• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Norwegian lowboy

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Here is some pictures of a true US style lowboy taken at the Volvo HQ in Oslo.

Scania stopped produsing this type of cabs som years ago.
They where loading this brand new volvo 360 Exc yesterday evening.

He got a single axle that can be attached to the back of tractor if its nessecery. You can se the brackets on the tractor.
He also got 4 positions for the king-pin in the gooseneck.
And apr 10 feet of adjusting lenght for the turning table.
V8 520+ hp.

Trailer can also be extended with single, double or tripple axles.
He also got a extension that can be hooked in front of the trailer.
Between the trailer and the goseneck.

Attachments

• 2007_08030005.JPG
    2007_08030005.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 1,615
  • 2007_08030006.JPG
    2007_08030006.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,796
  • 2007_08030009.JPG
    2007_08030009.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,627
  • 2007_08030007.JPG
    2007_08030007.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,539
  • 2007_08030008.JPG
    2007_08030008.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 1,546

jimmyjack

i sat here for a couple seconds loookin at that truck ,i just can't find anything i really like about it :beatsme its nice but i guess it not for me. lookinat the spread on the axles on the trailer i bet that turns great:pointhead

surfer-joe

I was thinking the same thing. My brother & I had some spreads and it was a chore turning them loaded. I don't think I've ever seen a loboy with spread axles. The closest would be a California four axle trailer. I can think of a couple of drop-deck model spreads, but they were really for lighter loading.

Is that tractor a Volvo or a Scania, MKTEF? Sorta neat, almost retro 50's styling.

wrenchbender

Well I would like to own one them thar trucks. If fer no other reason than juzz to make these fellers around town git a crick in thier necks. Trying ta figure out who makes'em and where I got it!:D I'm with surfer-joe on the retro 50's part I guess that's what I like about it.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
No its not a Pete or a T-800 Kenworth but it does the job. The one contractor that has a lowbed and does most of the lowbedding runs a T-800 with C-15 power 18spd. The other day they hauling a log loader its a heavy machine weighs 102,000lbs the C-15 (550hp) was straining under that load the truck torquing up.

I noticed with that truck pictured the truck looks like it has planetary rears ?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I guessed u would react boy's:D

V8 is always a Scania here around.

I am not shure of the exact modell, it can be a 14 litre or a 16 litre.
And the hp can be from 520-620. Depending on the exact year and modell.

And i have to say, its realy a ordinary truck in my mind. No extray chrome, paint and such.:eek:

And it got a tandem with planetary gears, i don't know if he got a retarder and converter. He might have so, if they spent the money when new.
Tandem on this one is a air ride, so i mean it is rated around 40-42 000 lbs.

Talking about load, we transport our Leo-2 Tanks with a 3 axle tractor and a 6 axeled trailer, totalweight is around 198 000 lbs.
Our old V8, 520 ps, Scania 143 has problems.... But with the converter u get it rolling.
But in the hills u better get prepared for some slow moving and sometimes 6wd has to be used.

The axels on this trailer is a boogie and then a single axle.(spacing desides)
He can then have 39 683Lbs on the boogie and 22 000 lbs on the single axle.
Max total weight for this combination, without a special permit, is 110 000 lbs on the main roads. That is if he got stearing on the last one.
(i bet he's got stearing on the 2 last ones:) )
And i bet he's got lift on the last two also, to improve handling.

Normaly he's got a yearly permit that gives him some extra on that combination, i guess he's got max around 120-130 000 lbs on this spesific combination.(he's got 4 axl on the tractor, instead of 3 axl)
And with a empty weight of apr 44 000lbs he's got some loading capacity.:D

Ross

Yep. One of the best Heavy haulage rigs about.

I am sure I saw a T Cab the other day on a 2006 plate.

I would think this model is a T164 580 hp model as I haven't encountered any 520hp units?

The planets on the back and super single steer would indicate at least 150 ton plate on the unit. Maybe more with the tag axle. I don't know why they would bother with a auto tranny as the manual 12 speed would be quite sufficient for the duty's its rated at.

Full air on the rears but springs on the front?

Ive done quite a bit repair work on T164's and they put the Engine oil cooler on the back of the Transmission for some reason???

Has this unit got the Leather Recaro seats and double glazing etc?

