minus the trucks), by that point I had two 70cfm compressors, two hole hogs, a vibratory plow, single axle tilt deck, two work trucks etc. etc. I mixed cash and financing. I have really pulled out all the stops this year, which is risky, but the market is literally as good as it can be over here, were absolutely swamped with work from multiple customers at this point.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have really pulled out all the stops this year, which is risky, but the market is literally as good as it can be over here, were absolutely swamped with work from multiple customers at this point.

I assume you have done a comparison against renting?

If you are swamped with work I am curious if it allows you to accelerate payoff of financing, or at least pile up cash elsewhere so that you are gaining equity?

Aliate

I assume you have done a comparison against renting?

If you are swamped with work I am curious if it allows you to accelerate payoff of financing, or at least pile up cash elsewhere so that you are gaining equity?

People wont take you seriously if you are renting equipment. I rented when I needed to for the first two years, it got me nowhere. Work came when I bought the gear. If the machines turn every day, they will pay for themselves in a hurry.

Aliate

So I said goodbye to the old deere, 6600 hrs, it had done its fair share of work. It was time to move on. The first week of July we are supporting a piling crew on a hillside, and a mini with almost 7,000hrs has no place on a job like that.

2015 Hitachi 35 with 400hrs, still under warranty. Got a good deal on my trade in and I keep all my attachments, minus swapping my 2' dig bucket for a new one.

I didnt realize how much stress that deere caused me until it was gone.

IMG_0212.JPG

My right hand guy on the machine

IMG_0213.JPG

Hobbytime

congrats on the new equipment..looks like you have a sound business plan..best of luck..

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
We didn't document it because we'd rather not remember it! Great story. It would be an inspiration to all the snot nosed snowflakes that think they should be given everything :). I started with nothin myself. Still have most of it left!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
People wont take you seriously if you are renting equipment. I rented when I needed to for the first two years, it got me nowhere. Work came when I bought the gear. If the machines turn every day, they will pay for themselves in a hurry.

Funny you say that. I work for a major construction rental outfit and our new strategy is to remove all the decals from our equipment except for unit numbers. The theory being exactly what you said. Makes it appear that the customer owns the machine and isn't renting it.

Very inspiring story BTW.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Maybe it is the regulatory climate out here but it seems like most contractors, large and small, tend to own specialized pieces and rent 50% or more of your run of the mill tractors, excavators, generators, etc.

Just my observation from the side of the road.

JDOFMEMI

I remember following some of your earliest posts here on HEF, and am happy to hear you are doing well.

It takes a lot of hard work and commitment to succeed, and it sounds like you are getting it done.

Congratulations.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I'm most impressed by the plate compactor in the car.

It makes me tired just thinking about picking up the phone to call for one of those things. I don't even like running them. Let alone shoving one into a car.

Aliate

Heres some more of pictures of the beginning for you guys. This was my second time around, as JD remembers so I knew that I wanted to take pictures as I went.

This was literally everything I owned at the end of my first year, as far as tools went. I also traded in the fusion for a 2015 F350, gasser, but it had 96 miles on it and other than the gas motor it had all the options that mattered, 4x4, locking rear, towing package etc. It was just an XL but I didnt care, I was so happy to have a truck, no more renting U haul pick up trucks.

IMG_0025.JPG

Hertz was the only place that would let me rent a dump trailer and load a mini into it. This was for a job for a mall where I tore out a few landscaping islands, made some smaller and some paving. Started with cold calling the mall, turned into about a 12k job.

IMG_0126.JPG

Concrete was how I broke in. I did need anything but a few small tools and I could charge a good price for my work. This was to repair part of a basketballs court, got this job also from cold calling a real estate agent. Kids vandalized the concrete as soon as I left....
IMG_0291.JPG

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Congrats man that's quite an accomplishment in 3 years. Good luck in the future.

I find the reasons for you starting your own business interesting. Since I didn't take over my father's business for those exact reasons just a different point of view. When I was off work I wanted to be off work. Not worrying about vendors, jobs, employees, and etc.

Your story reminds me of one of my old employers. He started out just like you pretty much. He would remove concrete slabs by digging a hole underneath the edge. Using an old mechanical jack he bought from the railroad so he could lift it to break it easier with a sledgehammer. Then he would hand loaded all the broken concrete in it in the 1970s ear F150 that he converted into a dump bed.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Congrats on the company you've built. I too have followed the old threads on HEF and your company FB page and enjoyed watching the progress. Hard work and determination still gets results.

Just a question about the commercial backfill jobs. Here the initial site contractor usually takes all foundation backfill, I do in my contracts. Just curious as to why the GC's break out the foundation backfill in your work area.