Thanks for posting the pics anyway.

Ross

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
We used to see Scania trucks here but they stopped importing them over 10 years ago, I'm not sure why. It's interesting to see how the heavy loads are handled over there, the rigs are quite a bit different than we are used to seeing.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Ross you are correct in the details here.:notworthy

I spoted this one, when i was taking some spypictures of our new graders in the yard at the Volvo HQ.
Pictures is from the parking area, in front of the main building.

I don't think they got a automatic gearbox, but some of the heavy mowers here have the hydraulic clutch and retarder on their manual gearbox.
(we got on our 143's)
I think the placement of the cooler can have something to do with the retarder. When u got one, it works whith oil, and is cooled by the cooling water. This heat exchange is done back at the gearbox.
And there is plenty of radiators in front. Intercooler, water and A/C.

And i agree on the air and springs at front, thats the usual solution here around.

I didn't look inside the cab to see what type of seats they got.
The driver was loading the excavator while i was there.:cool:

Ross

We used to see Scania trucks here but they stopped importing them over 10 years ago, I'm not sure why. It's interesting to see how the heavy loads are handled over there, the rigs are quite a bit different than we are used to seeing.
Yeah, I dont think the long haul guys in the states would like the smaller units we see here. Scania made a XXX R Cab but i haven't seen any yet.
Also you guys tend to stick with Americian trucks which is a good thing.
Iam sure i saw a few Volvo FN(Bull nose, Non tilt) Units in the states but there thin on the ground
we got on our 143's
143 450hp is one of the best Scania trucks made. They made a 500hp version but i dont think they made a 6x4 unit and Haulage companys had to stretch them out.
I don't think they got a automatic gearbox, but some of the heavy mowers here have the hydraulic clutch and retarder on their manual gearbox.
Yeah thats a true statment. Ordinary T Cabs still have the cooler there (well did dam them :) ) And use an exahaust brake.
I saw a doubler hydaulic clutch on one big unit and there was a huge cooler for it running off its own fans above the cab. Very impresive.

Ross

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Well Ross, i found another picture of the truck, it's either a 530 or a 630 ps.:)

And here's two pictures of the same truck, but loaded with a Cat 350 demolition machine.
And he has added the extra axles for this transport.:)
As i can see theese pictures is of a older trailer.
This is a VM trailer, the one i pictured is a VANGS trailer.
But i bet he still got the same solution with the extra boogie on the trailer.
Everybody here got extra axles to hook on to the trailer.
And vangs make a system where u fold them back on top of the trailer, when u drive empty or with less load.
Pictures from tungtransport.com.

Attachments

• scaniat164-1.jpg
    scaniat164-1.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,437
  • T164-2.jpg
    T164-2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,894

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
You are right again ross.:D

Its only 450 ps in our old 143.
We got a manual 12 speed + a hydraulic clutch and a retarder.
The clutch is like a converter in low gears and direct in the high range.
The retarder is bolted on the back of the gearbox.:)
Retarder works whith oil and a heatexchanger at the back of the gearbox.
Cooled by the cooling water, rather nasty, cause if u drive it with a heavy load and go for max retarder it boils the water in seconds.
And it gets realy messy in the front and sometimes on the windshield.:(

I am thinking of our CV90 that has a up powered 14 litre Scania.
We had a lot of problems getting 520ps out of the old 14l.:cool:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Volvo is a big name here in over the road trucks these days. The last time I took an extended trip I was amazed to see the number of them out there, it seemed like every fifth truck was Volvo. Volvo bought up GMC trucks and White, then dropped the lines. I believe Autocar got lost in that shuffle too.

The Scania's I saw here were used as work platforms, as dump or fuel trucks. There never were a lot of them, but you'd see one once in a while.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Doesn't Volvo North America own Mack trucks ?

A truck with planetary rears would be one heck of a puller but she wouldn't have a high road speed. They also could be expensive to repair.

The second set of pictures of the lowbed the tractor looks like a cabover with a hood stuck on it :D

Ross

Well Ross, i found another picture of the truck, it's either a 530 or a 630 ps
Thanks for posting the pics :drinkup Its hard to tell what hp the unit is from the pics.
Retarder works whith oil and a heatexchanger at the back of the gearbox.
Cooled by the cooling water, rather nasty, cause if u drive it with a heavy load and go for max retarder it boils the water in seconds.
Well that can cause no end of problems. Have to be a good driver to keep within service parameters.
We had a lot of problems getting 520ps out of the old 14l
I bet there was problems. I think the 143 was best at 450 hp. The only non custom 143 500hp units were 4x2's?:beatsme
A truck with planetary rears would be one heck of a puller but she wouldn't have a high road speed. They also could be expensive to repair.
Yeah well they use a 16 sp box but disable the 2nd split (8~12 range) The units in question will be good for 56mph. Speed limit for Heavy vehicles here is 56mph(90Kms or so :beatsme ) I haven't done anything with the planets as there pretty reliable and underworked. Also the reduction isnt that much greater as they use a smaller diff reduction.
The second set of pictures of the lowbed the tractor looks like a cabover with a hood stuck on it
The R cab(Tilt) and T cab share the same cab. :drinkup Good eyes :drinkup

Ross

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
The new Hino medium duties look like that. Hino doesn't seem to sell cab over trucks trucks anymore but their new conventional cabs look like a cabover with a hood stuck on it and the wheels moved forward.

Planetary rears are not used much for on highway uses in B.C. maybe in Alberta where they use bed trucks for the oil fields planetarys are used for on highway. Off highway like logging trucks use 90,000lb Planetary rears.

On the West Coast side of the rockies trucks are geared to pull grades so 90-100km/h is as fast as a empty lowbed or train truck (super B) should be going anyways. If the planetaries allow for 90 klicks thats pretty good.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Volvo is a big name here in over the road trucks these days. The last time I took an extended trip I was amazed to see the number of them out there, it seemed like every fifth truck was Volvo. Volvo bought up GMC trucks and White, then dropped the lines. I believe Autocar got lost in that shuffle too.

The Scania's I saw here were used as work platforms, as dump or fuel trucks. There never were a lot of them, but you'd see one once in a while.

Volvo where intent on buying a controlling interest in Scania but I think the EU competition watchdog put an end to that deal. Scania Road trains here are available at 500 and 580 Hp for the DC16 V8 engine. Volvo and Scania together just exceed Kenworths market share of 25% of the Australian Market for Heavy Haul. If you add DAF then European Trucks outsell American orgin trucks 3:2...probably on the basis of fuel economy and for some, safety. Interestingly DAF is brought to Australia by PACCAR and sold side by side with Kenworth.

Hino...not having a cabover?? The only long nose Hino make is the 600 series NA spec (see Hino North America)
http://www.hino.com.au/Models/700Series/tabid/66/Default.aspx

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Ross here is some of the info regarding the 520ps 14l;

The No Army bought the Swedish CV 90 infantry fighting vehicle some years ago.
The producer promissed some 500++ hp in it. With the Scania 14 litre.(hägglunds vehicle)

We got our own testingcells at our main garrage for main battle tanks.
Some olderly..ehh senior workers.. with a lot of expertise on testing engines and gearboxes. They handle everything from the small ones to the V12 1500ps Main battle tank engines, with the gearbox on the engine. There is some torque out of those renk gearboxes...

Well, the scania got so much vibration in the register when u pass 500 hp, that the engine oil pump bolts snapped off directly. Result is obvious.
So u increase those; gears then take the night.
So they added a inside c clip ring in the gears as a vibration damper. That works rather well, but u get other problems.

The exsaust temp is then so high that the bolts between the exaust manifold and the turbo is red and getting longer....
Yes, and then exaust cuts the fuel line, we are talking about the engine compartment of a fighting vehicle.....This is not funny.

I am not shure of the exact ps today, but i mean it is around 520 ps.
And our senior guys in the cells with their computers and stuff has more competence in testing engines than Scania does.(I said testing, not producing)
It's their life to test components like this.(some say kill the engines);)

Say AEP-5 to a Scania engineer from Sweden and i bet he is not your friend anymore.
AEP-5 is a NATO test for endurance of engines. U drive the engine after a program, 24/7, different torque, rpm, axeleration and such.
U run the whole life of a engine in around 500 hours.
If the engine holds it gets tumbs up, if not it will be dead in the test cell.
Some Scania 14l has died in our testcells....

And this is the official info i can tell..:cool: